Re-covering sun visors - Dodge Charger Forums
Interior Discussion/Modifications Discussion about modification of the interior of the vehicle. Such as the addition of mp3 players, dash kits, etc.

#1 Old 08-25-2009, 01:27 PM
WestCoastDan

(Thread Starter)
Re-covering sun visors

I'm about neck deep into the headliner and pillar recovering project, so it only makes sense that I start thinking about all of the plastic trim, handles, visors, etc.
I've seen a few cars that chose to leave these parts all alone, but that's simply too easy!

I've disassembled the passenger side visor and determined the method/technique that is most likely to yield positive results with me doing the job myself.

#1 rule is that I do not sew. I am confident however that these can be recovered WITHOUT the need for a sewing machine.

Here's a pic of the visor stripped down to the bones.

The factory didn't sew the covers, and they weren't even glued on.

Basically, the visor is twice as big as it appears. The piece is then folded along the center line and wrapped around the post/shaft. The two 'flaps' of plastic are then melted/glued together. They have a narrow strip along the perimeter that is not glued together & the material is pushed into this 'slot' all the way around the visor. On each 'flap', there are 'teeth' that catch the material as it is pushed in. The finished seam looks factory on my test & it wasn't even glued onto the visor. When I do it, it will get glued and pulled tight to create a clean, finished appearance. hopefully.

In order to take it completely apart, I'd have had to damage it a bit more than I'm comfortable with. I'm not 100% sure how to handle the small rod that clips into the roof catch though. It doesn't seem to come apart as easily as the rest of the visor. I'm thinking I can slit the new fabric and push the edges into the visor the same as the rest of it. We'll see.

I'm going to pick up some black paint for the arms, brackets, handles, etc. & some fabric dye for the fuzzt trim around the doors.

If everything goes well, I should pick up the rest of my materials tomorrow and be finished with the whole thing by next week.
+++
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1903.jpg
Views:	638
Size:	356.9 KB
ID:	48605  

'08 Silver R/T
'05 Tahoe

+++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Mr.Brooks&Angelina

Hmm Can't wait to see the finish product or at least how it comes along. Good Luck with the project, really hope it comes out nice I was thinking of doing the same because only my windshield pillars & ceiling liner are keeping me from an all black interior. I'm going today to check if maybe a dealer might have replacement visors or at least fabric. Can't wait to see the finish product though

........"The most important thing in business is honesty, integrity, hardwork... family... never forgetting where we came from."
.................................................. ...........In the south the breeze blows softer.
#3 Old 08-25-2009, 04:21 PM
WestCoastDan

(Thread Starter)
progress, progress, progress.

Well, I might have been too ill (mod-idis!?) to go to work today, but not too ill to get some progress on this headliner project.

I've disassembled and painted the rear lights & handles, the vanity mirror and the arm and bracket for the visor.

Here's a few pics showing the results. The last one is installed again on the original headliner that I haven't gotten to yet. It should all look real clean agains the black suede!

BTW, I used flat black to minimize the glare, smudges, etc.
+++
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1904.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	48614   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1907.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	351.7 KB
ID:	48615   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1905.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	48616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1906.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	48617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1909.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	48618  

#4 Old 08-26-2009, 01:19 AM
gusgus0513

Send a message via AIM to gusgus0513
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDan View Post
I'm about neck deep into the headliner and pillar recovering project, so it only makes sense that I start thinking about all of the plastic trim, handles, visors, etc.
I've seen a few cars that chose to leave these parts all alone, but that's simply too easy!

I've disassembled the passenger side visor and determined the method/technique that is most likely to yield positive results with me doing the job myself.

#1 rule is that I do not sew. I am confident however that these can be recovered WITHOUT the need for a sewing machine.

Here's a pic of the visor stripped down to the bones.

The factory didn't sew the covers, and they weren't even glued on.

Basically, the visor is twice as big as it appears. The piece is then folded along the center line and wrapped around the post/shaft. The two 'flaps' of plastic are then melted/glued together. They have a narrow strip along the perimeter that is not glued together & the material is pushed into this 'slot' all the way around the visor. On each 'flap', there are 'teeth' that catch the material as it is pushed in. The finished seam looks factory on my test & it wasn't even glued onto the visor. When I do it, it will get glued and pulled tight to create a clean, finished appearance. hopefully.

