Fixed! O2 Sensor - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 05-24-2010, 09:59 AM
rtmadness

(Thread Starter)
Fixed! O2 Sensor

Recently I replaced an O2 sensor, easier than I thought and cel hasn't come on again.

Here's what i have:

2007 Dodge Charger R/T (w/out track pkg)
Check engine light came on and the diagnostic code read 013a. After some research that code means "O2 Sensor 1/2 - Rich or Lean"
-Dodge dealership wasn't completely useless for this, but not that much help, after the reasearch I had already done I was far more knowlegeable on this one small issue than the guy I bought the part from.

Between the Haynes Guide and dealership "Sensor 1/2" means "Sensor 1 Bank 2" = post cat passenger side

Cost for O2 sensor from Dodge dealership = $55.00
Time to replace = 20min (with no prior experience doing this)
Research time spent = approx 2-3 hrs (Reading Haynes, forums, talking to other members, friends, mechanics, dealer etc)

Steps:
1. Buy Haynes guide - invaluable, but really costs less than $50 and VERY worth it
2. Buy correct O2 sensor from dealer
3. MAKE SURE EXHAUST IS COOL BEFORE WORKING ON!!!!!!
4. Follow Haynes guide for replacement (uninstall = unplug, unscrew and reverse steps to install)
DONE!

Sidebar: I have a jack and jackstands, but I saw yesterday that Autozone sells these ramps that you can drive your ride onto, seems a lot better, costs about $50/ramp I think. (plus you can buy the sled to lay on, def on my xmas list this year )

The Haynes guide says that after you've replaced the sensor you are to reset the PCM, and calibrate some things (more on that below). To reset the PCM I opened the trunk, and opened the cover to the spare tire compartment where the battery is on the right. Used a 1/2" wrench to disconnect the NEGATIVE (that's very important) and left it for a min or so, then reconnected it. This clears the settings and allows the PCM to lean the O2 levels from the new sensor. It will otherwise base it's readings off the old sensor and you will definately get the CEL coming on again. (I was able to test and verify this as I had an oil change and asked the guy to clear the codes, afterwards I replaced the sensor, then the CEL came on, reset the PCM the following day and no CEL since)

After that's done (and you've reset your radio/XM stations) the Haynes guide instructs you to recalibrate things such as the Steering Angle Sensor (SAS) and any Power Up windows. There are instructions how to do these both HOWEVER on 2007 models it said that SAS must be recalibrated by the dealership - this affects the ESP. Dodge dealer also said that this is not necessary b/c it's just like changing a battery and you wouldn't recalibrate the SAS if you change a battery. I haven't recalibrated the SAS and haven't noticed any change in ESP, and I have def tested it

Well that's a long post for an easy fix. Hope it helps someone.

Derek

RIP DIO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-13-2010, 10:30 AM
MarauderRT

Send a message via AIM to MarauderRT
Whats the part # for the O2 Sensor.. I have the same problem = (

MarauderRT
2007 Dodge Charger R/T
5.7 Liter Hemi
Mopar360.COM
#3 Old 12-13-2010, 12:19 PM
rtmadness

(Thread Starter)
I don't have the part number, but the haynes guide has it all. Or you can remove the sensor and find the same one.

Follow up - unfortunately it turns out that there's some pinholes in the flex tube that's attached to the cat converter which is causing the O2 readings not to match pre/post cat. This is what's causing the cel to come on. I've heard a talented welder could prob fix that, otherwise replacements cost about $300 i'm told. Have someone perform a thurough inspection, or jack it up and check things yourself. I didn't realize what other things could cause that code 013a to come up, but start with a THUROUGH visual inspection, have a pro check it out, and if it's just the sensors replace yourself. Later
#4 Old 12-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Dookie

Bank 1 sensor 2 is divers side rear sensor (post catalytic converter) This sensor is mainly used to be sure the catalytic converter is operating properly. If this sensor fails, no harm is done, and nothing is compromised as far as performance. However, you will not be able to pass emission.

Name is Kyle
SRT-8 426ci Powered
#5 Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM
ahamayym

I have a V6 model and wound up getting the correct O2 sensor at NAPA auto parts for $36. They were the only ones that had it though. It's also a Bosch platinum, so you know it's a aquality part. Just my 2 cents.

2008 SE+ Steel blue with Daytona suitcase and 9db Blastin Bobs reso kit. MV Old School Gun Metal wheels with polished rim wrapped in Yokohama Prada Specs 245/45-20 all around..

and a longer list of wishes... Lol
#6 Old 12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
R/t Ran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtmadness View Post
I don't have the part number, but the haynes guide has it all. Or you can remove the sensor and find the same one.

Follow up - unfortunately it turns out that there's some pinholes in the flex tube that's attached to the cat converter which is causing the O2 readings not to match pre/post cat. This is what's causing the cel to come on. I've heard a talented welder could prob fix that, otherwise replacements cost about $300 i'm told. Have someone perform a thurough inspection, or jack it up and check things yourself. I didn't realize what other things could cause that code 013a to come up, but start with a THUROUGH visual inspection, have a pro check it out, and if it's just the sensors replace yourself. Later
I have the same problem unfortunately. Found out after replacing both the o2 sensors and getting the computer flashed unfortunately. I spent around $350 before they isolated the real problem. They wanted $1200 to fix it saying the cats were bad and leaking.

Got up under there myself and noticed little pinholes leaking hot air.

I opted to get a predator and just shut them off instead of replacing the midpipes for that minor issue until I get a good deal on some mid pipes.

I dont have the exact part number but I got mine from here just fill in car details and type in oxygen sensor

2007 Charger R/T R&T-Sold
2013 Charger R/T R&T w/ Super Track Pack- Current
Space City LX Modern Mopar

Last edited by R/t Ran; 12-13-2010 at 01:54 PM.
#7 Old 12-13-2010, 03:40 PM
richd

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/t Ran View Post
I have the same problem unfortunately. Found out after replacing both the o2 sensors and getting the computer flashed unfortunately. I spent around $350 before they isolated the real problem. They wanted $1200 to fix it saying the cats were bad and leaking.

Got up under there myself and noticed little pinholes leaking hot air.

I opted to get a predator and just shut them off instead of replacing the midpipes for that minor issue until I get a good deal on some mid pipes.

I dont have the exact part number but I got mine from here just fill in car details and type in oxygen sensor
The cats have a 8yr/80k mile emission warranty,if you want you can get them replaced under warranty if you car is under the mileage.
#8 Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 AM
MarauderRT

Send a message via AIM to MarauderRT
Thanks for the replies guys.. really do appreciate it.. Just need to wait for the right weather.. its been raining out here in CA..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Tags
013a, 2007 r/t, o2 sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List