code 1004? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 PM

code 1004?

Hi guys I was driving home today and my check engine light came on, anyway long story short I do the code check and 1004 came up, I saw in some other posts that some guys had to have some work done to their short pcm valve, and others said they had to have work done on their intake manifold. My question is how much am I looking at for the repairs on these issues? Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2010, 08:28 PM

What year car do you have and what engine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
What year car do you have and what engine?
2007 sxt 3.5l
Old 11-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
I found this from another forum... maybe pulling the SRV and cleaning it would help. I would start there (if mechanically inclined) and also check for shorts/grounds.

The SRV is basically on/part of the upper intake manifold/runners. It's either #1 or #2... I don't remember which. One is the MTV (manifold tuning valve) the other is the SRV (short runner valve)

P1004-SHORT RUNNER VALVE CONTROL PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation
The engine performance and power output is enhanced through the use of the “short runner valve” (SRV) system. The SRV system allows the intake charge air to bypass the long intake manifold runners between the intake manifold plenum and the intake manifold interface to the cylinder heads by providing a shorter runner directly between the plenum and the cylinder head interface The SRV position is controlled by a pneumatic/spring actuator and electronic solenoid valve. When the solenoid is not energized (the “rest” position), the SRV is held in the closed position. When the solenoid is energized the SRV is moved and held in its opened position. There is a set of enable conditions including a minimum engine coolant and ambient temperature, SRV enable, and Powertrain Coordinator load enable condition. If any of these conditions are not met, then the SRV valve is de-energized (closed).

• When Monitored: With the engine run time above a calibrated value, battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts, ECT within a specific range, and the Short Runner Valve Assembly (SRV) control active.
  • Set Condition: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the circuit feedback to a calibrated closed range, between 75% & 85% Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) duty cycle, when the circuit is de-energized or to a calibrated open range, between 35% & 55% PWM duty cycle, when the circuit is energized. If the value is determined to be out of the calibrated range in either the de-energized, greater than 85% duty cycle or less than 75% duty cycle, or energized, greater than 55% duty cycle or less than 35% duty cycle, state for more than a calibrated amount of time, this DTC will set.

Possible Causes

(F344) ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

(K237) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

(K237) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

(K238) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

(K238) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) ASSEMBLY

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny View Post
I found this from another forum... maybe pulling the SRV and cleaning it would help. I would start there (if mechanically inclined) and also check for shorts/grounds.

The SRV is basically on/part of the upper intake manifold/runners. It's either #1 or #2... I don't remember which. One is the MTV (manifold tuning valve) the other is the SRV (short runner valve)

P1004-SHORT RUNNER VALVE CONTROL PERFORMANCE

Theory of Operation
The engine performance and power output is enhanced through the use of the “short runner valve” (SRV) system. The SRV system allows the intake charge air to bypass the long intake manifold runners between the intake manifold plenum and the intake manifold interface to the cylinder heads by providing a shorter runner directly between the plenum and the cylinder head interface The SRV position is controlled by a pneumatic/spring actuator and electronic solenoid valve. When the solenoid is not energized (the “rest” position), the SRV is held in the closed position. When the solenoid is energized the SRV is moved and held in its opened position. There is a set of enable conditions including a minimum engine coolant and ambient temperature, SRV enable, and Powertrain Coordinator load enable condition. If any of these conditions are not met, then the SRV valve is de-energized (closed).

• When Monitored: With the engine run time above a calibrated value, battery voltage greater than 10.4 volts, ECT within a specific range, and the Short Runner Valve Assembly (SRV) control active.
  • Set Condition: The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) compares the circuit feedback to a calibrated closed range, between 75% & 85% Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) duty cycle, when the circuit is de-energized or to a calibrated open range, between 35% & 55% PWM duty cycle, when the circuit is energized. If the value is determined to be out of the calibrated range in either the de-energized, greater than 85% duty cycle or less than 75% duty cycle, or energized, greater than 55% duty cycle or less than 35% duty cycle, state for more than a calibrated amount of time, this DTC will set.

Possible Causes

(F344) ASD RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

(K237) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

(K237) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE

(K238) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND

(K238) SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN OR HIGH RESISTANCE SHORT RUNNER VALVE (SRV) ASSEMBLY
Thanks for the diagrahm! I went outside and took a look at both of these valves. I am going to take it to the dealership on Monday and have them take a look at it. If they say its either of these valves, I am just going to have them order the part and install it myself. It's only 4 bolts and a circuit.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:37 AM

#2 is the short runner valve.Good write up Jonny.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by durty_red23 View Post
I am going to take it to the dealership on Monday and have them take a look at it.
Take this TSB with you since it pertains directly to your 1004 code and your engine. Good luck. Are you still under warranty?

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_3...B_1800307a.pdf
Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyiii View Post
Take this TSB with you since it pertains directly to your 1004 code and your engine. Good luck. Are you still under warranty?

http://www.wkjeeps.com/misc/LX/TSB_3...B_1800307a.pdf
No I am way past warranty! 61k, which isn't that bad. Thanks for all the info man! This helps out a lot!
Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM

I have a 2007 SE 3.5L H.O. and I was also getting 1004 on the dash and P1004 using an OBDII Reader. Took it in, and providing the TSB above they reset the check engine light and updated the PCM. A few weeks later (seemed to re-appear on really cold days like -20 or more) the check engine light would reappear with same error code 1004. Referring back to the same TSB they replaced the Intake Manifold. Has been running fine ever since.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 PM

Recently ran into the P1004 issue. Resolution took all of about 5 minutes. Instead of having the intake manifold replaced as I read so many others doing, I replaced the Short Runner Valve Actuator - problem solved. Some dealers will try to charge as much as $1,500 - the part costs $175 from dealer and you can do it youself in 5 minures.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.