Steering angle sensor internal C2205 & C121A - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:46 PM

Steering angle sensor internal C2205 & C121A

Hi,

My ESP/BAS light is always lit since a few weeks. The dealer found trouble code C2205 and C121A, indicating an error with the steering angle sensor. Reset procedure does nothing and the code comes back after clearing it. They want to replace the sensor. My question is; can I check anything else that might cause this trouble code rather than the actual sensor, like a fuse or something? Any ideas? Just to rule out things before ordering parts etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2006 RT w/ R&T
Checking both of those codes in the service manual it sure sounds like the sensor is bad, especially if performing the reset procedure doesn't work.

How do I.... EVERYTHING!
Old 07-16-2010, 05:13 AM

Sensor is now replaced and problem gone.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 AM

I have a 2008 Chrysler 300 and the scanner shows Code " C121A Steering wheel sensor is not initializing" So I went and bought one (Part # 5135969AA) and replaced it , the light turned off , I was happy for 5-10 min, then it came back on again ,,, Hate it.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:58 PM

My Charger: 2011 Charger R/T Plus AWD
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300x300 View Post
I have a 2008 Chrysler 300 and the scanner shows Code " C121A Steering wheel sensor is not initializing" So I went and bought one (Part # 5135969AA) and replaced it , the light turned off , I was happy for 5-10 min, then it came back on again ,,, Hate it.
Light comes back on when making moderate left turn? If so read this:

There is a STAR case relating to steering shaft protrusion in relation to the ESP light coming on from SAS calibration. It involves removing the steering wheel & SCM (plastic collar containing clockspring, cruise switch, SCCM, Multifunction Switch and SAS)and measuring the shaft protrusion. But... you say it comes on when making left turns. I had an 08 with this exact same problem. Found the STAR case and saved some time. I didn't measure the column, but skipped ahead and just tried the repair procedure for if the column was ok. It worked. The procedure mistakenly instructs to use a T25 Torx screwdriver. You have to use a T30 Torx screwdriver, not a replaceable bit type. Here's the procedure:

Repair Procedure:

1. Through the hole in the bottom of the SCCM (refer to illustration) insert a T30 Torx driver and loosen the clamp screw approximately 4 turns. Do not remove the screw.
2. Pull the SCCM upward on the column tube toward the steering wheel as far as possible. The amount of movement is limited because the clamp screw is captured within an oval shaped hole in the tab on the casting of the column tube.
3. Re-tighten the screw.
4. Test drive the vehicle.

On the car I fixed pulling the SCM towards the steering wheel evenly it did not move at all. I believe I pulled only on the left side and it moved. I then held it pulled out and tightened the screw. Give it a shot. If you want the full procedure PM me your eMail.
2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline-5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red- Gone-5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Last edited by TBird100636; 11-03-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:25 PM

My Charger: 2008 Charger R/T
my car was doing the same thing (08 rt), i followed the STAR case and now it works perfectly. and it was only with left turns, got a bit nasty in wet weather, cause my trac control would come off in the middle of a corner and I would get tire spin

'08 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7L
Thrush "Welded" Two-Chamber Mufflers w/axle dump
K&N Box Filter
255/55R18 Firestone Destination ST 100W x4
20% Window Tint & Eyebrow Tint
'Dipped Wheels, Emblems, Corner Lights, Spoiler, & Taillights
Painted Brake Calipers
Old 11-06-2013, 03:41 PM

TBird100636,

First , thanks a lot for replying,

So If I'm not mistaken , I would say yes most probably it happens when I turn left. (Almost 90% sure).

And to fully understand that Fix you suggesting , I DO NOT need to take out or dissemble any parts ? I don't need take the AirBag or the ESP or any of that jazz out ?

I peaked last night on that Hole and I think I found it , Well its the only hole at the bottom of the SCCM. So just to get that Clear I just need to lose the screw inside that hole and pull the SCCM towards me (To the outside so its fully Extended ) then re-tight that screw ? That's it ?

Last edited by 300x300; 11-06-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:46 PM

chargerfreak08,

Can you please provide more details on the fix steps ?

PLEASE and thank you
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM

More Info please ?

chargerfreak08,

Can you please provide more details on the fix steps ?

PLEASE and thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerfreak08 View Post
my car was doing the same thing (08 rt), i followed the STAR case and now it works perfectly. and it was only with left turns, got a bit nasty in wet weather, cause my trac control would come off in the middle of a corner and I would get tire spin
Old 11-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Couple of questions ?

TBird100636,

First , thanks a lot for replying,

So If I'm not mistaken , I would say yes most probably it happens when I turn left. (Almost 90% sure).

And to fully understand that Fix you suggesting , I DO NOT need to take out or dissemble any parts ? I don't need take the AirBag or the ESP or any of that jazz out ?

I peaked last night on that Hole and I think I found it , Well its the only hole at the bottom of the SCCM. So just to get that Clear I just need to lose the screw inside that hole and pull the SCCM towards me (To the outside so its fully Extended ) then re-tight that screw ? That's it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBird100636 View Post
Light comes back on when making moderate left turn? If so read this:

There is a STAR case relating to steering shaft protrusion in relation to the ESP light coming on from SAS calibration. It involves removing the steering wheel & SCM (plastic collar containing clockspring, cruise switch, SCCM, Multifunction Switch and SAS)and measuring the shaft protrusion. But... you say it comes on when making left turns. I had an 08 with this exact same problem. Found the STAR case and saved some time. I didn't measure the column, but skipped ahead and just tried the repair procedure for if the column was ok. It worked. The procedure mistakenly instructs to use a T25 Torx screwdriver. You have to use a T30 Torx screwdriver, not a replaceable bit type. Here's the procedure:

Repair Procedure:

1. Through the hole in the bottom of the SCCM (refer to illustration) insert a T30 Torx driver and loosen the clamp screw approximately 4 turns. Do not remove the screw.
2. Pull the SCCM upward on the column tube toward the steering wheel as far as possible. The amount of movement is limited because the clamp screw is captured within an oval shaped hole in the tab on the casting of the column tube.
3. Re-tighten the screw.
4. Test drive the vehicle.

On the car I fixed pulling the SCM towards the steering wheel evenly it did not move at all. I believe I pulled only on the left side and it moved. I then held it pulled out and tightened the screw. Give it a shot. If you want the full procedure PM me your eMail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.