Homemade CAI write up with pics - Page 3 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Performance Discussion/Modifications Discuss any performance modification in this section.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroticdave View Post
So has anyone with the radiator belly pan removed done this? I have been toying with this idea for a while now, but that has been my biggest concern.
Do you maen to do the instalation or keeping the belly pan off permanently?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMG1441 View Post
I just cut the PCV tube, and put a small breather filter on it.

I'll have to look into your solution for the PCV. . .
Having a filter on that one is probably fine (not quite legal) it is basically a relief vent for the engine.

2010 R/T DWBlue, 2800 PI stall, Homemade CAI, JBA headers and mids, SLP LMII catback, Custom tune by Diablotoona, 180 T-stat, 3.06 Getrag.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:07 PM

Nice mod.
I did something similar to my 5.7

I figured thsat since outside air is always cooler than air already inside the engine compartment, it just seemed like the easy 'just gotta do it' kind of mod. The biggest difference between our 2 home made versions is that I retained the factory filter and housing.
I used 4" flexible ducting (it looks like dryer vent stuff but is industrial) to route from that same hole under the airbox down & out through that front angled air diverter thing (that I removed), and the open end is right behind the front lower fascia opening.

I used a few layers of weatherstripping foam w/ adhesive backing on the underside of the airbox and another on the metal fender area to ensure a good seal, essentially forcing cooler air to come in through the 4" ducting.

I don't care about water issues because by retaining the factory airbox & filter, it can't get in now any easier than before the mod.
I made sure not to seal off the small drain hole on the airbox, just in case I decide to forage a small stream to make a wicked getaway.

Mine might work better than without the tube, who knows?
Yours probably does, and it looks good too -- you can't eve see mine.
+++

'08 Silver R/T
'05 Tahoe

+++
Old 07-03-2010, 03:37 PM

sooo.............you gonna build one I can buy off you since I would NEVER be able to succesfully build this myself (no patience, mess everything up)
2007 Sublime Daytona #667 - FLXC member
now on 24" Status Symbols wrapped in Toyo 265/25/zr24 proxes 4s
Old 07-03-2010, 06:56 PM

LOL, I could. . it'd basically be just getting you a parts list together for assembly. . . LOL

If we lived closer together I'd offer to meet you and help ya out, but 13 states exceeds the "helpin' out" range for me.

Seriously though, if I can do it, pretty much anyone can.
Previous proud owner of a 2006 Daytona R/T in GoManGo #1411
Now a proud Ram1500 owner.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Charger: 2010 Charger R/T
I bought an aluminum tube from silicone intakes at the same time as the silicone, the hardest part was cutting that to length with a hacksaw, in a vise (wrapped in rubber).
Old 07-06-2010, 03:04 PM

TIGHT.. Much props on the update..
Old 07-08-2010, 01:24 PM

My Charger: 2010 SXT
Yea, I'm impressed. I'm not nearly as mechanically inclined, preferring small, easy to do jobs that don't take much time. Well done.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:26 PM

***UPDATE***

After having the intake in place for a few months I upgraded my fog lights to HID's. While I had the front air dam off, I inspected the filter for water damage, or any outright signs of problems.

There were none. The filter looked as clean as the day it was installed. Still nice and K&N red oiled up. No dirt stuck in the filtering element, etc etc.

Just wanted to update the thread for anyone interested in this mod.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM

Hey, GMG,

I have a questions about the filter you're running. Is there much clearance around it? What I'm looking for is whether or not there is room for a larger 3.5" filter to flow more air, or if a bigger filter may not fit in the space available.

Cheers

//Homemade CAI/NOesp/TranZformer/DS Predator/SRT8 headers & mids/SRT8 Corsa Sport catback/ACES IV/QB fluids/custom half covers/REM strut brace/sequential turn signals/Danko chin/custom rear diffuser/yellow fogs/6.1-6spd mounts/BCR coilovers/R1 Concepts s&d rotors/324 rwhp/369 rwtq//
“Because you can't argue with all the fools in the world. It's easier to let them have their way, then trick them when they're not paying attention.”
― Christopher Paolini
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Performance Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.