22" Wheels and performance sacrifice on 3.5L SXT's - Dodge Charger Forums
Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

#1 Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 AM
TCS(813/727)

(Thread Starter)
22" Wheels and performance sacrifice on 3.5L SXT's

Hey guys, I am starting this thread hoping to hear from V6 SXT owners that have 22" rims on their cars. I am the proud owner of a 2010 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5L High Output V6. It is Stone White and I was hoping to get all black 22" Viper Replica's or all black 22" KMC Slide wheels for my car. My biggest concern is the loss in Fuel economy, performance, and braking. I know that big wheels weigh more and will decrease the performance if any car, but I wanted to know what exactly I am getting into before I decide to buy wheels for my Charger. What has been your experience with rims larger than stock? Keep in mind that my Charger is bone stock. With that being said, what kind of performance upgrades, I.e. Exhaust and etc., would I need to offset the wheels bringing down my performance? Also what has been everyone's experience with 20" or 21" wheels? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 AM
Coffee With Scream

Anything over 18 is really going to effect the performance on that car.I would look at 18" for the 3.5L. 22" is all for show and no go.

2010 R/T R&T
SUPER TRACK PAK TorRed

Best ET 13.4260
Best 60FT 1.9782
Best MPH 105.43
No modification needed
#3 Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Vito

Send a message via AIM to Vito
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS(813/727) View Post
Hey guys, I am starting this thread hoping to hear from V6 SXT owners that have 22" rims on their cars. I am the proud owner of a 2010 Dodge Charger SXT 3.5L High Output V6. It is Stone White and I was hoping to get all black 22" Viper Replica's or all black 22" KMC Slide wheels for my car. My biggest concern is the loss in Fuel economy, performance, and braking. I know that big wheels weigh more and will decrease the performance if any car, but I wanted to know what exactly I am getting into before I decide to buy wheels for my Charger. What has been your experience with rims larger than stock? Keep in mind that my Charger is bone stock. With that being said, what kind of performance upgrades, I.e. Exhaust and etc., would I need to offset the wheels bringing down my performance? Also what has been everyone's experience with 20" or 21" wheels? Thanks in advance!
Currently, i own an SRT8, but owned a 3.5L before it. although i have never took the plunge on after market wheels on either car, i thought i would give my .02

1) IMHO 22" wheels look a little funky on our cars, (almost make them look lifted) and if anything makes the wheel gap look virtually bigger, the only way i think a charger can run 22" by looking good is running a lowering kit or coilovers.

2) bigger wheels will decrease everything you just listed, but not signifcantly,i have read thread after thread after thread on here on this subject for the past 3 years, and there really never is a solid answer, because the signifcant loss, well isnt to significant. i dont know 24" or bigger will be a huge difference in a negative way.

3) the 3.5 L is not the fastest car in the world, but for the motor and the weight of the car, not to mention its auto stick, they def have some power in there to play around with, i wont imagine your going to lose this when getting 22". and if your really worried about it, a simple predator plugin tune and some nice catback exhaust should def over some the performance loss.

hope this helps man !!

I really Hate Mustangs, Especially Cobras
True||Street||Cars
1000+ RWHP Twin Turbo SRT-8 In The Making
#4 Old 01-15-2012, 09:32 AM
TCS(813/727)

(Thread Starter)
I appreciate it guys. As far as lowering my car is concerned, I wouldn't do it. Although it would help with aerodynamics I'm not a fan of lowered cars, especially those that almost touch the ground (too ricey for me lol) also, I am ashamed to admit this, I have scrapped the bottom of my front bumper 2 times when parking it so lowering it even a 1/2" is a no go Hopefully I can get more input into this because I have spent time looking for the performance of 22" Fitted Chargers and can't get a definitive answer.
#5 Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Vito

Send a message via AIM to Vito
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCS(813/727) View Post
I appreciate it guys. As far as lowering my car is concerned, I wouldn't do it. Although it would help with aerodynamics I'm not a fan of lowered cars, especially those that almost touch the ground (too ricey for me lol) also, I am ashamed to admit this, I have scrapped the bottom of my front bumper 2 times when parking it so lowering it even a 1/2" is a no go Hopefully I can get more input into this because I have spent time looking for the performance of 22" Fitted Chargers and can't get a definitive answer.
you've scraped...?? wow, i feel like the stock fascia isnt even low.

i have a SRT Fascia with a daytona spoiler, i scrape 2-3 times a day lol ....
#6 Old 01-15-2012, 10:14 AM
ga charger

Hi. I notice you are in Ga. You should have seen plenty of Chargers & 300's on 22's. The 22 inch rims will have only slight change in acceleration and braking. I have 20 inch rims with 245/45/20 tires on all 4 corners. The only difference is that My car looks 100% cooler than it did with stock 17's.
#7 Old 01-15-2012, 10:34 AM
TCS(813/727)

(Thread Starter)
@Vito-Yea bro, unfortunately I have. Both times the front bumper was scraped because I pulled into the parking lot of the local taco bell and pizza hut and the front end pulled up on the raised sidewalks. Also at my workplace the damn entrance is up on a incline and I have pulled in and out a bit too fast and heard that dreadful scraping noise smh.
@Ga Charger-Yea I've seen plenty of them, but for the most part all the Chargers with big rims here in Middle ga are all weak 2.7l SE's. I still want a little power to work with, especially now when it seems like all V6 cars put out 270-310hp. Hell the camry puts out 280-something, accord v6 puts out 270-something and the rest put out 290+ I want my Car to look better than it does, while still having at least the stock 250hp so that I can feel less ashamed that a camry has more hp. But no matter what its still Mopar or No Car for me lol!
#8 Old 01-15-2012, 10:39 AM
kar1zma

ok i just got 22" makevelli forged on my 3.5 v6

my observations

5-10% drop in initial accelleration
but the rest is more or less the same

guess it also depends on what kind of rims ur getting
my rims are quite light for the size
#9 Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 AM
M A R K 8 1 7

I have 07 sxt with 22s. Your gonna lose some acceleration and go though gas quicker. With 22s im at 18mpg. When ever you put your wheels on you are going to see that big gap and over time its going to eat at you. lol

DFWLX MODERN MOPAR
(((07 Charger SXT Stone White))) 22in Velocity VW910*265/35/22*Eibach Pro Kit*FlashTech Halos*Daytona Crosshair* Daytona Grill Inserts*10000K HIDs Lows & Fogs*Tinted Tail Lights*Blacked Out Trunk*Demolded Side Doors & Emblems*Red Painted Caliper's*Flowmaster 40s Dual Exhaust with 4in Tips* Blacked Out Reflector's*Color Matched Interior*Tinted 20% Front & 5% Back*Super White Interior LEDs*Flat Black Side Markers
#10 Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 AM
TCS(813/727)

(Thread Starter)
@Kar1zma-How is the ride quality? Did that change at all? Also, I commute to college every week and work a lot of weekends so I'm adding at least 44miles everyday on the mileage, how does the car handle after the 22"s were put on? I ask because a lot of drivers in middle ga can't drive to save their lives and I am constantly gunning it, switching lanes trying to get to class and work. On top of that the interstate 75 South has a lot of potholes and I have to drive through a construction site on the highway in Macon, ga so I was also wondering if u have accidentally hit any potholes and if so, how did the wheels take it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Tags
22" rims, 22" wheels, 3.5l, 3.5l v6, sxt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List