Brake light/Rear turn signal failure - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:46 PM

Brake light/Rear turn signal failure

My rear right turn signal/brake light isn't working. The front right signal was flashing rapidly so I changed the rear bulb, the filaments are not burnt out on the old bulb (I know there are two filaments, one for brake/signal and one for running lights) I checked the wires by eye and nothing looks frayed or loose.

Now i'm a little bit worried, as I don't want to take it to a mechanic and have to pay an arm and a leg and can't really afford it at the moment anyway...

Any suggestions given that it's not the bulb?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

Does the harness look damaged at all?
Old 05-06-2010, 10:05 PM

No, nothing is loose, everything appears to be connected as it should be.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

I only ask that because getting the bulbs out of the lights can be hard sometimes. They stick and you pull you know? Have you checked fuses?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:16 AM

After checking in the manual and the haynes manual I couldn't really ascertain which fuses related to the brake/signal lights. Neither manual specifies a fuse for those lights. If the fuse had gone, why would it only affect one side, my past experience with blown fuses on cars always left both sets of lights not working.

There must be an electrical problem somewhere, my worry is that it's going to be expensive to get to the root of the problem.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:04 PM

Normally single lights that do not work (after bulb replacement) on a circuit with multiple lights (like your case) mean that the socket itself has a problem of some kind.
This is usually corrosion but could also be physical damage. Ensure that no corrosion or physical damage is present.

If the socket is OK try this to narrow it down:

1. Remove the inoperative taillight bulb from the socket.
2. Activate the right turn signal
3. Using a voltmeter (can be a cheapie from Radio Shack, etc) probe for voltage at the bulb contacts in the socket.
Note: The black wire (with or without a stripe) is ground. The non-black wire (with or without a stripe) is power to the bulb.
4. If you do get voltage then test the other bulb connection for a proper ground.

Let us know what you find.

Lugnut

Last edited by Lugnut; 05-10-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 AM

Man... my mechanic took a look at it, changed the bulb and it works fine now. So it looks like I bought a bad bulb, the filaments looked fine on both the old bulb and the new one I got. Lucky for me it cost me nothing for the mechanic to fix it. Always check your bulbs.... I should have checked it with the left hand signal.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:51 AM

Be prepared for it to happen again. That happened to me as well and with every closure of the trunk the light may tend to work or not. I finally had to go to the dealer and they charged me to replace the wiring in the back of the car. I think the whole bill came to $350 but that included a replacement of the third brake light so I am not sure what it cost to fix alone. Good luck...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.