74 hideaway grille? - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:39 PM

74 hideaway grille?

I was wondering if it was possible to have a hideaway grille on a 74 charger its the 318 model and how much work would it be and where i could find one?
or if you could take a 69 or 70 grille and put it on a 74

ive seen a hideaway grill on a 74 before but would it fit right or would you have to tinker with it till it fit snug?

i just need more info about this subject

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 02:05 AM

The hideaway grills came on 71/72 cars,they will fit in the 73/74 bumper but it is vacum oparated so you will need all of the hardware.in fact the bumper will fit also,make sure you get the brackets to. This will pull the bumper in some and give the frontend a cleaner look.You will not have that big gap with the gray rubber filler any more if you go this route.I have a 73 that i'v been thanking of doing this to.The back bumper will benifit from useing 71/72 brackets also it will tuck the bumper into the body for a cleaner look in the back also.I had a buddy that put a whole 71 rear bumper on his 74(brackets,taillights and all)and it looked so much better.This gets rid of that gray rubber filler that gets hard and brakes over the years and gives you a new taillight option also, you can get rid fo the plastic taillights and ues 71/72 tails if you want to,the hard part will be finding a 71/72 with all of the parts you need for this swap,unless you go with YEAR ONE they may have all of it,that's something i don't know. I hope this has helped you out.Good luck with the mod and keep me posted on how it's going.Here are some shots of my 73.
MODS TO THE BLUEKNIGHT,Billet Tec{MOPAR}Nose Badge{Thanks Nick},Dual in dual out Xlerator Performance muffler & 4in' tips ,SRT Rims,Window Tint,MOPAR Performance Windshield Decal,Mopar Overlay On 3rd Brake Light,Thats All 4 Now(Coming Soon-Color Matched & Tinted Tails){Thanks Nick}.Sig by AreTee==Thanks Agian Man You Rock:
Old 07-01-2009, 06:46 AM

He is correct 71/72 had the hideaways. i use to own a 71. as far as i know the hideaways were only one the SE models though.

The bumber does look a ton better when its pulled in like he is talking about and removing the gray rubber.

Best of luck finding one though.... i reared ended a S10 while driving my 71 and had a terriable time finding a bumper with the hideaways, i eventually got lucky and found one on ebay and had it shipped across 7 states or so... kind of expensive for that heavy hunk of metal!

p.s. also being correct about vaccum operation. but the problem with most of th emotors for these headlights was that they would upen... but then you would have to manually close them because the motors never lasted long. this was something else i was never able ot find a reproduction of since it seem that no one likes to make aftermarket MOPAR parts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Exterior Discussion/Modifications

Tags
1974, grille

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.