Shorty Headers?...Worth it? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM

Shorty Headers?...Worth it?

Ok so I wanna focus back on my performance. And I'm leaning towards gettin some headers for my 3.5L V6. Anyone done this and notice a difference? Is it worth it?
Blastin Bobs 14db
PD'd Grille
This is my signature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 11:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to Spawn Send a message via MSN to Spawn Send a message via Yahoo to Spawn
yes, yes, and yes. Just make sure you compliment it with a nice exhaust
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 AM

Lol Three Yeses must be worth it. As for the exhaust well Im still only running single but for now I just have dual pipes that I got from Blastin' Bob.
Blastin Bobs 14db
PD'd Grille
This is my signature.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:25 AM

lol no no no its not... the COST just to install it is expensive as hell and the performance gain is very minimal. don't waste your time.

this is my opinion formed by old posts and previous research. been there done that.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Performance wise, probably not. If you don't drag race with your charger where every little horse counts its not worth it because you won't gain much.

But it might make your car/exhaust sound a LITTLE better. So if you want it for the sound then go for it. I still doubt its worth it though.

Only performance mod worth getting for the V6 IMHO is the predator. Unless you are willing to drop thousands of bucks for a supercharger.

2010 Dodge Charger SXT [Dark Titanium]
Modifications: Mopar Cold Air Intake, Predator 91 Octane Tune
- Chief Tragedy
Old 02-23-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Tragedy View Post
Performance wise, probably not. If you don't drag race with your charger where every little horse counts its not worth it because you won't gain much.

But it might make your car/exhaust sound a LITTLE better. So if you want it for the sound then go for it. I still doubt its worth it though.

Only performance mod worth getting for the V6 IMHO is the predator. Unless you are willing to drop thousands of bucks for a supercharger.
Yea I've been hearing a lot about that. I mostly want performance out of it.
Blastin Bobs 14db
PD'd Grille
This is my signature.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 AM

yes they are worth it. i still have mine on and from experience, whether you race or just drive for fun, its a worth while mod that definately gives the car more pep.

intake, headers and exhaust are the basic trinity of mods almost every person has done for ages....the combustion engine hasnt changed (its still "suck-squish-bang-blow" ), and neither has the mods. after that most used to tune. then add a torque converter if you were into drag racing. once again still the same.

i highly dont agree the only performance mod worth getting is the predator..... if you get a tuner, what are you tuning.....a STOCK car. not really alot to tune there.

with headers, intakes, etc you get a larger effect on what you are actually tuning.

headers arent just about making the "car sound better or sweet" (sure its a extra perk of the product, but not the sole reason)....they actually work with keeping the exhaust pulses from the cylinders seperated which is how the power gains come about.

take it from someone who has them...its a worthwhile addition. and at the price of shorties, 380-500$ they are affordable. most of us have spent cash on things like buying a front crosshair grill for around or over 150$ when you can find em on ebay OEM and painted for 35-50$...

if you liked and noticed that "feel" seat of the pants when you added a tuner, you'll get the same when you add headers... accelerating its far smoother with a bit more pull if you are into performance. that was the first thing i noticed when leaving HHP in Deleware when i had them installed a 2 or 3 years ago.

as for superchargers....well, think of it logically like the engine being a human eating and taking a sh**.... an intake allows air in slightly faster & more efficiently. exhaust and headers allow gases out more efficiently & easily.

why would you force feed something (add a supercharger), just to allow stock headers to constipate the side that lets air out? even in stock form, you put more air in, it makes sense to allow more air out...

this clip explains how they work, specifically short tube headers. cue it up to 6 minutes and 34 seconds for the header part

long tube headers are about the only way i would remove these, and prob will soon.

short tube headers work well in mid to high range, but give gains down low. but most will be seen mid to high range. they are also the easiest to install and give gains across the board. welcome addition to anyone who doesnt wanna change much, but still get gains.

long tube headers also work across all ranges, as short tubes do, but more power in the low to mid range. so if down low and mid range is where you need power most, like road course coming out of corners, or autoX... long tubes work most effectively.

(small hint, headers work the same as our intake manifold does with the short runner valve which doesnt open until 5,000rpm aka the high range. during low and mid range the longer runners are in use.)

Last edited by Samoan Tsunami; 02-23-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to Spawn Send a message via MSN to Spawn Send a message via Yahoo to Spawn
like i said. its worth it if you get the whole package. If you just getting the headers than no
Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 AM

My Charger: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
If you have all these mods done, how does the car sound both inside and out... I don't want the car soo loud that I get stopped cause it has happend in the past

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.com App

2010 Dodge Charger 3.5L Brilliant Black (Traded Up) Magnaflow Catback, CAI, 20% tint, Cold Plugs, 100 Shot Zex wet Nitrous Kit.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:21 AM

My Charger: 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Basically I want it to sound nice and mean outside but not annoying or deafening on the inside... No drone either.

Sent from my ADR6300 using AutoGuide.com App

2010 Dodge Charger 3.5L Brilliant Black (Traded Up) Magnaflow Catback, CAI, 20% tint, Cold Plugs, 100 Shot Zex wet Nitrous Kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.