Timing Belt Service... Help - Dodge Charger Forums
V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

#1 Old 04-26-2011, 10:04 PM
BancoPopular

(Thread Starter)
Question Timing Belt Service... Help

ok so i got an oil change earlier today and im currently at 117,000 with absolutely no major problems thank god! a few minor like i get 2 error codes for the sirius radio service not being connected ne ways my mechanic shop tells him to recommend me for the timing belt service at $850 are they freakn serious about that? is it possible to DIY if so what steps to take.

also i'v seen a few threads where ppl are actually recommending this at 100k, 102k,105k or 8 yrs well as of today im at 117,000 is there a particular brand timing belt i should look for also should i be replacing anything else along with this.. OR SINCE IM AT 117,000 WITHOUT REPLACING THE TIMING BELT IM SPEEDING ON DEATHS CLOCK?

06 Dodge Charger 3.5L Special Edition {Midnight Blue Pearl Coat}

Mods:
Debadged,Mopar Cai,Blastin Bobs Dual Exhaust,OEM Projector Headlights,6K HID Kit,Smoked Side Markers,Tinted Tails,Tinted Windows,Diablo Predator 89 Canned Tune,71MM Mancini Ported Throttle Body,Interior Blue LED Lighting,Dimpled Drilled Slotted Rotors,18Inch RT Wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Brad SXT

From what I've read $850 isn't bad to have the timing belt replaced if that includes parts and labor. I haven't looked into where you can buy a replacement belt or gaskets but it is possible to do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined.

Just doing a quick browse through the forums it looks hit or miss with the timing belt and water pump. They either fail early or they don't. Regardless, having your timing belt skip a tooth and fry your engine is a bad thing and the recommended replacement is 100k miles.

I'd go ahead and replace it

08 SXT
Predator. Big Bully. Quantum Blue.
15.477 @ 89.73 mph

The Comprehensive List of V6 Performance Parts

#3 Old 04-27-2011, 02:17 PM
BancoPopular

(Thread Starter)
yeah im actually doing research now on the timing belt replacement service kinda got me worried reading these threads and yes its for parts and labor 850 ever since reading on this last night i've been doing about 40 mph cause im hearing everybody saying theirs failed at 60,70 mph smh lol... weird thing is i dont know if will but i got car md had it for a month now and no code or anything pop up for timing belt so either car md is a waist of money or im doing fairly good either way im going to get this done soon as possible.
#4 Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Saltpeter9

Timing belts can pop at any time. On start up, cruising, taking off etc. It's a belt, you certainly don't want it to break, these are interference engines and if you don't fix it now, you will have double or even triple the cost to fix.
#5 Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 PM
KStryker

Send a message via MSN to KStryker Send a message via Yahoo to KStryker
That's a freaking hefty price tag...I may have to start saving up for that. I got about 40k miles till 100k.

TorRed 2007 Charger R/T, Hemi Registry #1060
Appearance: Painted SRT8 Rims/Spoiler; Daytona Grill w/ SRT8 Fascia; CBD CF SRT8 Hood; Painted Calipers; R/T Badge on Fenders; Ridergraphix Decals; Dabears 12000k Lows/Fogs; AAC Halos; Billet Tech Goodies.
Performance: aFe Stage II CAI; Diablo Predator Perf CAI 93; SRT Suspension; Corsa Xtreme; Brembo Upgrade.
#6 Old 04-27-2011, 08:23 PM
BancoPopular

(Thread Starter)
yes it is hefty and i wish my guys told me this before i purchased the mopar cai 312usd and the blastin bobs 300+ i could of been working on getting the replacement now i may be reselling those items if i cant afford that fix.
#7 Old 04-27-2011, 08:35 PM
rsoto80

I thought the 3.5 used a timing chain like the 5.7

13.84@101 mph Gainesville Raceway
#8 Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 PM
BancoPopular

(Thread Starter)
so im going to get this done 2morow morning got it down to 650 at a different shop 650 usd for parts n labor gonna take half a day to complete so hopefully i will have my baby back by noon - 3pm.
#9 Old 05-14-2011, 12:03 PM
LHS

I have done the job a few times on the 3.5L... Never on a charger yet though.

Here is a thread I made on the LH cars forums:
http://www.lhforums.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3827&

2008 Tor Red SXT 3.5L
41,000 Miles and counting
My old car - 2001 LHS
My old, old car - 1995 Concorde
#10 Old 05-14-2011, 08:51 PM
BancoPopular

(Thread Starter)
SOOOOOOOOO.... i had to reschedule this smh the guys was short handed today (say it will take 6-7 hours) so it looks like thursday morning instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List