In order to take it completely apart, I'd have had to damage it a bit more than I'm comfortable with. I'm not 100% sure how to handle the small rod that clips into the roof catch though. It doesn't seem to come apart as easily as the rest of the visor. I'm thinking I can slit the new fabric and push the edges into the visor the same as the rest of it. We'll see.

I'm going to pick up some black paint for the arms, brackets, handles, etc. & some fabric dye for the fuzzt trim around the doors.

If everything goes well, I should pick up the rest of my materials tomorrow and be finished with the whole thing by next week.
+++
i used needle nose plyers to pull that needle and plastic thing out used a screw driver to pry it open a bit to get the liers in. Removed all the fabric with out tearing it at all. hope that helps. was wondering what you were gonna use to glue the new fabric also are you going to ripp the old headliner fabric off or just lay it on top?

2008 Charger Mods: two tone paint black, titanium with a mopar blue pin strip Challenger rt exhaust, kenwood excelone 6x9 and in dash flip dvd, 7inch headrest monitors, 2 jl audio power wedge 12 w3, 500.1 jl amp. 22 inch boss rims, Rear Spoiler, Smoked Taillights, 5% tint all around, white LED's Inside, Chin Spoiler, Flashtech 4 Ring 10K LED Halo's, CAI System Afe Stage 2
#5 Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM
WestCoastDan

(Thread Starter)
I've decided to retain the original material on the sun visors as padding for the new suede. I'm afraid that w/o the padding underneath the suede, it will show the surface contours of the plastic visor a bit too easily.

As far as the headliner goes, I'll definitely leave the original material in place and just cover over it.
+++
#6 Old 08-26-2009, 08:02 PM
SRTOCHO

wrap it in neffy.

#7 Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 PM
0blackonblack6

nice write up so far im in the progress of doing mine in blood red suade i did one pillar last night as a tester to see how hard it would be and it turned out great so ill do the others tonight, im doing the headliner in black suade and then center of the seats in blood red to kinda tie it all together. these visors look like a PITA

275/25/24 nexxens, 24" dynastys, k&n cai, Predator, 5% tint, 2" ram hood, Hids high/lows, system, super 44s flowmaster exhaust
#8 Old 08-26-2009, 11:49 PM
gusgus0513

Send a message via AIM to gusgus0513
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastDan View Post
I've decided to retain the original material on the sun visors as padding for the new suede. I'm afraid that w/o the padding underneath the suede, it will show the surface contours of the plastic visor a bit too easily.

As far as the headliner goes, I'll definitely leave the original material in place and just cover over it.
+++
Ya thought about that but those teeth don't look long enough to hold 2 pieces of fabric. It was pretty tight in there with just the original covering. I see u sprayed your sunglass/light thing how did u take apart the sunglass holder to get a nice even paint?
#9 Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 AM
Fallout

I'm using the Krylon Fusion spray paint but wasn't able to find the flat black. Gloss didn't look too bad, but I may redo it. I only painted the sun visor rods and catch hooks for now to see how it would look, I'll post pics tonight if anyone is interested.

2008 Charger SXT
Interior: Blue LED Lighting, In-Dash Rocker Switches
Exterior: Rear Spoiler, 50-35 Tint, GoRhino Push Bar w/ HD Wrap
Performance: AFE Stage II, DynoMax Dual Exhaust, Predator 93 Tune, Royal Purple
#10 Old 08-27-2009, 08:18 AM
WestCoastDan

(Thread Starter)
let's see if I can 'splain this so's that others can understand what I'm doing....

I agree about the tight fit and the teeth probably not grabbing the second layer of material (the suede).
For starters, my first attempt to disassemble a visor 'popped' a good amount of the glue. Now my visor opens up more than it should. This was an issue that I think I have resolved.
I purchased a few of those aluminum screw posts that hold photo albums together. They are adjustable in length (by adding extenders or purchasing the right length to begin with; I wasn't so lucky) The visor is almost exactly 5/8" thick w/o any covering.

anyway...
I am going to drill 4 holes throught he visor @ strategic locations to avoid the wiring inside and to minimize the gap around the edges. Basically replace the glue with these 'bolts'. The heads are flat and shouldn't show through the fabric.

Next I sprayed adhesive onto the visor and original material. I recovered it but didn't push anything into the slot, instead i cut the extra fabric off.

Now when I wrap the suede over the foam-backed original material, it can be tucked into the slot to catch on the teeth.

There. That's a lotta words w/o any pictures (sorry) so I hope it makes sense.
I should have time to finish the first visor today..

If so, I'll definitely post up a few pics.
+++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Interior Discussion/Modifications

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List