Radiator drain location? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Radiator drain location?

Hoping somebody can help quick as I'm short on time. I can't seem to figure out how to drain the coolant on my Daytona. I have all the underbody plastic pieces off and have found what i believe is the radiator pet****. I've turned the pet**** to the open position and nothing happens. I've also taken off the small length of drain hose to make sure that wasn't plugged. Is there a chance the pet**** is plugged? Or is there a drain bolt somewhere? Thanks.
2006 Go Man Go Daytona #2441 - 20" American Racing Torq Thurst Wheels, AFE Stage 2 CAI, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Diablo Predator, DIY trunk lid liner, 22elite console cover with embroidery by Jina, visor desguisers by streamlinedesign, glovebox light mod, hood prop mod
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4, 6" Skyjacker suspension lift, 3" PA body lift, 38" SuperSwamper SSR tires, 16"x10" Helo Maxx 6 wheels, nerf bars
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4, stock for now other than nerf bars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Banned User

bottom right of the radiator as your looking at it from underneath
Old 11-21-2009, 06:23 PM

Still couldn't find the damn thing. I have opened the pet**** 90 degrees and nothing happens. I've attached pictures of the pet**** location (yes, it's on the bottom passenger side). I have the service manual and it states there is a drain bolt but the diagram shown is not very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00043s.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	50277   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00044s.jpg
Views:	1236
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	50278   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00045.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	50279  
Old 11-21-2009, 06:56 PM

Thats it bud.Twist and pull

www.custombilletstore.com
Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 PM

Twist and pull!! You figure the damn 1000 page service manual would tell you that. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, ran out of daylight. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:29 AM

My Charger: 2011 Charger R/T Plus AWD
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgetimes2 View Post
Still couldn't find the damn thing. I have opened the pet**** 90 degrees and nothing happens. I've attached pictures of the pet**** location (yes, it's on the bottom passenger side). I have the service manual and it states there is a drain bolt but the diagram shown is not very good.
You have to turn the pet**** more than 90 * and gently pull out while turning to get it to drain.
2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline-5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red- Gone-5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636
Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 AM

I am not sure if this true but I read this while reading about coolant flush:

If you are doing a backyard "coolant flush" (you are trying to get ALL the old stuff out) then you should realize it is virtually impossible to get all the old coolant out of your cooling system. Even when the radiator is completely drained there is still usually about half of the total system capacity of coolant left in your engine block. The only good way to get this all out is to take it to a professional that has a coolant flush machine.

If Wicked could tell us if most dealerships use these machines and if he recommends this instead of changing it ourselves.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerS.X.T View Post
I am not sure if this true but I read this while reading about coolant flush:

If you are doing a backyard "coolant flush" (you are trying to get ALL the old stuff out) then you should realize it is virtually impossible to get all the old coolant out of your cooling system. Even when the radiator is completely drained there is still usually about half of the total system capacity of coolant left in your engine block. The only good way to get this all out is to take it to a professional that has a coolant flush machine.

If Wicked could tell us if most dealerships use these machines and if he recommends this instead of changing it ourselves.

Well there are a few tricks to avoid running the car to the dealer/Mechanic.

You can remove the Thermostat and use a air hose and force the coolant out.

Just a suggestion
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 AM

Twist and pull and twist. That did the trick. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.