Why is my gas mileage so bad? - Dodge Charger Forums
Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

#1 Old 11-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Fish79

(Thread Starter)
Why is my gas mileage so bad?

Ok I bought a 2008 RT Charger, and while I am fully aware that I did not buy a Prius, it seems like my MPG's are uncharacteristically low based on what I have been seeing other people getting.
Now I purchased the Charger used and the only physically noticeable modifications when I got it was a K&N Cold air intake and a set of Pypes dual exhaust, but nothing I read suggested these alone would greatly rob my gas mileage.
I am running 91 Plus in it and I checked the on-board fuel economy reader against actual calculations and it is accurate. I spent a week driving (mostly city) but as responsibly as possible, never taking the tac over 1,800 rpm's and not getting there quickly either, at the end of the week I was at 10.4 MPG's and I have pinned cruise at 60mph on the highway for 15 miles and was getting 16 MPG's.
I'm just wondering if I am stuck with this, or if anybody can think of something the previous owner may have done to rob my gas mileage, and if so can it be reversed?
Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Jonny
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Mileage?

First thing I'd do is check the plugs and change, if necessary, to the champion coppers.

They're supposed to be changed every 30k miles.

Also, no reason to run 91, unless you have a tune installed.

Is MDS enabled and working?

I am the Stig

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
#3 Old 11-01-2011, 10:36 AM
Stumblin Steve

Only thing I can think of is that the R/T's are supposed to run 89 octane, unless you have your car tuned for a different octane.

Just your friendly neighborhood...Charger
'08 SXT Bright Silver. Dark slate interior. OEM MOPAR pedals/hood struts/CAI/Chin Spoiler. R/T true dual exhaust w/ Magnaflow tips. SRT8 rear diffuser. Predator 93 Tune. Lots of B.T. Stuff!
Comprehensive V6 Performance Thread
Join the Photoshop/Artist Group! Silver Chargers!!! & Virginia Chargers
#4 Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
DUG's Hemi

I have a little bit of the same thing going on. I lock in my cruise control at 60 mph, and reset the MPG monitor, on even to slightly down hill grade. It showed me getting 18 mpg, shouldn't that be 23-25????

Also, my car sounds like it is reving hard while cruising around 77mph, and is around 2500-3000 rpms, are these cruising rpm's on par with others here???

2009 Charger R/T AWD Black on Black

Pred 93 CAI, C&L CAI,

6db Blastin' Bobs Mid-Muffler Delete w/ Flowmaster 40's
#5 Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish79 View Post
Ok I bought a 2008 RT Charger, and while I am fully aware that I did not buy a Prius, it seems like my MPG's are uncharacteristically low based on what I have been seeing other people getting.
Now I purchased the Charger used and the only physically noticeable modifications when I got it was a K&N Cold air intake and a set of Pypes dual exhaust, but nothing I read suggested these alone would greatly rob my gas mileage.
I am running 91 Plus in it and I checked the on-board fuel economy reader against actual calculations and it is accurate. I spent a week driving (mostly city) but as responsibly as possible, never taking the tac over 1,800 rpm's and not getting there quickly either, at the end of the week I was at 10.4 MPG's and I have pinned cruise at 60mph on the highway for 15 miles and was getting 16 MPG's.
I'm just wondering if I am stuck with this, or if anybody can think of something the previous owner may have done to rob my gas mileage, and if so can it be reversed?
Thanks for any help!
Okay a few quick questions to help get some better answers:

Do you have a Predator? If not, you should be running mid-grade gas which is 87-89. Using 91 is high without a tune.

Are there any codes (engine light on)?

How long have you had the car?

How many miles on the vehicle (round number, doesn't have to be exact)?

Do you have service records and/or Carfax or other vehicle history report?

My worst gas mileage is 17mpg and that is when I'm doing really dumb things along with stop/go city driving. 10mpg tells me something is really wrong. Answer those questions and whatever else other people ask and perhaps we can give you an idea of the issue, but as of right now it looks like you need to take your car in to be checked out.

Formerly SilverSleeper - Bright Silver Metallic '06 Charger R/T with Road & Track Package, tinted windows, de-molded, JL Audio 12's, Flowmaster Super 44, PD-itis .

In God we trust...everyone else gets run through NCIC.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 11-01-2011 at 10:52 AM.
#6 Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUG's Hemi View Post
I have a little bit of the same thing going on. I lock in my cruise control at 60 mph, and reset the MPG monitor, on even to slightly down hill grade. It showed me getting 18 mpg, shouldn't that be 23-25????

Also, my car sounds like it is reving hard while cruising around 77mph, and is around 2500-3000 rpms, are these cruising rpm's on par with others here???
No. The best I have gotten was 24mpg and that was cruise set to 75mph for a 1200 mile round trip. I haven't gotten that mpg again since. My average is 17-20 depending on how I am driving. Plus the AWD R/T is a pig even to the already piggy R/T lol.

The rpms are in the right zone. Your FM's are going to exaggerate the sound at cruising speed big time.

I'm assuming these were serious questions and not being silly

Last edited by Dreadnought; 11-01-2011 at 10:50 AM.
#7 Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Jonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
No. The best I have gotten was 24mpg and that was cruise set to 75mph for a 1200 mile round trip. I haven't gotten that mpg again since. My average is 17-20 depending on how I am driving. Plus the AWD R/T is a pig even to the already piggy R/T lol.

The rpms are in the right zone. Your FM's are going to exaggerate the sound at cruising speed big time.

I get (got)30mpg, but that's with 2.65 gears on the 2009+ engine.

It's gone down a bit with the 3.06 gears.

AWD has different rear gears than RWD... 3.42 maybe? That'll kill your MPG. (plus the added friction from the transfer case and drive line.)
#8 Old 11-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Fish79

(Thread Starter)
No Predator so I will drop it down to 89

No Engine lights on

I've only had it a month

58,000 miles on it

I have the Carfax somewhere, nothing stood out as being wrong or shocking outside of a joint needing replaced, but that went bad because the guy put a set of really cheap ventilated brakes on that gave the car a terrible shimmy when you stopped.

I have a friend who works at a Chrysler dealership so maybe I will take it in and get the plugs checked. I have noticed that if i hold the RPM's in park around 1100, every 2-3 seconds it will rev itself up to 1300 and drop right back without me moving the pedal at all.

I'm not going to lie, I am not the most mechanically inclined so I don't know how to check if the prev owner had a tune installed or not, would hooking it up to a computer be able to tell me?
#9 Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM
DUG's Hemi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post

I was being serious lol, but I guess the AWD is what I am not used too, I just bought this car a month ago and every time I let off the gass it immediately starts slowing down like I am braking, (assuming this is AWD mixes w auto trans). I just have to get used to the new car i guess...lol
#10 Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM
Fish79

(Thread Starter)
I looked into the service records, I don't think he ever got the 30k plugs changed and I am now at almost 60 k anyway so I will get them changed asap. Hopefully that helps. You guys are awesome btw, thanks for the help. I'll keep ya posted and post a couple pics as soon as I can give her a good bath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Tags
2008 r/t, gas mileage, modifications, mpg's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List