Grinding noise coming from engine/passenger wheel area? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
bwit092

Grinding noise coming from engine/passenger wheel area?

Hello everyone,

I've been browsing the threads and have yet to see my specific problem.

I just purchased a 2009 sxt 3.5 HO. I was told they replaced the wheel bearings (not sure which ones) and was also provided with new tires. The grind (sounds like metal on metal. When riding with my gf (she was in the passenger seat) she said that the noise came from her front left. My grandfather told me that it sounded more to his right. When i am in park and rev the engine, it sounds great (no grind). However when i am in drive the grind is there. Could this be from poor brakes? They are squealing when applied.

Tks,

Brandon
bwit092 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
alberni_charger_R/T

Try jackin up that side and spin the wheel see if you hear anything
07R/T Lorenzo 20in, 275/40/20, 315/35/20 vreds, R1 slotted rotors, airaid cai, oem SRT hood, BT under hood & catch can, painted firewall cover, color matched tinted tails, 20% window tint, 2.5 flowmaster super 10s reso delete. Gave her to my wife
06SRT8 predator, painted abs & overflow covers, 20% window tint, homemade 4in cai, danko 69 grill, trufiber chally hood, 391 Getrag, tranzformer shift kit, not installed yet Danko SRT front lip & Grip rockers, 20in USW forged Siletto's
alberni_charger_R/T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
bwit092

I took the wheel off and could hear the pads rubbing against the rotor. I changed the front pads and rotors. In the process when i had the rotor and pads back on, i spun the rotor and was able to eliminate the grinding with enough pressure on the studs. after putting the wheel back on and taking it for a drive, the grinding is not nearly as bad, but is definitely noticeable when applying the brakes.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit092 View Post
I took the wheel off and could hear the pads rubbing against the rotor. I changed the front pads and rotors. In the process when i had the rotor and pads back on, i spun the rotor and was able to eliminate the grinding with enough pressure on the studs. after putting the wheel back on and taking it for a drive, the grinding is not nearly as bad, but is definitely noticeable when applying the brakes.
Did you burnish the rotors BEFORE you put them on? One of the things that seems to have been lost from prior generations is the knocking down of the cutting groves that are left from surfacing the rotors. No matter how fine the grooves are, they are still there and act like a phonograph record and needle making the squeeling sound and also grinding.

Taking an 80 grit sandpaper wheel and using a cordless drill, crosshatch the rotors....knocking down the grooves completely to help seat the pads on the rotors so that there is no squeeling for the life of the brakes.

I was taught this by an old guy many years ago and have used this proceedure in all my brake jobs. People always ask how my brakes work as they never make any noise.

Now, the semi-metallic pads that we have will rust overnight and make a grinding sound. It takes a few good stops to get rid of the corrosion that happens even in 8-10 hours.

Here are a few pictures on the burnishing of rotors:

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
370 HEMI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 09:05 AM   #5
bwit092

I'll give that a try Brian, thanks.

It seems to me though that the rotor is slightly angled and is rubbing against the caliper bracket. I was told new hubs were put in. Could the hub be improperly torqued causing the slight angle?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 AM   #6
Jonny
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

"just purchased" it should have a used car warranty, or was it private sale? Less than 36k miles on it?

If you bought it from a dealer, I'd have them fix it under warranty.

Does it do it all the time while driving, or only when you hit the brakes?

Replacing the hubs on a 2009 would raise my suspicions of crash damage.

Mileage on car?

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
bwit092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
"just purchased" it should have a used car warranty, or was it private sale? Less than 36k miles on it?

If you bought it from a dealer, I'd have them fix it under warranty.

Does it do it all the time while driving, or only when you hit the brakes?
It was purchased from a ford dealer with 73,000 miles on it. The policy for them is that "If it has over 50% wear at sale, they replace it. They put new tires on it and new wheel bearings. I work at a parts store so i can get reasonable discounts on the parts.

It did do it while driving on the old pads. It does still do it slightly with new pads but mostly with braking now.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
Keavdog

Is it constant? e.g. you put it in drive and you hear grinding? Occasional? Only turning? Only braking?

Aftermarket exhaust? Jack up the car and inspect the exhaust from the cats to the tailpipe and look for signs of grounding out e.g. fresh scratches.

Anything bumping up against the exhaust can sound like its coming from everywhere.

09 RT. 11.796 @ 113.15
11 IE Challenger 392 #787 (Sold)
13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca #392
15 Challenger Hellcat <- soon....

Keavdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #9
bwit092

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keavdog View Post
Is it constant? e.g. you put it in drive and you hear grinding? Occasional? Only turning? Only braking?

Aftermarket exhaust? Jack up the car and inspect the exhaust from the cats to the tailpipe and look for signs of grounding out e.g. fresh scratches.

Anything bumping up against the exhaust can sound like its coming from everywhere.
It's when the car is in motion. I'm pretty sure its coming from the rotor rubbing the caliper bracket.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Jonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwit092 View Post
It's when the car is in motion. I'm pretty sure its coming from the rotor rubbing the caliper bracket.
Something would have to be terribly bent or misaligned/installed improperly for that.

You aren't referring to the knuckle, are you? (big arrow)

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List