Step by step How to Change Batteries on Keys - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:45 PM

Step by step How to Change Batteries on Keys

I noticed that there is nothing on this forum on how to change the batterys on a key fob, although it is simple once you know, it is tricky if you dont.

Step One:
You start by pressing the slider and removing the hidden key.

Step Two:
You can use a screw driver or your nail but lift up from the tab in the green circle and it should pry open, on some you might have to pull harder but dont worry you wont break anything. DO NOT USE THE TAB IN THE RED CIRCLE that tab is where the key goes and has a bottom you could break plus you wont get any where pulling from there.

Step Three:
Once the cover starts coming off just pull off and your key should look like this.

Step Four:
The rubber buttons just slip right off to expose the battery.

Step Five:
The battery you are going to need to get is CR 2032 they are $5 at walmart. When your putting the battery back be sure to slide it in like it shows in the picture to avoid damaging the contacts.

Step Six:
Just put the rubber buttons back on and snap the cover back on and you are good to go.

And there you have it a new battery in your key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 AM

Very good write up, but I have a similar key, but mine doesnt have the cutout in the green circle in picture 2 like your does, it has a back door. I tried your method months ago, and with my style key, i broke it lol. My style was glued together, and aparently you have to use the back door to change the battery, but it seemed pretty difficult for me to do it that way.
Murdered Out Exterior
Danko Front Lip
ETC.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:29 AM

Same as the user above. Couldn't get it out the back door so I googled it and came upon this thread. I now have a broken key. F'in Dodge. Make a key that is able to change the battery a lil easier.

If you have a 2008 or newer key....DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD !!!!!!!
LED's (interrior/trunk/license plate) - Danko '69 Style grill w/ honeycomb inserts - Edelbrock 12" tips - Flowmaster Super 10's w/ reso delete - rear strut brace
Old 03-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

nice thank you
2008 SXT Brilliant Black - OEM SRT8 hood, Flowmasters 44s mufflers with a Magnflow X pipe on an RT exhaust, AFE II CAI, astra hammond aluminum louvers, SRT Honeycomb grill with chrome delete and colour matched, De-badged, 20% all around tint, HID HEADLIGHTS projecors HID Fogs, SRT8 Diffuser, Daytona colour matched spoiler, 91 Octane tune, tinted and colour matched tail lights. Red Anodized Billet tech catch can and dip stick. HID back up lights. Daytona chin spoiler. FlashTech LED headlights and taillights halo's.

"The strongest fire makes the hardest steel"
Old 09-27-2012, 10:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to doggz
I have the back door style key for my 08, and I just used a special pair of needlenose pliers where the tips are bent 45 degrees to pull out the battery. Worked like a charm.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Super Moderator

My Charger: 2014 Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGER-08(RT) View Post
Same as the user above. Couldn't get it out the back door so I googled it and came upon this thread. I now have a broken key. F'in Dodge. Make a key that is able to change the battery a lil easier.

If you have a 2008 or newer key....DO NOT TRY THIS METHOD !!!!!!!
Actually, the newer keys do not have back doors. My 2011 is exactly as described in this thread.

In other words, don't determine by year, just look at your fob. If there is no door, use this method.

"There’s nothing in the rules of building a fuel efficient engine that says it has to suck.”
The Following User Says Thank You to a14umbra For This Useful Post:
GTO_04 (08-07-2014)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a14umbra View Post
Actually, the newer keys do not have back doors. My 2011 is exactly as described in this thread.

In other words, don't determine by year, just look at your fob. If there is no door, use this method.
You are correct sir. On my spare fob I was able to pry the battery out. Still a PITA
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM

Wow, I'm really impressed, a whole thread on something that's covered in four paragraphs in the owners manual.

Probably would be good to add " for dummies." on the end of the title.

Pictures are handy though...
Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM

[QUOTE=jaak;2357791]Wow, I'm really impressed, a whole thread on something that's covered in four paragraphs in the owners manual.QUOTE]
Thats also what I was thinking.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

My Charger: 2014 Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaak View Post
Wow, I'm really impressed, a whole thread on something that's covered in four paragraphs in the owners manual.

Probably would be good to add " for dummies." on the end of the title.

Pictures are handy though...
You new here?

Seriously, i really appreciate the thread. It's always comforting to get validation that actually prying the thing apart won't break anything.

Sent from a mobile device. Please forgive typos and brevity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.