Squeeking steering column when cold - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:24 AM

Squeeking steering column when cold

When I turn the steering wheel there is a squeeking noise in the column.
I gets wrose the colder it is.
I had it last winter then the summer came with warm weather and the noise went away.
Now that the weather is getting colder the noise is starting to come back when it is cold in the cabin.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2010, 09:41 AM

That has happened to me as well.
Superbee #834, Mods, HHP Stage 2 Heads, Cam, and Intake Package... 1/4 PB, 11.45 @ 118......goal achieved!!
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM

You need some di-electric grease and get to the steering column under the dash where you will find a white cup. Clean it and re-grease it with the di-electric.

DIAGNOSIS:
If the customer complains of a squeak/rubbing sound, verify that it is coming from the
lower dash seal. if so:
1. Remove the 2 push pins from the lower hush panel below the steering column
2. Remove hush panel to gain access to lower steering column seal
3. Pull the steering column seal down and inspect the white cup the seal rides on.
4. Does the white cup have black markings on white cup in the area shown in (Fig. 1)
below?

Hopefully that helps

06 Charger R/T (Silver Steel)
Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

samthing is happening to me too, it almost sounds like the wiper control nob is hitting something else, correct me if im wrong
Old 11-20-2010, 10:13 PM

Try the TSB info that Mik3y posted above first. This cures the squeak if it is coming from the cabin side of the dash seal. My noise was coming from the same seal but on the engine side of the dash seal. It's easy to see and get to. Have someone move the steering wheel back and forth while you listen for the squeak under the hood.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 PM

My steering column has been making noises in the cold as well. A couple weeks ago I had it serviced at the dealership and they lubed the lower bushing on the steering column. That seemed to help for a while, but the noise has come back. Not only that, the steering column makes a "creeking" sound if I move it from side to side. The creeking sound makes me think that something is loose inside the steering column. Anyone else experienced this?
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 AM

No squeak, but an occasional rubbing feel when cold. Of course, where I'm at, it's never that cold so it's no biggie. The wheel has some back and forth free play, though (just a touch).
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 AM

Here's my right up, http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...=134337&page=2
2toned Flat Black Vinyl,CarbonbyDesign,Billet Tech Designer,Razor Edge,SpeedLogix,KW v2,Predator 91 tune,22" 3 pc Covet Forged Wheels ,Nitto 420s,BWoody Sway ends,Hotchkis sways,Magnaflow highflow/c-back,DMH electric cutouts,22elite,BND ALL Quantum Blue/ACESIV,Killerglass,GSM intake,Danko v2 spoiler/Chin spoiler,Grip Rockers,Neffywrap
Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSChargerRT View Post
That is a very thorough write up that you did on the steering column maintenance! I will have to reference your documentation if I should need to service the steering after the warranty is up. That kind of information is exactly what makes these forums so useful.

I had the dealer look at the steering column again today. This time they lubed the lower bushing with a type of grease that is supposedly meant for use in cold weather (whatever that is). Anyway, the squeak has stopped. Unfortunately, though, they didn't understand my request for the "creaking" steering wheel, so that noise was not addressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.