shocks/struts daytona r/t - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM

shocks/struts daytona r/t

I have been getting prices on struts and shocks for my daytona r/t.
I have the performace package which includes the leveling shocks on the back @ almost $400 each.
can anyone tell me what happens if I used a different style of shock,does my car have certain snsors that wont work or will i have different codes popping up on my dash.
Just want to know what the effects would be by not putting the same oem product back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2011, 04:07 PM

Are you dropping it or just replacing worn parts? If you drop, just go with springs. I was talking to a guy with a dropped R&T and he said all hid did was change the springs out. He said 1.25in lower was the lowest he could ride without having clearance issues. If you need OEM parts look in the for sale section.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM

I think I'll be in the same boat soon. Any alternatives to paying dealership gouge-prices?
1978 Pontiac Trans Am
1978 Pontiac Trans Am 4-speed SE
2006 Daytona R/T Tor-Red (59 of 200 - Canadian)
Old 03-11-2011, 06:41 PM

I am not dropping just replacing but am being told that i have to stick to the leveling shocks that are on the car is this the case?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
http://www.moparsupercenter.com/mopa...5p5155435.html

Reportedly also fits "load leveling" cars (From a Dodge dealer eBay seller):

Here it is! you have read about this factory SRT8 suspension kit on all the forums but your local Dodge dealer says it does not exist or can't get you one for a month or more....

This is a 'new in box' factory, complete Dodge / Mopar Performance suspension kit for your SE or R/T Challeger and this is essentially a complete factory Dodge/Bilstein SRT8 spec suspension kit for your non-SRT Challenger.

Lowers the stance of your non-SRT car by about 1" and also fits 'load leveling' rear suspension cars with no extra items to buy.

this kit includes: factory Dodge SRT8 Bilstein shocks & struts and SRT8 springs & isolators so you get the improved ride/look of the SRT8 without the big money or the harsh ride associated with the Mopar 'Stage 2' coilover kit.

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 PM

I just replaced the factory shocks/struts sway bars and springs on my 2007 Daytona R/T. I had the Nivomat rear shocks. I used Hotchkis TVS 1 which included new sway bars and front and rear springs. I purchased Bilstein shocks/struts.

Very pleased with the results.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:18 AM

Thanks for all the help. Now I just need to research on how to replace them and how long of a process it should be.
Never done this but am somewhat mechanically inclined.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstro View Post
Thanks for all the help. Now I just need to research on how to replace them and how long of a process it should be.
Never done this but am somewhat mechanically inclined.
It's a lot of work, I have the manual... there is more disassembly than I would have imagined. I haven't done it yet, just read the manual. With the proper tools, mechanical aptitude and a manual, it shouldn't be too ridiculous.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:09 PM

There aren't any sensors for the ride height. The Nivomat shock controls everything internally to maintain the rear height. By changing only the rear springs to shorter ones, the car will be lower but the shock will constantly be trying to re-adjust the height and will be fighting internally to achieve it. For everything to work in harmony, the shocks and springs should be changed as a tuned set.

Now for the install question, check out this thread. It has some good info but the real meat is a link in post #3. It has two videos done by a good mechanic and it shows you everything you need to know to swap out the front and rear struts, shocks and springs. I thought it was great info. I haven't mustered up the courage to tackle the rear stuff yet but I swapped my struts basically the same way he showed.

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=139910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.