5.7 HEMI tune up - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 AM
wadisr

(Thread Starter)
5.7 HEMI tune up

Has anyone changed plugs on a HEMI yet? if so, is it difficult? I called the dealer and they told me that it should be done every 30,60,and 90k miles.I'm at 39k now ,I don't have problems with my HEMI, just want to get it done. Thanks in advance..

2013 Charger SRT8 HellBoy red interior, Black SRT8 Jeep rep rims, Billet catch can, Mopar CAI (purchased 7/25/14)
2011 Charger R/T plus, HellBoy red interior (purchased 8/2/11) Gone but not forgotten
2013 Dart Rallye, (purchased 12/19/12)
RETIRED...2006 Charger R/T, 22" Maas rims, L.E.D tinted color matched tails,20% tint, K&N CAI ,modern muscle billet catch can, diablo 93 octane CAI tune, Flowmaster 44/4" tips, matte black spoiler,blacked out trunk,matte grill,mopar chin,HEMI tattoos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-09-2011, 10:06 AM
FLEX
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadisr View Post
Has anyone changed plugs on a HEMI yet? if so, is it difficult? I called the dealer and they told me that it should be done every 30,60,and 90k miles.I'm at 39k now ,I don't have problems with my HEMI, just want to get it done. Thanks in advance..
Friend of mine did mine in my R/T when I had it. Took him no time or trouble at all.

But then he's a mechanic and has the right tools and does it for a living. It took him maybe 15-20 mins.

I've heard of guys on here pulling the motor to do the plugs!

sigpic by HAZMAN
2007 R/T R&T - "HEMIGASM" - Gone but not forgotten.

2010 SRT8 - SOLO Performance Exhaust, AIRAID CAI, Diablosport Predator Tune, Billet Technologies wheel center caps, catch can, door sill plates, door lock pins, fuse box cover, hood badge, engine bay dress-up kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
FLEX grinds his own coffee with his teeth and boils the water with his rage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Credible Hulk
I always back up my rage with documented sources and facts.
Do you even lift? www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums
#3 Old 06-09-2011, 10:15 AM
wadisr

(Thread Starter)
Yeah...I was told that I should only need to change the plugs...two plugs per cylinder..just wondering if anyone has done it themselves,and how to do it.
#4 Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
FLEX
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yeah...I was told that I should only need to change the plugs...two plugs per cylinder..just wondering if anyone has done it themselves,and how to do it.
He did my plugs, PCV, differential fluid and transmission fluid. All at 50,000km, which is about 31,000 miles.

Took him about 90 minutes to do all of that work.

I watched, but no way I could tell ya.
#5 Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 AM
wadisr

(Thread Starter)
How much was that? Looks like I should take it to a mechanic...trying to avoid the dealer..want too much $$ !!
#6 Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM
Ddaddy
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Garage
Quote:
How much was that? Looks like I should take it to a mechanic...trying to avoid the dealer..want too much $$ !!
It's easy to do yourself.

Here's everything you need to know...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...9&postcount=52

It was under the "How do I...EVERYTHING!" sticky at the top of this section. I suggest always looking there first when you have questions like this because after 6 years of these cars there has been a lot of knowledge accumulated there.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
#7 Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM
wadisr

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
It's easy to do yourself.

Here's everything you need to know...

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...9&postcount=52

It was under the "How do I...EVERYTHING!" sticky at the top of this section. I suggest always looking there first when you have questions like this because after 6 years of these cars there has been a lot of knowledge accumulated there.
THANKS !!
#8 Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Alfisto
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

The book says it takes 4 hours. Local shops typically charge $85/hr. Most people I've talked to can do it in about 90 real minutes.

I have issues pulling off the the coil packs and breaking a boot in the process. I know me, that's why I wait for the stealership to have a special.

Removing the motor for a spark plug change is so....Cadillac.

2008 Steel Blue Metallic Charger R/T "Baby".

Tinted windows, R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors, Russell s/s brake lines, red HEMI overlays, Predator 91CAI tune, body colored washer nozzles, Mopar 11 shifter, honeycomb grill, red R/T logos, 6000K HIDs lows and fogs,Pioneer AVIC-X930BT, JL Audio PowerWedge 12" subwoofer, AFE Stage II CAI, hood struts,Super 44's with ZOOMERS Cannon tips.

#9 Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 PM
alegav

Send a message via AIM to alegav Send a message via MSN to alegav Send a message via Yahoo to alegav
I did it myself when I hit the mileage mark piece of cake and im not a wrencher I just followed instructions found here. Also if you dont want to replace them in another 30k miles put something besides the garbage OEM copper plugs in there.

2006 Dodge Charger R/T
Road & Track Package
Mods: Stack Performance Bullet CAI - Stack Performance Catch Can - 180* Tstat - Diablo Predator Perf CAI 91 tune - BT Hood Emblem - BT EGR Delete - 6K HID's - Flowmaster Exhaust - SRT Suspension

#10 Old 06-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Antdog24

took me an hour. My buddy did one side and I did the other at the same time. Was the easiest tuneup I've ever done. Now my 2001 Silverado, that was a *****.

06 R/T Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Mods so far: DDM Tuning 6000k HID in the lows, Projectors with CCFL Halos, Brylcreem exhaust mod, Mopar CAI, MYGIG RER Conversion 35% tints, Diabosport Predator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List