burnin a lot of gas and questions why? - Dodge Charger Forums
V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

#1 Old 10-18-2009, 04:35 PM
boost it

(Thread Starter)
burnin a lot of gas and questions why?

so i had a ? i have a 3.5 charger wit 3in custom exhust and AEM cold air intake and the diablo tuner running on the 93 octan and seems like i am buring more gas then what i have been burnin before wit all the mods i have on? but might be cuz i push drive fast sometimes. and will it be bad to change the tune to 87 octan and run 87 for the witer to save gas.dont want to change it back and forth between summer and winter and effect the car can any one help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM
btoms4420

you probably are losing gas mileage due to not enough back pressure. the factory exhaust is 2 1/4" single. if you changed to 3 inch dual exhaust you lost a lot of back pressure which will result in less mpg. I used to run a super 44 single in/ dual out with turndowns dumping right behind the rear axle. it was really loud, but i lost some back pressure. I now am running the super 44 single in/ dual out with straight pipes and no resonators. I have seen an increase of mpg since the change. I think going with a smaller diameter exhaust will help out greatly in your mpg. and going back to 87 octane/ stock tune should be fine for winter and should not cause and problems. hope that helps man.
#3 Old 10-18-2009, 04:53 PM
boost it

(Thread Starter)
will i think u might be rit cuz i exhaust is 3 in and no resonators and no muffler but sound sick and the car runs a lot faster then the stock one and i have dual exits so idk just seem like i am burn to much gas and when i get on it for a bit and then i go home i lost about mabe almost a half qtr.

BOOOSSST IT
#4 Old 10-18-2009, 04:55 PM
boost it

(Thread Starter)
lol or maybe i should just stop getin on it lol
#5 Old 10-20-2009, 09:20 PM
RScottyL

Garage
What is your gas mileage???????????

2014 Dodge Charger R/T (07/01/2014) Pitch Black EXT/Black INT +Wheels and Tunes Group +Navigation/Rear Back-Up Camera Group
(07/22/2014) 20% / 20% window tint
(09/18/2014) LED Puddle Lights
(09/25/2014) Started using ACES IV Gasoline Formula
(10/01/2014) LED Vanity Mirror Lights and LED License Plate Light
-------------------------
How do I..... EVERYTHING!
#6 Old 10-21-2009, 01:38 AM
Silver Charger R/T fan

so... mmm.. I want to install the dual exit exhaust (obviously my v6, no my v8 lol) but without muffler and no resonator... just a pipe with a "Y" , what can I check first?? the size?? 2 1/4 or lower or higher? any problems to my engine and less mpgs????

thnx!

2007 Bright Silver Dodge Charger R/T. Sylvania Silverstars, tinted windows, painted calipers (red viper), SRT8 rear spoiler, tires with nitrogen.
2006 Magnesium Dodge Charger 3.5 H.O., Sylvania Silverstars, tires with nitrogen.
and other mopars at the garage!!
#7 Old 10-21-2009, 06:06 AM
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost it View Post
so i had a ? i have a 3.5 charger wit 3in custom exhaust and AEM cold air intake and the Diablo tuner running on the 93 octane and seems like i am burning more gas then what i have been burnin before wit all the mods i have on? but might be cuz i push drive fast sometimes. and will it be bad to change the tune to 87 octane and run 87 for the winter to save gas. Don't want to change it back and forth between summer and winter and effect the car can any one help?
I have to agree with the others. The 3" exhaust has caused you to lose some scavenge in your cylinders for sure. However, running a Diablo Predator on a 93 tune will put more fuel into your engine as it is a performance tune. It uses a portion of the fuel as coolant.

If you do not have any internal mods in your engine, the 93 is just slowing down the burn to the point you are putting too much fuel into the engine and not really getting efficiency. When you tune the engine for the best efficiency, you will get the best Horsepower too!

87 and the stock tune will give you better fuel economy and the engine will handle that just fine. However, if you want more performance and MPG consider using the ACES IV in your fuel. It produces more power per fuel charge with lower octane fuel that will run in your 10.1 to1 motor. Get lubricity for your 4 valve stems per cylinder and upper cylinder lubricity to cushion the valve seats, faces, valve guides and valve stems.

Great difference in power and fuel economy.

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040

More Power, More Torque, Better MPGs - It's "Rocket Fuel For Your Car"

Custom Designed & Custom Blended "ALWAYS beats off the shelf brands"

Better cooling, better protection without all "The Gunk"
#8 Old 10-23-2009, 11:48 PM
boost it

(Thread Starter)
well ball park when i i checked the mpg it looks to be some what around 17 or 16 just seems that it burns to fast.i just changed it to 87 and runin the stock tune for the winter and i am savein a lot more gas, even when i get on it. but still feel a big diff when i am puttin the 93 tune vs. the 87 tune. big diff wit the 93 octan tune car responds faster and add more power on the wheels.
#9 Old 10-24-2009, 08:51 AM
370 HEMI
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boost it View Post
well ball park when i i checked the mpg it looks to be some what around 17 or 16 just seems that it burns to fast.i just changed it to 87 and runin the stock tune for the winter and i am savein a lot more gas, even when i get on it. but still feel a big diff when i am puttin the 93 tune vs. the 87 tune. big diff wit the 93 octan tune car responds faster and add more power on the wheels.
This is where the ACES IV can really help. If you add it to the 87 octane fuel, the engine will perform like on 92-93 octane and add lubricity in the cylinders that presently you don't have. Quiet down the motor and put more power to the wheels.

Thanks
Brian
BND Automotive LLC
440-821-9040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List