Replacing plugs on 3.5 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:17 PM

Replacing plugs on 3.5

I have to replace the plugs on my car and I believe I have to take the manifold off to get to the left side. Is this correct? Is it just sealed with silicone? What else do I need to remove?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Yes, you have to remove the manifold and it's not an easy task.
Do you have close to 100K miles because they don't need changing at 30K like the Hemi because it has platinums?
Old 08-04-2009, 06:08 AM

No, I only have 51,300, but I have lost a lot of power and there are times where it cranks but won't start right away. Even my owners manual says to change it at 30K. I usually don't listen to the owners manual to the exact point because I feel like they generalize too much.

Do you know of where I can get a repair manual for my car? I have looked everywhere and cannot find one.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM

your manuel doesn not say to change at 30k----thats the hemis....
Old 08-04-2009, 08:30 PM

Thanks for telling me it doesn't say that, but I can tell you. YES IT DOES.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 PM

I'm looking at my manual right now, I know the maintenance schedule top to bottom for a 3.5 and plugs get changed at 100K. If you want to spend the time & money, go right ahead.

PS, you have 51K miles, why didn't you change them at 30K if that's what it says?
Also, the cranking issue you speak of, I have it and other forum members have complained of it.

2006 Dodge Charger 3.5 H.O. Silver Steel Metallic - Predator 89 Tune - Yokohama Avid Envigors on 18" "Wired" Alloy Wheels - K&N Filters - Nokya 7000K Lows & Fogs - Front Lip Spoiler - Kenwood Detachable CD/MP3 - "Old School Charger" B/T Hood Emblem, B/T Shift Plate, Visor Disguisers & Vanity Plates - Demolded & Debadged - Vinyl Charger Decals - Original Owner Since 8/10/2005!

Last edited by soxfan4eva; 08-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:30 PM

well go ahead and change them if you want to... i change plugs prematurly all the time. on our dragsters and track car. sometimes i can let them go about 10 runs on our outlaw cars before we notice and loss of performance..... but streetable daily driven computer controlled cars and etc arent running in the extremes 99& of the time. and honestly since i spray all of my daily driven cars i do tend to change them more than needed as well simply for the piece of mind knowing im getting the best spark possible in order to achieve the best possible combustion of the nitrous and fuel mixture.

but instead of just assuming that you in fact need new plugs, then atleast go out and just pull a few and see what they look like, then reference it description next to any ordinary spark plug chart. well that is if you cant already tell what you motor is doing just by looking at them, the plugs themselves. sometimes they get fouled up and other times they get scorched or the tips get blown off or melted and etc. you can tell just about anything you want to know about your engines perameters just simply by how your plugs look. and to know exactly what you car is doing exactly down to the tee, all you need is a few general things--to knowledge on how to read you plugs and to know what to do based on what they look like, then of course an o2 wideband system, and an egt data aquisition system, and also a data logger than measure most of your paremeters such as a race pak or something similar. anyway, all im saying is, just go out and see what your plugs look like... if they need changing, then swap them out. i doubt they need changing, but what can it hurt right. you might as well upgrade them to while your at it so at least you can have a reason to change them.. i say go for some iridiums.

and yes the upper manifold needs to come off to eacess the other 3, its not that hard to do either. then you'll need a wracheting socket wrench with a spark plug adapter tool and pretty long extension. it should only take you like 30-45 minutes top. and some folks do say to replace the lower boot portions under the coilpacks while your at it since you already in there and to also to use some anti sieze lituim grease packs on the socket threads and also where the boots inner springs touches the tops of the actual plugs under the coilpacks. and dont overtightem them either, the plugs that is, so you wont risk snapping one off down in the block.. wouldnt that be fun trying to get one out and not having it fall down in the actual cylinder tube on top of the pistons and such

and i would first look at your air filter and see if its grimey and dirty. and then run through a good fuel system cleaner as well.. try these first and see what that does for your performance issues... but who knows, it could be your plugs but i doubt it... it would depend on how you drive for one, so just go out pull one and see what it looks like.. or hell just post a pic of it or one and i will tell you whats going on or whats wrong with it. oh and your cranking issues may just be clogged injectors of a bad fuel filter, so maybe even a bad fuel pump or sending unit.. do you ever leave you car just sitting for weeks at a time? if so gas could have gummed up on teh injectors and such.. a good seafoam treatment actually may do your car wonders... and seafoam is the shiznit too son! cleans everything

Last edited by MCB; 08-04-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 06:59 AM

Never leave my car sitting for weeks at a time. I drive 120 miles round trip to work everyday. Thanls for all the great info
Old 08-06-2009, 07:52 PM

dude you need to change them till 100k.. the owners manual says that for the 3.5.. you change the spark plugs for the HEMIS at 30k.. newbies are hard headed..
Mods:24'' rims, 12" Kicker CVX,750 watts x1 kicker amp,20% tint,daytona chin spoiler,sequential lights,Borla Exhaust,K&N CAI, jba headers,smoked taillights,HIDs, 2 9.2'' Headrests,SRT8 hood,GRIP front bumper, SRT rear bumper,Eibach springs,Suede healiner, suede pillars, and red LED halos,2010 tails color matched, keyhole rear camera, KONI STR dampers, slotted drilled rotors, shaved doors
Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 AM

repair manual

I downloaded a repair manual last month (July) from /www.manualnguide.com for a 2006 Charger model. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmissygo@gmail.com View Post
No, I only have 51,300, but I have lost a lot of power and there are times where it cranks but won't start right away. Even my owners manual says to change it at 30K. I usually don't listen to the owners manual to the exact point because I feel like they generalize too much.

Do you know of where I can get a repair manual for my car? I have looked everywhere and cannot find one.

Last edited by archinutz; 08-10-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: wrong year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.