Any update on when the 8 speed transmission is coming to SRT's? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Charger SRT-8 Discussion This area is for discussion involving the SRT-8 version of the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:03 PM

Any update on when the 8 speed transmission is coming to SRT's?

I am leaning towards the 300C SRT8 as it is much better looking but will not buy either with this sorry tranny.

COMING SOON!
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
707 horsepower
650 pound feet of torque
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaesar View Post
I am leaning towards the 300C SRT8 as it is much better looking but will not buy either with this sorry tranny.
I agree with you. I think the '12 300 SRT8 they've shown in white is looking better than the Chargers I've seen so far.
1969 Roadrunner in Red Gone, but not forgotten! <beep, beep>
Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 AM

Everything I have heard from our Chrysler Rep so far is that the 8 speed may only be available in the V6 300 and Chargers next year..If I catch wind of anything else I will try to update you guys...
APP.&AUDIO:5% TINT/2 KICKER 12'S IN CUSTOM BOX!/ BT SHIFT KNOB & SHIFT PLATE/DDM 6K LOWS&FOGS/ DAYTONA GRILL-DIFFUSER-TRUNK BLACKOUT/ OLD SCHOOL CHARGER SCRIPT/ PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS/ BLACKED OUT CORNERS !!!!

WHAT NEXT? NEW HOOD AND VINYL
Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the update.

Grim -that one is sharp!

There just is not enough upgrade for the 2012 without the 8 speed to make it worth my while. Yeah, the broader torque curve will help but it is partly the principle for me- get it right Chrysler!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:43 PM

This is all I have found:

Quote:
During their press conference yesterday at the 2011 New York International Auto Show, Chrysler CEO Francois Olivier introduced a trio of new trimlines for the Chrysler 300 sedan and included in that group is the new 2012 Chrysler 300 S – the full sized sedan that will introduce consumer America to the 8-speed automatic transmission.

Since Fiat took the reins of the Chrysler Group, there has been the promise of 8-speed automatic transmission coming in the near future and with the introduction of the 2012 Chrysler 300 S, the future is here. This transmission is provided by ZF of Germany and until Chrysler’s Kokomo Indiana production facility is up to speed with producing these 8-speed gearboxes on American soil, Chrysler will be purchasing and shipping these transmissions directly from Germany. Because of this, Chrysler will only install the 8-speed ZF transmission in the V6-powered, rear wheel drive 2012 300 S sedans so if you opt for the 363 horsepower Hemi or Chrysler’s advanced all wheel drive system – you will be getting the same 5-speed gearbox found in the current 300 sedans.
http://www.torquenews.com/106/2012-c...d-transmission
Old 06-14-2011, 03:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to ClubKenny
I just wonder if it will mate up with my 2006 6.1
Old 06-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Automotive News - 8 Speed Tranny is a Go for 2012

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absent Ram, Dodge plans to be a sportier animal

Bradford Wernle
Automotive News -- July 26, 2010 - 12:01 am ET

ENLARGE

The 2012 Dodge Charger is sleeker -- and keeps the cross-hair grille.

Photo credit: BRENDA PRIDDY & CO.

Related Stories
Chrysler's product plan: Tweaks, then tidal wave
With Ram pickups no longer part of its lineup, Dodge is repositioning itself as a sporty brand for all ages.

As the brands diverge, Ram keeps the distinctive ram's head logo, while Dodge will have a new script logo that will be revealed this year on the restyled Charger sedan and the Durango replacement.

Sources say Dodge may eventually lose its cross-hair grille, which will stay with Ram. But spy shots show the grille remains on the restyled Charger and Durango replacement, due late this year.

Even without pickups and commercial vehicles, Dodge still will have the broadest lineup among Chrysler Group's brands. Dodge ranges from a minivan to the Challenger sporty coupe.

Subcompact car: Last November, Joseph Veltri, Chrysler's product planning chief, showed a plan that included a subcompact about the size of a Ford Fiesta. The car is scheduled to arrive in 2013, likely as a 2014 model, and will be imported from a Fiat plant.

Caliber: The Caliber got a freshened interior this year. The car will continue in its current form until mid-2012, when a Fiat-based compact sedan will replace it, likely marketed as a 2013 model.

Avenger: The Avenger sedan, along with its sibling, the Chrysler Sebring, will be reskinned and re-engineered this year for the 2011 model year. Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne promises that every aspect of the Avenger will be improved. The car will get the Pentastar V-6 engine and a Fiat six-speed, dual-clutch transmission.

The exterior sheet metal will be less extensively changed than the skin on the Sebring. The Avenger will be replaced in 2013 by a mid-sized sedan based on Fiat's Compact Wide platform, likely for the 2014 model year.

