Flowmasters or Straight Pipe? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 AM

Flowmasters or Straight Pipe?

Need help deciding between the two? I'm leaving resos in to minimize drone. Love the sound of the Super 40 Series. Leaning towards straight pipes for a cheap fix. Not sure though because haven't heard a sound clip of straight pipes yet. I beleive in doing things right the first time. Has anybody been able both listen and compare Straight Pipes and Super 40's? Is the volume the same at idle, cruising, and WOT? Exterior/Interior sound? I'd imagine they both sound the same. I may be wrong. I like a deep throaty tone. I know I'd be happy with the Flowmasters but would like opinions on low cost straight pipes before I blow money on a pair of mufflers.

"06" Top Bananna Daytona #3720
-Flowmaster Super 40's/No Resos
-AFE Stage II
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2006, 02:27 AM

Re: Flowmasters or Straight Pipe?

The muffler shop could do straight pipes and then take it for a test drive to see. It doesn't take much and then they could do the mufflers. You may hate the straight pipes. Hard to say. There could be a resonance at a certain rpm or acceleration rate that drives you nuts.

Silver SRT-8 413whp/432wtq 12.71 @ 111mph SOLD!
“The Andy Rooney of Cars”
60 – 130mph Replaces the Quarter Mile, Lower Those Lifted Trucks!, The End of the Horsepower Race
all at
Examiner.com
Old 05-06-2006, 03:29 AM

RTJunkie has the straight pipe's and he seems to like it very well . The flowmasters maneval69 had those and still has links to sound clips in his signature. P.M. those guys for their opinions. They will be glad to help. Or
click the links below to hear and read about the two.

Flowmasters http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/member.php?u=393
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...junkie+exhaust
Lose Screw....

Last edited by slickrick; 05-06-2006 at 03:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:55 AM

I've had the straight pipes since last November when I bought the car. I haven't heard the 40's but I can't tell you how many comments I've gotten about how good it sounds. If I understand the drone thing that everyone talks about I'd say that mine doesn't. You can hear the exhaust in the cabin at cruise but to me it's the way a Hemi is supposed to sound. At WOT at the shift points, it sounds a bit raspy to me. I got my Mopar LongTubes and Cats yesterday so I think the raspiness will go away with them installed and I'm still checking out the various cat backs. I have a long driveway in the woods and my wife says it sounds like something 'evil' is coming through the forest when I get home. Hey, evil is good in a Hemi right? Sorry to ramble but I love mine with just the straight pipes and reso's.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to ronaldrwl

I did the pipes and like it
Old 05-07-2006, 01:29 PM

sound is to your own ear as to what sounds good, all i can say is a friend at work had borlas installed, when he heard my exhaust with the resonators gone he said he had exhausy envy
06 daytona r/t #3291 go mango
daily driver
100 miles a day
resonators gone
drop in k/n filter
Old 05-07-2006, 01:37 PM

Hey I had my straight pipes put in on Friday and I love em.
Cheapest mod yet
Old 05-08-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiesek
Hey I had my straight pipes put in on Friday and I love em.
Cheapest mod yet
Sorry for being such a green horn with this question - but when you guys are talking about "straight pipe's", you are stating just elilminating the mufflers and resonators all together, correct?

Also, wiesek - how much is cheap (not that I'm a cheap skate...just got the car Sat. and already ready wanting something else!)
Old 05-08-2006, 08:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to tridom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilguido1
Sorry for being such a green horn with this question - but when you guys are talking about "straight pipe's", you are stating just elilminating the mufflers and resonators all together, correct?

Also, wiesek - how much is cheap (not that I'm a cheap skate...just got the car Sat. and already ready wanting something else!)
No- I had my muffler replaced and kept the resonators. Sounds great!

Keeping the resonators keeps it from being too loud. My wife wanted to hear the growl, but not have it unbearable.

Should be able to get it done under 100 doallars. Mine was 86.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridom
No- I had my muffler replaced and kept the resonators. Sounds great!

Keeping the resonators keeps it from being too loud. My wife wanted to hear the growl, but not have it unbearable.

Should be able to get it done under 100 doallars. Mine was 86.
That's what I thought about doing since since my wife will be driving this car daily. I was thinking I should leave the resonators on, replace both mufflers w/ the FM 40 series as that's what's on Big Blue (2k Durango w/5.9). Just love the way they sound!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.