93 octane predator tune tweaks - Dodge Charger Forums
V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

#1 Old 07-18-2009, 07:08 AM
gcarrick

(Thread Starter)
93 octane predator tune tweaks

anyone out there running the 3.5l with CAI and the predator 91 or 93 octane tune? what tweaks might you have done to customize it and tweak performance/reduce knock? been hunting high and low and see very little actual data about the adjustments made.... maybe it is just me.

any advice on this would be appreciated.

06 BB 3.5L Charger, AFE 2 CAI, Predator 91 OCT Custom Tune (DCX Depot), MHP Oil catch can, 71mm Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body .....more pending!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 AM
gcarrick

(Thread Starter)
Ok, so i am reading everything i can get my hands/eyes on and i am seeing a consistent statement that FALSE ST knock (non harmful) is represented by a spike during acceleration followed by a compensating reduction.... and that REAL knock would be represented acrosss the whole RPM range during acceleration...is there any truth to this?

Am i hunting ghosts and trying to make them go away when i see a sudden spike at WOT?
#3 Old 07-21-2009, 10:55 PM
MICS MAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarrick View Post
Ok, so i am reading everything i can get my hands/eyes on and i am seeing a consistent statement that FALSE ST knock (non harmful) is represented by a spike during acceleration followed by a compensating reduction.... and that REAL knock would be represented acrosss the whole RPM range during acceleration...is there any truth to this?

Am i hunting ghosts and trying to make them go away when i see a sudden spike at WOT?
I do believe you may be hunting ghosts. The knock sensors would cut in and reduce your power otherwise.
There is the capability to disable the knock sensor with the predator, not recomemded, but you could listen for knock under heavy load. Set The parking break and put her in drive and give her some tourque. If there is knocking, you'll know.
I run 93 and use Sunoco 94. It works very well for me and Im often surprised when the tires break free leaving a light when you least expect it too, even with the AC on and ESP enabled.
I recently rebooted the computer as it started to get sluggish as it had adapted and it woke the beast back up again. I reloaded the stock tune, started her, she had that old ruff stock idle again. I reloaded the 93 Oct tune and she smoothed right out again. You may need to do this every once in a while too.
My car runs smoother with the predator, has more power and better fuel economy.
Happy tuning my friend.
Mic

07 STEEL BLUE MAGNUM SXT, JBA Headers, RT Exhaust w Magnaflow X, Predator tuner, BT Catch Can, Mopar CAI, Tinted, Custom Cabin Filter, Curt 2" hitch recvr, Pro Series 48x32 Cargo Carrier with Bi-fold ramp, Munroe Shocks, Painted calipers and rotor hubs, Krown rust protection, rebadged w billet SXT/6, Retro Magnum 18" alum rims, Dunlop Signature 225/55s.(daily) 235/55/17 staggered 215/60/17 (for fun).
#4 Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM
yldthng
Supporting Member (Lifetime)

I run a custom 93 tune from Diablo. I don't mess with stuff, but I know it's different than the regular 93 tune that's built into the Predator.

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/yld_thng
#5 Old 07-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Brad SXT

Don't know that real knock would be realized across the entire RPM range, I've done quite a bit of datalogging and really haven't been able to catch any consistent knock retard.

As far as tuning for a cold air intake, you may need to add a bit of fuel as the extra air being sucked in can cause the engine to run slightly lean.

As far as tweaking your 93 octane tune, every time you make a change datalog with Long term (LT) Knock Retard and Short Term (ST) Knock Retard as well as RPM so you know where the problem areas are. I believe that any number of long term knock retard is bad and more than 5 in short term knock retard is bad but I'm not sure of this.

In my experience I've been content at keeping both sensors at 0.
Also in my experience I've found that Shell 93 octane is the best for tuning and allows the most added timing.

08 SXT
Predator. Big Bully. Quantum Blue.
15.477 @ 89.73 mph

The Comprehensive List of V6 Performance Parts

#6 Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 PM
Samoan Tsunami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad SXT View Post
Don't know that real knock would be realized across the entire RPM range, I've done quite a bit of datalogging and really haven't been able to catch any consistent knock retard.

As far as tuning for a cold air intake, you may need to add a bit of fuel as the extra air being sucked in can cause the engine to run slightly lean.

As far as tweaking your 93 octane tune, every time you make a change datalog with Long term (LT) Knock Retard and Short Term (ST) Knock Retard as well as RPM so you know where the problem areas are. I believe that any number of long term knock retard is bad and more than 5 in short term knock retard is bad but I'm not sure of this.

In my experience I've been content at keeping both sensors at 0.
Also in my experience I've found that Shell 93 octane is the best for tuning and allows the most added timing.
theres really not that much "extra air" to where you adding fuel would be an issue. its just an intake, not a supercharger. the cam still has the same lift and timing, the intake ports arent enlarged and most are still running the stock TB. intakes basically smooth out airflow and allow the engine to take the air in with LESS work, thus producing more power. think of sliding on smooth concrete, then putting oil on same concrete. takes less force to pull something across or slide across.

diablo has mentioned that before, which is the reason why the v6's dont have CAI tunes like the v8's do. thats according to them, not i. its also on the diablosport forums on their website. if i remember right, the only mod they've advised adding fuel on was headers... and that was the upper rpm ranges.

before anyone starts tweaking and tuning though, i think its better to suggest that they datalog first, which most here have done, and then see what needs to be added or reduced.

my advice, try the diablo sport forums, sign up overthere, and post away. or email johan.

Why sit around and watch everyone else live YOUR dream?

Last edited by Samoan Tsunami; 08-02-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List