What's that Annoying plastic/black piece under the Front of the Car? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:33 AM

What's that Annoying plastic/black piece under the Front of the Car?

Everytime I pull up to a parking spot I hear that thing hit...it's really annoying. It's right under the front spoiler on my R/T road and track. Even worse now the front of it is like hanging off...lol. I guess it got caught on too many parking spots. Anyway, I know a guy with a shop i'll bring it to and have him put it on the lift. But I thought I remember reading where others have removed this piece completely......what exactly is this peace and what is its purpose? I'm thinking I should just remove it completely but I thought I remembered reading that it helps if you run over a puddle of water in the rain or something....it protects the engine or some crap?
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 07:37 AM

Its called a belly pan.

2012 Mustang 3.7 - SRT Killer

1995 Honda Civic - Daily

Last edited by Phanta5m; 09-22-2009 at 12:43 PM. Reason: off-topic
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 AM

Trev,

thanks for the name of that piece. I actually park great, and in 2.5 years haven't gotten a single scratch ANYWHERE on my car...oh boy, I hope I didn't just jinx myself. Actually, part of the problem with that "BELLY PAN" is that it's BELLY is too big, hopefully not like yours.....:P What happens is...since I'm in California...alot of times at night it gets into the 40's. Now get this....I park MANY INCHES AWAY FROM THE PARKING SPOT but what happens is usually when I get home from work/gym, whatever...it's in the 70's, maybe even as high as the 90's. At night it often times drops down to the 30's or 40's. The plastic morphs to some degree because when I park at night I can park close to the parking spot and back up and do it over and over with NO CATCH ON THAT PIECE.

But the very next morning, it'll almost always catch. There isn't a scracth though on my spoiler or front of my car...or anywhere for that matter.

With that being said, is there any reason I couldn't just remove the "belly pan?" Or should I just fasten it back?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:08 AM

A lot of smart asses around here now a days.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Hi betta
2005 Chevy Silverado ext cab reg bed 2wd with a 6" FabTech lift, 20% tint all around with strip on the windshield, Black billet bow tie, black running boards, Spray in bedliner, 20' RockStar rims and 35'-12.5' Toyo open country M/T rubber, and of course ADAMS to keep it shiny
Old 09-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

The belly pan is a part of the structural support of the fascia and fenders but you CAN remove it if you fasten down the fascia with zip ties. Here is a thread with that info. What you are looking for is halfway down the first post.
http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=62948

And Trev. There are a lot of smart asses around here.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:27 AM

Gladiator,

you just Gladiated the info I was looking for man, THANKS! LOL.......as far as the responses go I laughed it off....I park AWAY from everyone which is part of the reason i've been fortunate enough to NOT have any scratches on my car...let's hope that trend continues..lol. The problem is as I said...in my apt. complex parking I can't park TOO FAR OUT from the spot or else i'd be in the drive-way where people pass and someone coming thru drunk would bust the back of my car up....so I park a few inches away from the bumper and when I get home, no problem. But when the weather changes like that, that belly pan plastic morphs and its so damn voluminous it snags.

I thought about parking "backwards" but the spot is so tight and when I get home i'm tired as hell especially if I were out having a few drinks the last thing I want to think about is backing up into a tight ass spot in reverse where I have little room to maneuver.

Anyway, thanks again for the info Gladiator!
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

No problem. I'm pretty much a smart ass myself. That's why I was giving Trev a hard time.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
No problem. I'm pretty much a smart ass myself. That's why I was giving Trev a hard time.
for glandiator

to the OP... yes, the belly pan should stay... that's at least what the SRT engineers stated... it has a purpose, I just can't think of it right now
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

It's probably aerodynamics or protecting the underside of the engine. I wouldn't take it off but you can if you want to and that thread shows how to do it with relative safety. The SRT engineers probably think windows should go down when entering a drive through as well.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.