Starting problems??? - Dodge Charger Forums
Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

#1 Old 08-31-2009, 06:02 PM
06Daytona1173

(Thread Starter)
Starting problems???

I just bought my 06 a week ago....and can't believe I'm having to post a "problem question" already UGGGG!!!

I was sitting with the engine OFF for about 20 minutes listening to the radio. When I went to start the car, it didn't start on the first try. It turned over and everything...all electrical worked etc. I mentioned it to my husband and he said the same thing happened to him the other day....he was sitting waiting for about 20 mins listening to the radio as well. The car only has 32K miles on it. Is this a common problem with chargers or am I unique???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-31-2009, 08:07 PM
LongDriving

Very strange. Might want to have the dealer check it out. I'd be surprised if it's your battery with it only being a few years old...but it might be?

Here's a bump to the top of the list for ya

2006 InfernoRed Charger R/T
HEMI - The Daddy of all Engines

"Some people are like slinkies. They seem worthless but still bring a smile to your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."
#3 Old 08-31-2009, 08:11 PM
wickedchargerrt
Banned User

its probably the battery and its not strange at all.

the starter takes about 400 amps to work , the stereo about 10 . just cause you have a stereo and lights on the dash doesnt mean you can crank over the starter enough. You probably have a low reserve capacity in the battery and listening to the stereo dont help. you have to remember you have a daytona so your running a 30 amp amplifier in that stereo too which does kill reserve capapcity
#4 Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 PM
LongDriving

I knew someone would help
#5 Old 08-31-2009, 08:19 PM
wickedchargerrt
Banned User

its kinda simple math.
say you have a 750 cca battery in the trunk thats low , maybe 600 on average.
you listen to the stereo for twenty minutes running the fcm, acm , and amplifier about 50 amps or so for 20 minutes which drops that 600 down about 580 or so. Then you do it again a week later and its down a bit more. remember your alternator is basically there to run the vehicle accesories itself while the vehicle is running. Its not meant to charge the battery. The battery is nothing but a reserve capacitor. The alternator is where the vehicle gets its power
#6 Old 08-31-2009, 10:32 PM
richd

Car Alternator Importance
A car alternator is responsible for powering a car's accessories--radio, lights, horn--during normal engine operation. The car battery supplies the initial charge that allows the car to be started, and then the alternator takes over the job of supplying a constant electrical feed. In addition, the alternator is responsible for recharging the battery after the battery loses some of its strength from starting the car.
#7 Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 PM
Silver Charger R/T fan

the alternator or battery...

never listen the radio 20 minutes!!! in any car, this is a battery-killer.

if u wanna listen the radio a lot of minutes, buy an optima (gel) battery.

good luck!

2007 Bright Silver Dodge Charger R/T. Sylvania Silverstars, tinted windows, painted calipers (red viper), SRT8 rear spoiler, tires with nitrogen.
2006 Magnesium Dodge Charger 3.5 H.O., Sylvania Silverstars, tires with nitrogen.
and other mopars at the garage!!
#8 Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 AM
06Daytona1173

(Thread Starter)
Great information here....I will start with the battery and see if the problem goes away. It makes allot of sense. Last night I stumbled upon some threads relating to the stalling problems the Chargers seem to be having. I'm praying that doesn't happen to me and that this problem is not related.
#9 Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
rodneyiii

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchargerrt View Post
its kinda simple math.
say you have a 750 cca battery in the trunk thats low , maybe 600 on average.
you listen to the stereo for twenty minutes running the fcm, acm , and amplifier about 50 amps or so for 20 minutes which drops that 600 down about 580 or so. Then you do it again a week later and its down a bit more. remember your alternator is basically there to run the vehicle accesories itself while the vehicle is running. Its not meant to charge the battery. The battery is nothing but a reserve capacitor. The alternator is where the vehicle gets its power
You're describing the battery as an OUT only device where amps only go out but can never go back in. This is simply not the case. See below for the proper explanation of the system. Have you ever seen an ammeter that has + and - on it? This shows you when the current is going out of or INTO the battery (charging).

Quote:
Originally Posted by richd View Post
Car Alternator Importance
A car alternator is responsible for powering a car's accessories--radio, lights, horn--during normal engine operation. The car battery supplies the initial charge that allows the car to be started, and then the alternator takes over the job of supplying a constant electrical feed. In addition, the alternator is responsible for recharging the battery after the battery loses some of its strength from starting the car.

2006 Inferno Red SRT8 with groups I, II, Sunroof, K&N drop-in filter, Auto-dim mirror, Jet-180 T-stat, Predator, 300 SRT struts/springs, Chally SRT wheels.
Born 6-21-06, Home 4-26-10. 1/4 mile - 12.989 @ 108.78 in street trim. Traded 10-19-2012.
2006 Inferno Red R/T with R&T Born 8-12-05, Home 8-25-05, Sold 8-9-10.
#10 Old 09-06-2009, 07:30 PM
06Daytona1173

(Thread Starter)
I think I came to the conclusion that the starting problems were a result of the car needing a tune up. It has 32K miles on it and when I pulled the plugs, they were the original plugs. The car runs like a new car now...and it starts up right away. Thanks for all the great tips...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List