Radiator Flush gone bad, HELP! - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:41 AM

Angry Radiator Flush gone bad, HELP!

My routine coolant flush has gone wrong somehow! I'm getting ready to take a roadtrip so was checking all my fluids. Found what looked to be a red muddy mess in the coolant tank so decided to flush the system. I've got the 5.7 with about 75k so figured it's about time anyway. Did a drain/fill/drain/fill multiple time until the radiator ran clean, then added a flushing/cleaning agent from the local parts store topped off with water then ran the motor for the first time. Got up to temp, drained more red fluid/ drained and filled multiple times and finally got her cleaned up. I filled it with PEAK antifreeze that advertises that it is good for ANY make model or year. Started her up when finished and it looked good. Ran to grab a bite to eat and it was running hot but I only let it get to 255, just barely to the red on the needle. Stopped let her cool then headed back to the house, only a couple of miles. Got up to the 250 mark again, parked and it was boiling like crazy. Let her cool down and now she won't even start! I'm getting scared by the posts about valve seats falling out but that might be my problem. Anybody have any ideas? I was supposed to be leaving on vacation Thursday but that may have just gone up in smoke! Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sday2 View Post
My routine coolant flush has gone wrong somehow! I'm getting ready to take a roadtrip so was checking all my fluids. Found what looked to be a red muddy mess in the coolant tank so decided to flush the system. I've got the 5.7 with about 75k so figured it's about time anyway. Did a drain/fill/drain/fill multiple time until the radiator ran clean, then added a flushing/cleaning agent from the local parts store topped off with water then ran the motor for the first time. Got up to temp, drained more red fluid/ drained and filled multiple times and finally got her cleaned up. I filled it with PEAK antifreeze that advertises that it is good for ANY make model or year. Started her up when finished and it looked good. Ran to grab a bite to eat and it was running hot but I only let it get to 255, just barely to the red on the needle. Stopped let her cool then headed back to the house, only a couple of miles. Got up to the 250 mark again, parked and it was boiling like crazy. Let her cool down and now she won't even start! I'm getting scared by the posts about valve seats falling out but that might be my problem. Anybody have any ideas? I was supposed to be leaving on vacation Thursday but that may have just gone up in smoke! Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Chris
Maby your thermostat is stuck closed. Could you feel coolant running on both sides of it?

After it cooled off to cold did you check level in radiator to see if full? Maby there was alot of air still in there.

Also Turn your heat on full to get all the air out of there also.
Top Banana #3820
Magnaflow Cat Back, Charger Rear Bumper Diffuser, Custom Tails, 5% Tint, painted Engine Cover, Lots of Wax

Old 05-23-2011, 07:55 AM

I can check thermostat, but my worry is that it won't start now and I don't want to do any major engine damage if the valve seats have fallen. I don't want to call a Stealership but might be running out of options. Anybody in the North Dallas TX area care to take a look at her for me? This has got me sick!
Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Thumbs down The bad has gotten worse!

Update to Coolant Flush gone bad. Had my baby towed to my friends shop, Solutions Automotive in McKinney TX and my worst nightmare has come true. No compression in 2 cylinders low in 4 others. This must have been the valve guide problem I've just learned about, but I want to puke! In my mind this is an obvious manufactures defect. Any motor, especially with the trademark Hemi should be able to take a little extra temp without melting down on itself! Does anybody know where to find a longblock? Any chance Dodge will at least partially stand behind their product here or am I bent over?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sday2 View Post
Update to Coolant Flush gone bad. Had my baby towed to my friends shop, Solutions Automotive in McKinney TX and my worst nightmare has come true. No compression in 2 cylinders low in 4 others. This must have been the valve guide problem I've just learned about, but I want to puke! In my mind this is an obvious manufactures defect. Any motor, especially with the trademark Hemi should be able to take a little extra temp without melting down on itself! Does anybody know where to find a longblock? Any chance Dodge will at least partially stand behind their product here or am I bent over?
At least one guy on these forums was able to get Chrysler to pay 50% when they had a similar issue.
1969 Roadrunner in Red Gone, but not forgotten! <beep, beep>
Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
...just when I was considering giving up my 180 t-stat for the sake of fuel economy.

Good luck, friend! I hope you can get it fixed.

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:06 PM

that's phuked dude. sorry as hell. don't count on dodge helpin ya out on an 06.

KEEP CALM AND CHIVE ON ....
Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM

Sorry man That suks

keep us up to date
Top Banana #3820
Magnaflow Cat Back, Charger Rear Bumper Diffuser, Custom Tails, 5% Tint, painted Engine Cover, Lots of Wax

Old 05-23-2011, 05:52 PM

Did you check and see if there is any coolant mixed in with the oil? Could be just warped heads.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:33 AM

Any updates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.