Passenger Airbag light on? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to sickboy98tj
Passenger Airbag light on?

I need some help with another n00b question:

I put the key in my charger this morning, turned it to on but didn't fire up the engine, just needed to open the sun roof to vent the car before getting in and hitting the road. The passenger airbag light was off. I left the key on for a few minutes, then turned it off, pulled the key, and went back into the house to finish getting the rest of my supplies for my trip. I finish putting everything in the trunk, get in, fire up the car, and the passenger air bag light on the dash is now on, to indicate the airbag has been turned off.This was strange but i thought maybe it would reset.

So, I drive to the gas station, top off with 93, and start the car again. The light comes on and stays on again. It stayed on for the entire duration of my 100+ mi trip. no other negative effects, odd sounds, or warning lights.

How in the world did I shut off the Passenger Airbag just by turning on the key?
Is this possibly a warning light for something else?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The Beauty:'06 Daytona, Go ManGo!, #3680/4000.
The Beast:
'98 Jeep TJ- Locked, loaded, and Long armed- WARN, ARB, and Rock Krawler Equipped. Built not bought, Not for sale.
BLEED TEAL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 PM

My Charger: 2013 SRT8 crystal granite Charger
Its ok, it will turn on when someone gets in the passenger side,then the light will go out.

2013 Charger SRT8 HellBoy red interior, Black SRT8 Jeep rep rims, Billet catch can, Mopar CAI (purchased 7/25/14)
2011 Charger R/T plus, HellBoy red interior (purchased 8/2/11) Gone but not forgotten
2013 Dart Rallye, (purchased 12/19/12)
RETIRED...2006 Charger R/T, 22" Maas rims, L.E.D tinted color matched tails,20% tint, K&N CAI ,modern muscle billet catch can, diablo 93 octane CAI tune, Flowmaster 44/4" tips, matte black spoiler,blacked out trunk,matte grill,mopar chin,HEMI tattoos.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to sickboy98tj
So the light will go out when someone sits in the seat?

The odd thing is, I've been driving around solo quite a bit and the light hasn't come on yet.... does this mean something is broken?
Old 07-12-2011, 02:43 PM

I know if someone opens the passenger door to get in..that turns the pass air bag on...let me get back to you...on my way to my car..I notice it on sometimes,but dont pay that much attention to it.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickboy98tj View Post
...went back into the house to finish getting the rest of my supplies for my trip. I finish putting everything in the trunk, get in, fire up the car, and the passenger air bag light on the dash is now on, to indicate the airbag has been turned off.This was strange but i thought maybe it would reset.
Did you have anything in the passenger seat or shoved under it? The passenger seat has a built-in weight sensor that determines if the airbag needs to be deactivated. Putting a gallon of milk in the seat will often turn the light on.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
Did you have anything in the passenger seat or shoved under it? The passenger seat has a built-in weight sensor that determines if the airbag needs to be deactivated. Putting a gallon of milk in the seat will often turn the light on.
Really?...thought the air bag comes on from the passenger side door bieng opened..
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

if you lay something on the passenger seat and has some weight to it itll set the passenger air bag off light .

so if you were to get innto an accident with it on it wont go off

Too many to list....and Many more to come...LoL
Old 07-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

These are next generation multi-stage airbags that are tied to a sensor in the seat to determine if the airbags should be on, off, or set to various deploy forces based on the weight of the passenger. It keeps passengers from being injured by an airbag.

Up to a certain weight, the airbag is automatically turned off. Above that weight, it is set in stages (no indicator light is shown) up to maximum based on the the weight of the passenger and the force of the collision.

If nothing is on the seat, try sitting in the passenger seat and turning on the ignition. When the light goes off, get out and see if it stays off.

I've had the weight of my briefcase on the passenger seat disable the airbag in my '05 Magnum and my wife's '05 Grand Caravan. My SRT doesn't have the passenger airbag disabled light.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.