3.5L HO Rocker Arm Tick - What causes it and the fix - Dodge Charger Forums
V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

#1 Old 02-25-2012, 10:28 AM
Samoan Tsunami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post 3.5L HO Rocker Arm Tick - What causes it and the fix

3.5L HO Rocker Arm Tick - What causes it and the fix

In the 3.5L engine over time there can develop a rocker arm tick. Its usually noticed when the car starts up. For some it may go away after a few minutes of driving. over time however, it will last longer and longer and sometimes may come back while driving here and there. The tick is caused by a rocker dowel pin SHEARING, yes shearing off.

(photo credit:Tbird100636 via LX Forums)

when this occurs the dowel that the rocker arms are located on tend to shift when in use. From the shifting the oiling holes become misaligned and the rockers starve from oil a bit.
(photo credit:Tbird100636 via LX Forums)

you can disassemble and reassemble your current setup, or you can simply buy a whole new setup. when i recently did mine, i just bought the new one as i already have 164K miles.

In most cases after shaft removal, you can see where the wear and movement occured
(photo credit: Chickenstrip via LX Forums)

if you chose to rebuild yourself, here are the part numbers (credit Tbird100636 via LX Forums)
Quote:
Warranty pays just about 2.0 hrs for both banks. They may charge 2.5-3.0 hrs cash.
Part #'s
-Exhaust rocker shaft 4663998- $28.10 list X2
-Rocker shaft pedestal kit (enough for one head) 5191332AB- $63.80 list X2
-Intake rocker shaft (generally not needed, issue is with exhaust shafts and pedestal dowels) 4315823- $36.60 list X2
Rocker arms-Intake
-Left-3 per head, total of 6- 4573459- $26.95 list
-Right-3 per head, total of 6- 4573460- $26.35 list
-Exhaust rocker arms-3 per head, 6 total- 4663996- $50 list

The reason for left and right intake rocker arms is because the exhaust rockers operate two valves, but the intake ones operate only one valve each, so you need three right intakes and three left intakes. List prices, dealer is free to set prices.

The warranty time to do both heads is just over 7 hrs.
If you go the new assembly route:

Part Number: 4892293-AC

example online: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHRYSLER-DOD...ht_2856wt_1163

When i checked the parts manual for my car, there is AA listed behind the part number. The current part number has AC behind it suggesting/showing that its an updated part. As of now, Dodge has strengthened the shaft dowels to prevent the shearing. we'll see how they work in the long run.

Our cars rocker arms are technically cam followers. these ride along the camshaft directly. I know some people say "lifters" but lifters are only in OVERHEAD VALVE engines where a pushrod is used to push on the rocker arm and in turn the rocker arm pushes down on the valve.

in an OVERHEAD CAM setup, which we have a SINGLE OVERHEAD CAM (SOHC) setup, the cam lobes raise the rocker arm directly and the opposite end of the rocker pushes down on the valve.

The part of the rocker that touches the valve is called a LASH ADJUSTER.

There was one TSB that came out about this: Rocker Arm Lash Adjuster TSB

This was a problem on a few cars, but ultimately it came out later that the rocker arm dowel pins ARE the issues.

Lash Adjusters sorta serve a similar purpose as a hydraulic lifter would, when oil pressure comes up from the engine being on, the lash adjuster is pressurized with oil in addition to the spring and cap.

When the lash adjuster isnt pressurized properly, or starved of oil pressure, the ticking noise tends to occur. hence this is the case in the rocker arm tick problem.

THE FIX to the problem is REALLY simple.

The Rocker Arm assembly can be replaced as one entire assembly. shouldnt take most more than 1 hours time. Heres a run through of what i did with the repair. Sorry its no video, just pics, but they are pretty straight forward in the order you will do things and what has to be done. VERY BASIC.

i started the car and used an auto stethescope to listen to which valve cover had the tick noise coming from it.

after turning the car off, and removing the upper intake manifold

then remove valve cover to head with ticking issue. for me it was the passenger side cylinder head.

remove the 10 bolts and lift assembly off the head, replace with new assembly

and torque the bolts down to 31 foot lbs...

After that just reassemble and start the car and drive.

other posts relevant to the issue:

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...49&postcount=8
http://www.lxforums.com/board/f62/wt...ot-now-141868/
http://www.lxforums.com/board/f249/i...icking-201632/

*****Will edit this post with more info as i search through my computer and forum links that i've saved. this is basically a compiled fix from others and own experiences thats in one spot******.

Why sit around and watch everyone else live YOUR dream?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-12-2012, 01:19 PM
Miss Innocent

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The sound that this would make... might it be like the sound of the tip of a fan blade slightly hitting something? I have a tick in my engine.. it is there when I start up the car and when I press on the gas or am using the cruise.

#limitededitionlifestyle

A new religion that will bring you to your knees.
#3 Old 05-12-2012, 08:44 PM
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Very nice job with the informationals and the pictures. Rocker assemblies look really clean. Looks like the oils are doing well for you. Unfortunately they can't keep the pins from breaking!

