I have a DTC P0481 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-19-2010, 07:15 PM

I have a DTC P0481

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T my car overheated the coolant was boiling only a small amount of steam coming from the left front, let the car cool down and was able to get it home. We replaced the coolant temperature sensor and both radiator fans were cracked. We replaced the fans with Derale racing fans and they are pulling 1740 CFMS. I now have a DTC P0481 for fan 2 relay open circuit what should my next step be should we replace the fan relay? If so where are they located?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2006 SRT8
Send a message via AIM to InvictuSRT8
Welcome to the forums!

Where/how much were the new fans if you don't mind me asking? I had radiator issues a while back as well and long story short there was some fishy business about them having to replace my fans because of an apparent TSB.

Sorry I can't help you, however I'm sure someone can provide detailed info on your question
Old 07-19-2010, 08:02 PM

I bought 2 Derale fans from Summit Racing and both cost 171.00 no shipping. The delivery was quick I had the fans within 2 days of order when I couldn't get any fans locally they are all on backorder. According to what I am researching online dodge seems to have a problem with radiator fans I was fortunate in that it took 107,000 miles for it to happen.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2006 SRT8
Send a message via AIM to InvictuSRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady6605 View Post
I bought 2 Derale fans from Summit Racing and both cost 171.00 no shipping. The delivery was quick I had the fans within 2 days of order when I couldn't get any fans locally they are all on backorder. According to what I am researching online dodge seems to have a problem with radiator fans I was fortunate in that it took 107,000 miles for it to happen.
yeah my issue was at 30k so I luckily was under warranty (dealership only told me it was a split radiator). What was fishy was one rep leaving a message about him ordering me new fans and to make another appointment to get them installed, but when I called back that guy had been "let go" and they "saw no TSB or orders for new fans"
Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 AM

While that sounds fishy I have worked in a dealership as a service writer for the past 20 years and I know that there are some dishonest people out there. It does happen. I know for a fact that there are no TSB's on the charger for the fan. I have been out of work for a little while but up to that point there were not any as well when I contacted a dealer they told me that there was no known problems with the fans and everywhere you look on the forum people have had cracked fans so I guess it is a problem.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady6605 View Post
While that sounds fishy I have worked in a dealership as a service writer for the past 20 years and I know that there are some dishonest people out there. It does happen. I know for a fact that there are no TSB's on the charger for the fan. I have been out of work for a little while but up to that point there were not any as well when I contacted a dealer they told me that there was no known problems with the fans and everywhere you look on the forum people have had cracked fans so I guess it is a problem.
Your Fan relay should be in the front power distribution center under the hood,cavity 22.On your code,i would double check the wiring,here is more on your code:PO481
Possible Causes:

HFAN relay power circuit is open from the relay to fused power
HFAN relay control circuit is open or shorted to chassis ground
Fan relay(s) failed
PCM has failed.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:08 PM

Thank you for the info Rich. It wouldn't be the first time I had a problem with the wiring. That was the area I thought the relay was in. Thank you again. I will post again when my vehicle is finally fixed and not overheating anymore.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:28 PM

Keep an eye on your engine, did it overheat to the point that you saw your temp gauge shot all the way up and stayed there for a while? Not to scare you, but at least a handful of R/T's that have over heated have dropped a valve and lost at least one piston. Some guys just get it fixed for a few thousand, others get the engine replaced.

Not saying its gonna happen, just letting you know it has happened and from what I've seen the general consensus is that the engines over heating was directly related to the valve failing. So keep an eye on that.

Full BND Fluids, Quantum Blue Oil, Gear Lube, Trans Fluid, ACES IV, Power Steering, Coolant.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:07 PM

I had my engine overheat due to a faulty hose (it came off of the upper radiator) and this caused my engine temp to soar and the needle pegged this all took about 2 minutes, I limped to a gas station shut it down, but it was too late the damage was already done, the valve were shot the piston shot up and slammed into the spark plug. It was new engine time, I had 114K on it when this happened. I got lucky and found an engine from a forum member over at the lx place.

GL with yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.