Car stalls for first 75 miles after fill-up. - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Charger SRT-8 Discussion This area is for discussion involving the SRT-8 version of the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:45 PM

Car stalls for first 75 miles after fill-up.

For about the last two months, every time I fill up the car randomly stalls during the first 75ish miles of the fill-up. It will stall 2-4 times usually in those 75 miles. Once the first 75 of a fill-up is gone this is no longer an issue and the car runs great.

At first I was having trouble and I came on here to see other users having the same trouble if they were overfilling the car it would stall. I stopped overfilling the car but it still stalls in the same way. Usually it happens at a redlight but recently it has been happening sometimes under 5mph.

It seems weird to me that after the first 75 there is no longer an issue. I have tried using different gas stations and everything but can not find the problem. Is there any easy fix to this that anyone is aware of? I really do not want to take the car to the dealer without at least knowing what is causing it.

Also my gas gauge is no longer working properly it is stuck at about a half tank, just throwing that in there in case it will help anyone pinpoint any problems.

Thank you in advance

Silver Charger SRT8
Options I II and III
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 01:44 PM

My wild guess is that you overfilled the tank once. Is the car throwing any codes?
1969 Roadrunner in Red Gone, but not forgotten! <beep, beep>
Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 PM

Faulty fuel pump?

COMING SOON!
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
707 horsepower
650 pound feet of torque
Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 PM

Saturated Evap cansister. Replace it.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 02-01-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
That was my theory....
Old 03-26-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
Hey guys, thanks for all of the input, the problem went away for a short period of time but now it's back with a vengeance. I'm going to take your guys advice and replace it. Does anyone know the best place to purchase the evap canister and the evap solenoid? Thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2012, 07:16 AM

The dealer is all I know. I also know if that doesnt fix your issue you will need to replace the fuel tank.. Good luck

www.custombilletstore.com
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Before you replace your tank you may want to try and clean the tank vent valve. This valve is not replaceable separately. If not operating properly it allows liquid fuel to flow to the evap canister and saturate the canister which allows liquid fuel to be vented to the manifold causing stalling to the point of the engine dying a low speeds. I had this problem, and recently replace my tank which solved the problem. I had the dealer return the tank to me after the repair. After cutting the valve from the tank and taking it apart it became clear that nothing was broken, only the valve appeared to be contaminated with a white powder. I suspect this was keeping the valve from sealing properly. I would suggest that before you spend $1000+ for a new tank you try and clean the valve. I suspect this could be done similar to the way fuel injectors are cleaned, by forcing carburetor cleaner or a similar solvent backwards thru the the vent valve in the tank. The vent hose is accessible in the engine compartment at the evap canister. The fuel tank needs to be no more than 1/2 full to ensure the valve is open. I would suggest not putting more than a pint or 2 per tank.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:33 PM

^ he isn't replacing a tank, just the canister. OP when the pump clicks off stop overfilling it.

2012 Mustang - Current

1995 Honda Civic - Daily
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM

The post before was recommending a tank replacement if the canister does not fix the stalling. If the vent valve in the tank is not working properly the new canister will not fix the problem. The canister is like a sponge that absorbs the fuel vapor until the solenoid opens and allows it to be burned by the engine. A saturated canister will dry out if the vent valve in the tank is working properly. That is why the car runs fine after a couple of gallons of fuel have been burned off. The fuel level is low enough that only vapor makes its way to the canister. Verification of the tank problem can be done by only filling the tank to 3/4 full. If the stalling does not occur, then it is most likely the vent valve causing the problem. Fill the tank full until pump clicks and see if problem re-occurs. Since the original poster's last post is so old I assume the issue has been resolved. My point in posting this info was to offer trouble shooting guidance and a potential solution that would save some folks some $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.