Challenger: Next year Dodge's sporty coupe will get a minor reskin and interior tweaks, likely for the 2012 model year. The new Pentastar V-6 will replace the current V-6, the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 will be retained and a 6.4-liter V-8 will replace the current 6.1-liter V-8. The eight-speed automatic transmission that Chrysler is licensing from ZF Group will be available. The revised Challenger is scheduled to remain in production until 2014 at least.

Charger: A restyled, re-engineered Charger rear-drive sedan goes into production in November, and sales will begin in February or March. The Charger will get new sheet metal. Spy photos have shown the car, most likely a 2012 model, will be sleeker than the current model but will retain the cross-hair grille, which eventually will go away and become the exclusive province of Ram. From the A-pillar back, the car draws on the styling of the 1969 Charger.

The car will be offered with three engines: the Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6, a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 and a 6.4-liter Hemi V-8. The Charger will get the new eight-speed automatic transmission from ZF Group, both for V-6 and V-8 engines.

Viper: Production ended July 1. In November, Veltri said a replacement was under consideration for 2012 or later.

The company is considering a more fuel-efficient entry model with a 6.4-liter V-8 Hemi rated at over 450 hp.

Nitro: In their November presentation, executives said the Nitro would be freshened in 2011, including the addition of a V-6 Pentastar engine, most likely for the 2012 model year.

The future of the crossover after that is "under consideration," the company has said. It is unclear whether the Nitro will remain in the lineup.

Journey: The crossover has been one of the few recent hits from Chrysler Group. It is based on an extensively modified Mitsubishi GS platform, which also underpins the Sebring and Avenger.

The Journey interior gets a freshening in November for the 2011 model year. The crossover also will get the Pentastar V-6.

Full-sized crossover: In the fourth quarter, Dodge will offer a seven-passenger crossover that shares a unibody platform with the redesigned five-passenger Jeep Grand Cherokee. The platform is stretched to create the redesigned Dodge. The Durango name might be replaced with Magnum.

Grand Caravan: For the 2011 model year, the reskinned Grand Caravan will get an improved interior, some exterior styling tweaks and the Pentastar V-6. The next generation of the minivan is due in 2014.

09 RT. 11.796 @ 113.15
11 IE Challenger 392 #787 (Sold)
13 Boss 302 Laguna Seca #392
15 Challenger Hellcat <- soon....

Old 06-15-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Automotive News - 8 Speed Tranny is a Go for 2012
see date of article in next quote ....

Quote:
Automotive News -- July 26, 2010 - 12:01 am ET
Quote:
Challenger: Next year Dodge's sporty coupe will get a minor reskin and interior tweaks, likely for the 2012 model year. The new Pentastar V-6 will replace the current V-6, the 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 will be retained and a 6.4-liter V-8 will replace the current 6.1-liter V-8. The eight-speed automatic transmission that Chrysler is licensing from ZF Group will be available. The revised Challenger is scheduled to remain in production until 2014 at least.
Quote:
Charger: A restyled, re-engineered Charger rear-drive sedan goes into production in November, and sales will begin in February or March. The Charger will get new sheet metal. Spy photos have shown the car, most likely a 2012 model, will be sleeker than the current model but will retain the cross-hair grille, which eventually will go away and become the exclusive province of Ram. From the A-pillar back, the car draws on the styling of the 1969 Charger.
The car will be offered with three engines: the Pentastar 3.6-liter V-6, a 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 and a 6.4-liter Hemi V-8. The Charger will get the new eight-speed automatic transmission from ZF Group, both for V-6 and V-8 engines.
the 2012 Challenger and Charger are already being ordered - and the 8 speed tranny is not an option. the article is 2 years old - looks like Chrysler missed the mark by a stretch. maybe next year's models will incorporate it?

i personally don't care for the new looks of the Charger, and an 8-speed tranny will not sway me to buy a new one. but, for those for whom the new styling is appealing....and one thing this article does address is the loss of the cross-hair grill. the future does not look bright for the Charger my friends....not bright at all.....
Old 06-15-2011, 03:00 AM

V6's get it in MY2012
V8's get it in MY2013

Grand Cherokee, Durango, and Ram 1500 V6 models get it in 2013 as well. Not sure about the Wrangler, Liberty, and Nitro though.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvman View Post
V6's get it in MY2012
V8's get it in MY2013

Grand Cherokee, Durango, and Ram 1500 V6 models get it in 2013 as well. Not sure about the Wrangler, Liberty, and Nitro though.
Many V8 models will have it in 2013 model year. GC/Durango/Ram 1500 V6 get 6-spd for 2012 models. 2011 is the last year for the Nitro.

Last edited by ResumeSpeed; 07-04-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Updated info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger SRT-8 > Charger SRT-8 Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.