Ask a cop - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

Off-Topic Anything not Charger-related having legitimate subject matter goes here, as long as it is work-safe. **Please post ALL social & 'just for fun' threads in Charger Chat ONLY!**

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:20 PM

My Charger: '14 Granite Crystal Metallic RT
Post Ask a cop

Ok I'm going to try this here (I've got a similar thread on Dodgetalk that has gone VERY well). If you haven't already figured it out I'm a Trooper. I'm making this thread so you can ask questions that may be lingering in your mind. Maybe you have a question about why the cop who just stopped you did something. Maybe you have a question about the legality of a mod. Whatever it is, I am giving you an opportunity to ask. I don't have the answers to everything you may ask but I'll do my best (this especially applies to laws in other states although I've often referred to another state's law to find an answer for someone, because I know law can be hard to read/interpret). At the very least I can give you the LEO point of view. Some things we do may make no sense until you hear why we do it.

I've only got one rule.
Rule #1 this thread is not to bash cops. If this turns into a cop bashing thread, or someone trying to start an argument I will have the moderators shut it down. I hope that doesn't happen, because we've currently got 38 pages (well over 700 posts) on the Dodgetalk version of this thread.

So with that one rule in mind, let the questions begin.

EDIT 3/18/11:
Link to website containing all 50 states' laws State Laws
Link to website containing DOT laws (Federal Regulations) DOT laws

Shots: 2014 Granite Crystal Metallic RT
Mods: Rear window louvers / Rear spoiler / Black grille / chin spoiler / LED fog lights / Window tint 50/20 / Royal Blue calipers / Tinted tails
.........................buzzed driving, IS drunk driving

Last edited by Shots; 03-18-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Added links to access laws
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Shots For This Useful Post:
USAFA-09 (08-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Do cops have certain amount of tickets they have to give out every month or every week?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
2008 SXT Brilliant Black - OEM SRT8 hood, Flowmasters 44s mufflers with a Magnflow X pipe on an RT exhaust, AFE II CAI, astra hammond aluminum louvers, SRT Honeycomb grill with chrome delete and colour matched, De-badged, 20% all around tint, HID HEADLIGHTS projecors HID Fogs, SRT8 Diffuser, Daytona colour matched spoiler, 91 Octane tune, tinted and colour matched tail lights. Red Anodized Billet tech catch can and dip stick. HID back up lights. Daytona chin spoiler. FlashTech LED headlights and taillights halo's.

"The strongest fire makes the hardest steel"
Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Glad to see you doing this.

I don't have any specific questions since I have several friends who are LEOs and I have gotten an education over the years as to why they do what they do in a bunch of different circumstances.

I will say one thing however. I have a great deal of appreciation for cops. I look at them as the lifeline that keeps me and my family safe. They are my back up when things go bad and the front line to help make sure things don't go bad. They are like family in my eyes and try to look out for them as much as they look out for me in whatever way I can.

Cops are the law enforcers, not the law makers...and I try very hard to never forget that. They have taken an oath to Protect and Serve. Those are not just words, but a deep commitment for most of them. I have a great deal of respect for that.

2006 Inferno Red SRT-8
Option groups I, II, & III + Sunroof
Built Thursday February 23, 2006
Triple A Performance (AirFunnel, AirHog, Aces IV)
QuantumBlue Custom Blended Oil (Yeah, it's that good)

I will drive her until one of us dies! 1/4 mile: 13.388 secs@105.75 mph
Old 03-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

The other mods and I will keep an eye on this thread. It is a great idea but as the OP said, no LEO bashing. I'll delete those posts myself.

Ok so Krispy Kreme or Dunkin Donuts? Lol

Now that that's out of the way on to some better questions.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Which do you prefer... or ???

Couldn't resist!
Old 03-17-2011, 07:54 PM

Would you pull over this car for the window tint being too dark?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Too bad you were two minutes late to that party Mark and or Alison. lol
Old 03-17-2011, 08:11 PM

ROFL you guys crack me up. FWIW, I prefer Dunkin. Krispy Kreme taste stale to me.

And yes, if you can tell, I do have a sense of humor.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
Too bad you were two minutes late to that party Mark and or Alison. lol
(Alison lol )WTH lol You only had the first part when we posted. You saw ours and edited yours didn't you? lol

Ours looks prettier! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shots View Post
ROFL you guys crack me up. FWIW, I prefer Dunkin. Krispy Kreme taste stale to me.

And yes, if you can tell, I do have a sense of humor.
Yea, we prefer DD's too. KK do taste stale and have a bad effect on Mark's tummy lol
Old 03-17-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maans88 View Post
Do cops have certain amount of tickets they have to give out every month or every week?
It depends on the agency, but most have gotten away from that. By most I mean probably over 90% of them. FWIW, I don't know of any in Ohio that have a "quota", but then I haven't talked to a guy from ever department in the state so I won't say for sure that there aren't any.
I've actually been accused of writing tickets at the end of the month, "just because it's the end of the month" by at least one person every month. It's a VERY common myth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddy View Post
Glad to see you doing this.
.........I will say one thing however. I have a great deal of appreciation for cops. I look at them as the lifeline that keeps me and my family safe. They are my back up when things go bad and the front line to help make sure things don't go bad. They are like family in my eyes and try to look out for them as much as they look out for me in whatever way I can.

Cops are the law enforcers, not the law makers...and I try very hard to never forget that. They have taken an oath to Protect and Serve. Those are not just words, but a deep commitment for most of them. I have a great deal of respect for that.
Thank you for your support. I'm glad to see someone post what you just did there (the part I made bold). A lot of people forget that when they get a ticket for something they think is "stupid", or "pointless". Although I try not to write the "stupid/pointless" stuff unless it's a safety issue. I actually give a lot of warnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
The other mods and I will keep an eye on this thread. It is a great idea but as the OP said, no LEO bashing. I'll delete those posts myself.......
Thanks Gladiator, I appreciate that. I'd like to keep this a place where people can get answers or some sort of insight on procedures they don't understand.
I'm not overly worried if someone complains about a stop they had (the cop was unprofessional, or you don't understand why you got a ticket for something) as long as we can keep it civil. If you're complaining I assume you're looking for a possible explanation of why the LEO did something, and I'll try to give you a look from their eyes. Or sometimes you're right, and they were a jerk, and I'll tell you that too.

PS if anyone is wondering.... McDonalds has the best coffee, and it's cheap at $.99 for a small with cream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Off-Topic Area > Off-Topic

Tags
ask a cop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.