Surging at idle in gear - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
4FishLimit

(Thread Starter)
Surging at idle in gear

I was wondering if any other '09 R/T owners have noticed this or not (or even other years for that matter). Sometimes while stopped at idle, the RPMs will surge and the car moves forward slightly, like you're pressing on the throttle and brake at the same time.

The car doesn't really move forward, but it is annoying when pulling into a parking stall or when stopped at a red light. I checked the list of TSB's out for '09 and haven't seen anything related to this yet.

2009 Stone White R/T-Painted Calipers,MOPAR CAI,Tint,Stripes by RiderGraphix,Daytona Spoiler, Eibach Pro-Kit

1986 Pontiac Trans Am- 305 TPI, 700R4, Factory WS6 Car, 100K on the clock, Far From Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-15-2009, 11:42 PM
Griff

Yeah, I've noticed this happening with my '09 R/T as well. It doesn't happen very often, and it seems to be totally random, but it's kind of unsettling. Makes you feel like you need to step on the brake pedal harder to keep the car from moving forward. Almost like you're trying to do a brakestand.

'09 Torred R/T - Gone but not forgotten!
Mods List:
- Mopar rear air diffuser
- "Torque is Good" license plate frame by Beta Designs

- Hood Struts
- AirHog air filter
- SilverStar heads & fogs
#3 Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 AM
goincd3

I have an 09 RT and haven't noticed anything...if I do I'll be sure to post here.

2009 R/T
Brilliant Black Pearl
Bay Area Modern Mopar
#4 Old 11-16-2009, 05:12 AM
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4FishLimit View Post
I was wondering if any other '09 R/T owners have noticed this or not (or even other years for that matter). Sometimes while stopped at idle, the RPMs will surge and the car moves forward slightly, like you're pressing on the throttle and brake at the same time.

The car doesn't really move forward, but it is annoying when pulling into a parking stall or when stopped at a red light. I checked the list of TSB's out for '09 and haven't seen anything related to this yet.
This is simply an educated guess, but the 09s and up use Deceleration Fuel Cutoff. It is basically where the engine has deceleration fuel shut off and camshaft controlled charge trapping. It is designed to save fuel and also reduce NOx during deceleration and idle. It can only be used in an engine that has variable valve timing and electronic throttle control.

This is the case with the 09 and later Chargers.

It could at least be a clue here.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
#5 Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 PM
4FishLimit

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 370 HEMI View Post
This is simply an educated guess, but the 09s and up use Deceleration Fuel Cutoff. It is basically where the engine has deceleration fuel shut off and camshaft controlled charge trapping. It is designed to save fuel and also reduce NOx during deceleration and idle. It can only be used in an engine that has variable valve timing and electronic throttle control.

This is the case with the 09 and later Chargers.

It could at least be a clue here.

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
That's a good place to start, but the only problem is that this happens at random, well after any deceleration has occured. I'd hope that this isn't just the nature of having such a feature, as it is quite noticeable and a little annoying.

I may drop it by the dealer if I get some spare time in the coming weeks. Otherwise I'll just keep checking out the list of TSB's for the LX's.
#6 Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
4FishLimit

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
Yeah, I've noticed this happening with my '09 R/T as well. It doesn't happen very often, and it seems to be totally random, but it's kind of unsettling. Makes you feel like you need to step on the brake pedal harder to keep the car from moving forward. Almost like you're trying to do a brakestand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goincd3 View Post
I have an 09 RT and haven't noticed anything...if I do I'll be sure to post here.
Just a thought, what are the production dates for your vehicles?

Ours was manufactured in October 2008.
#7 Old 11-16-2009, 11:01 PM
alberni_charger_R/T

i've got an 07 R/T n she does the same thing, from time to time...still catches me off guard,find myself pressin harder on the brake..lol thinkin i let off n im rollin into traffic...

Last edited by alberni_charger_R/T; 11-16-2009 at 11:03 PM.
#8 Old 11-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Griff

Mine is a mid-Feb. '09 build date.
#9 Old 11-17-2009, 07:50 AM
mnunes
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Are you running the A/C (even in auto)? Each time the compressor turns on I notice the idle jump up slightly. If my foot's not securely on the brake it can make the car roll forward.
#10 Old 11-17-2009, 08:01 AM
PLUM CRZY 1074

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnunes View Post
Are you running the A/C (even in auto)? Each time the compressor turns on I notice the idle jump up slightly. If my foot's not securely on the brake it can make the car roll forward.
I noticed it also. I have my idle turned down to 600rpm and i thought it was when the fans kicked on/off or the blower motor for the HVAC system was turning on for auto mode control. Of course I also think part of mine is my cam too.

Mods:
INDY MAXX HEADS, RACE WARRIOR CAM, 6.1L LIFTERS(NO MDS), 125HP ZEX NOS, NGK #4307COLDER PLUGS, SLP L/T HEADERS, FLOWMASTER AMERICAN THUNDER CATBACK, DYNOSTEVE/RDP EMAIL TUNE, PREDATOR,180 T/STAT, K&N CAI, PAINTED CAI and ENGINE COVER, 30% TINT ALL AROUND, HOOD STRUTS, SYLVANIA SILVERSTARS.
11.986@113.49MPH 1.826 60' on RSA's. BEST TRAP SPEED=115.3mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List