inner tie rod replacement instructions - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension Discussion about anything involving the wheels, tires, suspension components, etc.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 AM

inner tie rod replacement instructions

Hey folks, Ive been searching around, and have determined I need to replace my inner tie rods. Outers were done recently but I'm not paying any one to do this. I just need some instructions and a bottle of beer.

anyone know where i can find an exploded view or instructions for this job? Also any special tools needed?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 12:11 PM

My Charger: 2006 RT
Free bump, I'm interested in this as well.
20" Black Challenger replicas with Hankook Ventus ST RH06 275/40R20 tires - Pedders springs and shocks (shocks blew out after 30K miles, so KYB GR2 now) - Auto-headlight mod - 15% tint - SLP LMII w/Magnaflow resonators - Line-X grill - Bwoody endlinks

Front-end parts replaced: Tension struts (twice), inner & outer tie rods (twice), swaybar end links (twice), lower ball joints, struts (twice), shocks (twice), springs, sway bar bushings (twice), upper control arms, clunking again.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:42 AM

okay not the answer you want to hear. after searching on Mitchell on demand. looks like the entire rack and pinion will need replacing if the inner tie rod is bad.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronze View Post
okay not the answer you want to hear. after searching on Mitchell on demand. looks like the entire rack and pinion will need replacing if the inner tie rod is bad.
This isnt the case. The inner tie rods are very replaceable without replacing the rack.

I don't have anything in front of me for wrench sizes needed at the moment so bear with me.

First lift up the car and use jack stands. Back the nut off where the inner and outer tie rod meet. I marked where the inner and outer met so that way I was relatively close when reinstalling. I measured the mark I put on the inner tierod and placed the mark on the replacement. You still should get an alignment afterwards. If your outer need replaced do it now with the inners. If not then leave the outers bolted to the knuckle. There is a flat spot on the inners to put a wrench too. Turn it to remove the inner rod from the outer rod. Then remove the boot. The small clamp just use pliers to crimp and slid off. The large one a small screw driver is needed. You can reuse the small one and also the large one if removed carefully. If not Napa or the dealer has a replacement. You will need to crimp it down during reinstall. Then put a wrench on the innser tie rod where it connects to the rack. It's pretty big. Remove it. Put locktite on the new tie rod and reinstall using the same procedure. I suggest getting torque specs on tighting the inner to the rack. I'm sorry I dont have them in front of me. Put grease on the iner tie rod end where the ball joint is for lubrication and to keep out moisture. Also put some on the boot ends to slide on easier. Put the retaining clips on the boot and put it on the rack and inner tie rod. Then using your measuerment on how far the outer tie rod was on the inner mark it and put the nut on it. Then put a wrench on the flat spot on the inner and thread it into the outer until you get to thea mark. Then make sure you tighten the nut to the outer tierod. Get an alignment. I wished it could me more detailed than this.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:38 AM

I copied the field service instructions to excel and posted a link here.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-45ca463a.html
Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronze View Post
I was able to change my inner tie rods with out doing the rack. Got inners outers by moogs
Preditor 93 Oct. tune K&N Cai,MagnaFlow Catback, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats, BND Aces IV and Quatum Blue, Shocker Train Horn, Getrag 3.73 LSD conversion kit,22 inch chrome Vipers

Old 05-01-2010, 08:37 PM

mmm glad im wrong. did a quick search online. even went as far as Mitchell on demand for an hour and i came to that conclusion.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
I copied the field service instructions to excel and posted a link here.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-45ca463a.html
sweet thanks!!
Old 05-11-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakin View Post
Hey folks, Ive been searching around, and have determined I need to replace my inner tie rods. Outers were done recently but I'm not paying any one to do this. I just need some instructions and a bottle of beer.

anyone know where i can find an exploded view or instructions for this job? Also any special tools needed?

thanks
You can also see vids of inner and outer and lower ball joints replacements on you tube
Old 05-11-2010, 06:30 PM

I replaced my outers and most if not all of my clunk is gone.

GreenGoblin V6 to VVT 5.7 Hemi by PlumFlooredCreations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.