Enjoyed the read!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
#4 Old 05-13-2012, 07:55 AM
dejuan7

I notice ticking after i did my big valve heads and i noticed it was less noticible on BND oils but since ive yet to get some more bnd and running castrol. Its really bad so is it this..or my heads?

GreenGoblin V6 to VVT 5.7 Hemi by PlumFlooredCreations
#5 Old 05-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Taylor990

this is the exact problem mine had! Started a week after i bought the car. Had 35000 miles and warranty until 36000 covered it thank god! Nice to know if it happens again way later on i can take care of it myself. Thanks for the awesome info great thread

Predator 93 Tune, Jba Shorty Headers, ported and polished lower intake manifold, 71mm ported throttle body, 20 inch staggered machine faced viper replicas, K&N Cold Air intake, RT Honeycomb Grill, Dual red/white AAC halos, Debadged, , 15% front 5% back tint. , Rear spoiler, Danko chin spoiler, Fogs, Flowmaster dual exhaust. probably more I can't think of
#6 Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
hskr

Send a message via AIM to hskr Send a message via Yahoo to hskr
Our car started doing this not too long ago. I thought it was due to the extended oil drain. Not blaming the oil itslef, but not having done any oil analysis, and having been in the car for over a year I thought for sure it was time for a change. Will be taking it in to dealer soon to get fixed. I love my lifetime powertrain warranty on my 2008.

Brian

#7 Old 05-19-2012, 09:15 AM
DEMON1C

@hskr If you didn't have that lifetime warranty and you wanted the dealer fix it they quoted me $900. I went ahead and did it my self and saved the labor cost. Sucks my 2006 did not have the lifetime warranty but it all worked out in the end thanks to this forum and
Samoan Tsunami and a few others to guide me in the right direction.

#8 Old 05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Carby

I did this repair last summer in my garage about two weeks after the tick became very noticeable. Very good write-up

CHARGIMUS PRYM 2006 CHARGER SXT Silver Steel Metallic Born:Feb 6, 2006
-R/T Touring Package -Sunroof -SIRIUS -Protection Group
Mods: Quite a few
#9 Old 05-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Samoan Tsunami

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Innocent View Post
The sound that this would make... might it be like the sound of the tip of a fan blade slightly hitting something? I have a tick in my engine.. it is there when I start up the car and when I press on the gas or am using the cruise.
yuppers. it usually increases with rpm...sometimes it will go away hearing it from inside of the car, but when i got out and stood near the hood (being i cut a hole in mine for the vent) i heard it loud and clear. but thats about the right noise you're referring to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 HEMI View Post
Very nice job with the informationals and the pictures. Rocker assemblies look really clean. Looks like the oils are doing well for you. Unfortunately they can't keep the pins from breaking!

Enjoyed the read!

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com
so true... only because this is a mechanical issue. but i AM due for another batch soon! lately alot of funds has gone mostly to being on the road, but i'll ring ya up within the week!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejuan7 View Post
I notice ticking after i did my big valve heads and i noticed it was less noticible on BND oils but since ive yet to get some more bnd and running castrol. Its really bad so is it this..or my heads?
i cant fully say on that, only because with the Inertia heads, theres the lash adjuster caps that are to be run. hopefully you have those on there. also did you re-use the rockers from the original heads. if so, there is a possibility that may be the problem. rockers are like shoes, wear and tear item and have to be replaced/resoled from time to time.. def look into a DIY though, as someone pointed out a dealer wanted 900$.... the parts alone are 400$ for both heads. savin 500$ for a little bit of time is WWWWinnnning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskr View Post
Our car started doing this not too long ago. I thought it was due to the extended oil drain. Not blaming the oil itslef, but not having done any oil analysis, and having been in the car for over a year I thought for sure it was time for a change. Will be taking it in to dealer soon to get fixed. I love my lifetime powertrain warranty on my 2008.
yea, def take advantage of that. this isnt to alarm or scare anyone, but its just basic function: when the valves tick because of the rockers starving for oil, they dont get the full extension of movement. so it can actually decrease performance/MPG's and due to the valve not extended as far and then tapping on the valve seat, if not fixed over time, theres extra stress of the valve head/seat area tappin will be accelerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEMON1C View Post
@hskr If you didn't have that lifetime warranty and you wanted the dealer fix it they quoted me $900. I went ahead and did it my self and saved the labor cost. Sucks my 2006 did not have the lifetime warranty but it all worked out in the end thanks to this forum and
Samoan Tsunami and a few others to guide me in the right direction.
easy fix aint it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby View Post
I did this repair last summer in my garage about two weeks after the tick became very noticeable. Very good write-up
Thanx, i figured to compile something in one spot since there are many threads on the same isue. just hope it helps for some!
#10 Old 07-05-2013, 04:54 PM
msnyder1112

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering, when you pull the assembly out of there, can you replace single lifters?

I plan on replacing the whole assembly, but right now money is tight and I'd love if I could just cease the ticking noise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List