Leather Seats My Butt! - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 06-22-2010, 06:50 AM
jjbNana

(Thread Starter)
Angry Leather Seats My Butt!

Anyone else with the Daytona (or SRT) have issues with the side bolsters (bottom & back) of our front "leather seats with suede inserts" having cracking issues? There seem to be vinyl (i.e., pleather) panels sown into our leather seats that are cracking on my car. There's also a seam between the pleather and leather that is tearing near the right shoulder area side of my driver's seat. Is anyone else as disappointed in their factory so-called "leather" seats? I think the SRT's have nearly identical seats to my '06 Daytona.

When my factory warranty ran out, the dealer says my extended warranty does not cover upholstery, and it'll be around $1000 for one seat. I went to a local upholstery shop, who told me they would replace the pleather sections and stitch in new leather to replace them, but it would be about $650 to do the one seat.

//Homemade CAI/NOesp/TranZformer/DS Predator/SRT8 headers & mids/SRT8 Corsa Sport catback/ACES IV/QB fluids/custom half covers/REM strut brace/sequential turn signals/Danko chin/custom rear diffuser/yellow fogs/6.1-6spd mounts/BCR coilovers/R1 Concepts s&d rotors/324 rwhp/369 rwtq//
“Because you can't argue with all the fools in the world. It's easier to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not paying attention.”
― Christopher Paolini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2010, 08:04 AM
moparknighthawk

SRT's have the real leather seats. Daytona's and the Road and Track packages got an imitation. Its a synthetic leather product. Its supposed to be more durable IF taken care of. I don't have any problems with mine so far in 48,000 miles.

Greg
Mopar Traditionalist "You can NEVER have too many cars"
2006 GoMango Dodge Charger Daytona # 1592 of 4000. (4 door coupe)
#3 Old 06-22-2010, 08:10 AM
1stDodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbNana View Post
Anyone else with the Daytona (or SRT) have issues with the side bolsters (bottom & back) of our front "leather seats with suede inserts" having cracking issues? There seem to be vinyl (i.e., pleather) panels sown into our leather seats that are cracking on my car. There's also a seam between the pleather and leather that is tearing near the right shoulder area side of my driver's seat. Is anyone else as disappointed in their factory so-called "leather" seats? I think the SRT's have nearly identical seats to my '06 Daytona.

When my factory warranty ran out, the dealer says my extended warranty does not cover upholstery, and it'll be around $1000 for one seat. I went to a local upholstery shop, who told me they would replace the pleather sections and stitch in new leather to replace them, but it would be about $650 to do the one seat.
What are you using to take care of them?

2006 R/T
#4 Old 06-22-2010, 08:21 AM
jjbNana

(Thread Starter)
Well, I don't know what the guy before me used (probably nothing), but I'm using a leather cleaner/conditioner wipe (don't remember the brand, but it's not Armor All). I got the windows tinted recently, I keep it in my garage at home and a open air garage at work.
#5 Old 06-22-2010, 08:35 AM
1stDodge

I'm using the leather cleaner and conditioner from Adams Polishes in our car. It's not the SRT, so I can't really compare, but the seats stay soft. Brian (BND) also makes a cleaner and conditioner. Either one of these would be better than a wipe.

Good thing you stayed away from Armor All. When I tell people how it dries stuff out, they don't believe me.
#6 Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 AM
jjbNana

(Thread Starter)
Great. Thanks for the advice and your time.

Cheers!
#7 Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 AM
dodgetimes2

Mine cracked shorty after the warranty ran out as well. I have 3 cracks in the driver side bolster. I've heard that many upholstery shops can fix it by heating it up and gluing it back together. There are some cheap DIY vinyl repair kits too but I'm not sure I'd trust myself to do it.

2006 Go Man Go Daytona #2441 - 20" American Racing Torq Thurst Wheels, AFE Stage 2 CAI, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Diablo Predator, DIY trunk lid liner, 22elite console cover with embroidery by Jina, visor desguisers by streamlinedesign, glovebox light mod, hood prop mod
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4, 6" Skyjacker suspension lift, 3" PA body lift, 38" SuperSwamper SSR tires, 16"x10" Helo Maxx 6 wheels, nerf bars
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4, stock for now other than nerf bars
#8 Old 06-22-2010, 09:15 AM
jjbNana

(Thread Starter)
It looks like someone tried to repair the left side bolster on the mid-back part, but the bottom left side bolster has 3 cracks like yours. The actual leather parts of the seats seem to be nice and soft/supple, but the imitation parts they used (to cut cost, I'm guessing) are taking a beating at least on the driver's side. I'm not that big a guy, and am usually pretty careful getting in and out. Are the Daytona's and R/T's with these seats not intended to be daily drivers? I would find that hard to believe.

My whole *itch about this is based on the build sheet and advertisements for the Daytona's say the cars have "leather seats with suede inserts," and mentioned nothing about partial leather/imitation leather!
#9 Old 06-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Kidd_Funkadelic

I recently discovered a small tear after leaving it at the shop. (That's the second vehicle this has happened to me!) Anyway, look for an authorized Dr. Vinyl rep in your area. He did mine in my work parking lot and for $85 you'd never know it was there. And FYI they do leather and cloth as well as our vinyl Daytona seats.

Kidd_Funkadelic
GMG Daytona #3670 of 4000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List