2011 Charger front license plate install question - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Exterior Discussion/Modifications Discussion of exterior modifications belongs in this section, even if the visual modification slightly affects performance (ie. spoilers, etc)

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:23 PM

2011 Charger front license plate install question

I just got a 2011 Charger and the front bracket, screws and brief instructions were in my trunk. I found the 2 dimples and have aligned the bracket and pushed the bottom side into the openings on the grills but when you put in the 2 screws are they supposed to go through those dimples making a hole in the bumper??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 PM

correct when i removed mine thats what it looked like
Old 09-03-2011, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the info. I was kind of scared about putting the screws in through the plastic...thought I ask first
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2011, 02:16 PM

id show you mine but i can seem to make the link work
Old 09-03-2011, 02:38 PM

My Charger: 2009 SRT
Send a message via ICQ to DjMere Send a message via AIM to DjMere Send a message via Yahoo to DjMere Send a message via Skype™ to DjMere
it was scary for me on my 2006
i took the ugly factory [black] plate holder off & just put the plate on my bumper.
i put mounting tape on the back of the plate so it would not scratch the paint on the bumper. i also bent the plate to fit the contour of the bumper.

but yea, putting new holes in the bumper was a hard thing mentally to do.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:17 PM

We only use one plate in Michigan. If they changed the law I would move. Front plates are uuuugly!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:23 AM

Revival (because I think it's relevant)

To make a long story short, my car didn't come with a front plate, so I needed to put one on. Didn't get the stock bracket with it, either.

I ended up finding a post that suggested looking into brackets from Skene Design. (skenedesi g n. c o m) These brackets mount to a horizontal part of the front bumper and still require holes to be drilled, BUT they won't be visible if you decide to take the brackets off. Anyway, thought I'd give a revival to this thread as it's relevant to the 2011+ models, specifically.

Mounting location options (if you want the plate centered) are:

Very bottom edge of bumper, below the lower grill, but you'll have to deal with the pointed shape of the bumper there.

or, underside of top edge of lower grill (approximately where the stock bracket would cover) which is about 1" deep before you run into the grill itself. The main issue I ran into was getting access with a drill to put in the pilot holes for

Bracket size options are 0.5" or 1.5" - I went with 1.5" just because I wanted to make sure I had clearance, but 0.5" might work.

The only real issue that I ran into was getting a drill into that area to drill the pilot holes. Quick tip: Remove plate and move the slotted brackets all the way up and out of the way to give you more room to work with, and you'll probably have to drill at a bit of an angle, no matter what. After that, you can use a very small screw driver, or just screw them in at an angle, then measure and re-adjust the brackets to the desired location and put the plate back on.

If you're not worried about scraping the bracket by mounting it to the bottom side of the bumper, you could probably bend your plate to the contour of the bumper, then mount the brackets so that they are angled to fit the bent plate, or you could mount it off to the side.

Here are some pics of the finished product:
Front

Front

Side

Maybe sometime I'll find time to get a better "true" side shot, rather than one that's angled from above. But, as you can see, the brackets do stick out a bit, but you can't tell unless you really look for them, and it looks pretty clean from the front. I had thought about painting them black, but ultimately I was just too lazy. I will probably either raise this so that it's just under the pointed part of the bumper, or lower it to cover more of the lower grill. When I mounted it, I just wanted to get it on so that I didn't get a ticket.

Bright White 2008 SXT AWD - Picked up with 78k, traded in with 138k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.