Car got stained by recycled water HELP! - Dodge Charger Forums
Detailing/Washing/Waxing If you would like to discuss keeping your ride looking as good as it did when it rolled off the assembly line, this is the place to do it.
Sponsored by Mothers Polishes

#1 Old 07-23-2009, 07:15 AM
mpattison

(Thread Starter)
Car got stained by recycled water HELP!

I recently left my car in the care of my grandpa...which turned out to be a mistake. He left the car in his drive way, halfway parked in the grass. It got wet from the sprinklers and was very water spottty when I got it back. Some neighborhoods here use "reclaimed water" for their sprinkler systems, which is basically recycled from waste water.

Now I have stains on my car, luckly it looks fine when the car is dry but if you take a damp cloth and wipe the car with it you can see all the water spots that it had when I got it back from him. I notice it mostly when I dry the car after washing it. The spots are on the paint as well as the windows.

Has anybody seen or heard of this before? Any advice on how to get rid of it? I thought about trying a wax or something like that, but I didnt want to just put another layer on top of it and then not be able to get it off later.

Any advice would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-23-2009, 07:26 AM
wrestlingnrj

Send a message via AIM to wrestlingnrj Send a message via Skype™ to wrestlingnrj
Use the Meguiar's clay bar, it should be able to get the spots off.

#1 of 2 Doublemint Twins (according to kstryker) Mods: Plenty w/CMR by Stack Performance
Future Plans: 98-01 Subaru 2.5rs coupe (Coming...Who Knows, the Economy Blows)
#3 Old 07-23-2009, 07:34 AM
infernogirl

Or spritz it with vinegar/water mix and wipe it down. It's just minerals in the water that dried on the car. Don't panic, they will come off!

SOLD2007 Inferno Red R/T, Dynomax exhaust, Reso delete, 4.5" tips, 20% tint, body color cross-hairs and honeycomb grille, R/T grille emblem, 20" Chrome clads wearing 295/40's and 275/40's, MoPower Chin Spoiler, Molding delete, Ram head and CHARGER delete.
'01 Jeep Wrangler Sienna pearl4.0l soft top, 2" lift sitting on 33x12.5x15" GY Duratracs. Custom zebra seat covers, and tons of other little goodies...
'07 Jeep Wrangler Rucicon Flame Red 2.5" Teraflex lift, 315/70/17 Kumho KL71's on KMC Addicts, Flat flares, Mopar offroad bumper and Warn winch awaiting install.
#4 Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Part Deux
Super Moderator

def use the clay bar. Use 1/2 the bar, constantly turning and folding it. If you drop it on the ground, it immediately goes in the trash can!

Put on a good paste wax afterwards.

Did you know that - Thread
How do I everything - Thread

aka THO.R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Stoned Charger View Post
I have a name for the 3 new mods...............Druken Purple Pirates!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona606 View Post
American Muscle, like a pit bull. Big but not large, well defined, explosive power, in it till the end. The cat will give it go and zig and zag, but in the end the pit bull will always catch the cat – the outcome is never good for the cat.
#5 Old 07-23-2009, 10:08 AM
teez52

Watch Junkman's videos in the detailing thread if you have never clayed/polished before. I did mine by hand with Meguiar's clay and professional line of polish/wax and it worked great. If you don't want to do it by hand, get the PC kit from Adams and go to town.

2009 Brilliant Black R/T with R&T Package
Built 12/08, Adopted 4/09
Mods: Mopar CAI, Blinker Mod, EBC Redstuff 3000 Pads
#6 Old 07-24-2009, 04:06 AM
RitzRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingnrj View Post
While this will work, the other suggestion of using vinegar+water to wipe down the car will be a lot easier on the arms and take a lot less time. 'Course if the car needs to be clayed anyway, you can kill 2 birds with one claybar.

Best,

Formerly had 2006 Charger R/T
Cool Vanilla <-- rarest color
Mods So Far: Hood struts, Cabin Air Filter
#7 Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 AM
a14umbra
Super Moderator

Garage
I use DriWash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a14umbra View Post
I just did a little demo for you guys. I put some of my fine mineral intense well water on my car and let it dry to a NASTY waterspot (I apologize to those with weak stomachs).

Gently rubbed on a little DriWash. When I say gentle, I'm talking like washing your windows kind of gentle.

And buffed it off.

"There’s nothing in the rules of building a fuel efficient engine that says it has to suck.”
#8 Old 07-24-2009, 06:11 AM
SVRSRTCDN

This may sound odd, but the easiest way to remove water spots is Turtle Wax Bug and Tar Remover. I have tried all the "products" that "claim" to remove the spots but they don't work so well.

Then I happened to try Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover on my outboard and it removed the water spots in one pass and left an excellent shine (as it waxes when you buff)

So I tried it on my water stained Jeep, it now looks perfect, no marks at all and this was after trying all the so called spot removers. It also works great on removing brake dust off the rims with no side effects and far easier than the products that are sold to do that.

Don't believe me, try it! You will be convinced

I use it on my boat, 4 jetskis and rims on the cars and they all look like new after an application. Also, on the jetskis, no wax I have ever tried has held up as well.

Far cheaper than the specialty products and puts everything from Meguiers in the trash.

Clay bars work, no doubt but its a lot of work. Turtle wax bug and tar remover is non abrasive (never any paint color on the cloth) and so easy to use. Spray on, wipe then let dry and buff.

Returned 2006 Silver SRT8 (vanished into the unknown!)
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2009 Jeep Patriot Rocky Mountain
1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 Spectre
#9 Old 07-24-2009, 07:23 AM
mpattison

(Thread Starter)
Hey Guys, thanks for all the advice. I think I'll start with the vinegar and water mix first and see how that goes. These arn't your average water spots so hopefully it works. The car has been washed several times since this happened and they still show up at the end of the wash when I'm drying the car. Once its dry they fade away. Ill update later if the vinegar does the trick.
#10 Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 AM
Phanta5m
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingnrj View Post
x2... good advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications > Detailing/Washing/Waxing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List