Warped r1 concept rotors - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:41 PM

Warped r1 concept rotors

I've had them installed for over a year now and for the last 2 weeks I've had brake issues. I took it into Dodge for the 60,000 service and had them check the brakes. I just got a call that the rotors are warped, GREATTT along with the water pump going out, a loose bolt in the rear end causing my ESP light to on and off and my broken sunglass holder which is a couple of pins ($5.00 part) but $175 to install. Almost $1100. for everything and they're not touching the brakes or the sunglass holder. The ESP and sunglass holder aren't covered under the warranty even though I have the "best" warranty. Has anybody else had rotor issues so long after they've been installed?
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2009, 08:27 AM

that doesnt sound good at all! I think I will be staying away from that brand of rotor now.
5% Tint All Around, 22 inch Wingman Chrome Rims!! HID's Flashtech 6000K, Interior LED's, Debadged, Kenwood NAV, Modded Xbox, 400Watt Power Inverter, Black Grille, Honeycomb Grille, AFe Stage 2, Custom Stereo 2 12" Fi SSD Subs, 1200D Sundown Audio Amp
Future Mods -
Pay Mortgage
>> www.freesurveymoney.webs.com <<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2009, 09:27 AM

6 mnths wit R1 rotors and not a lick of trouble. sunglassholdr you can do yourself and the brakes. I assume that you don't have 60,000 on the R1's? Call Steve at R1 Concepts and see what kind of warranty you have on the rotors.

2007 SXT 3.5 V6 Brilliant Black Pearl Jack Sparrow Doesn't Live Here!
SRT Hood w/Scoop |~| Rear Spoiler |~| Smoked Taillights |~| Tinted Windows |~| K&N CAI |~| Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust |~| 20" Torque Thrust M Wheels & 245/45/20 Nitto Invo Tires |~| Blue LED's Under Dash |~| Blue LED's Inside |~| Blue LED Cup Holder Mod |~| 8000k HID - Lo's & Fog's |~| Mopower Deep Dish Grille |~| Mopower Chin Spoiler |~| R1 Slotted/Drilled Rotors |~| Carbon Pads
|~| Flashtech Rear Halos
|~| Hood Scoop LED Lighting |~| Flashtech Blue Head/Fog LED Halo's ~ KSport Springs 1.75 Drop
www.flashtechusa.com
Old 06-24-2009, 09:36 AM

I've had R1Concepts 'premium' rotors on my Daytona for over a year, and no warping. Just remember that many Service Center mechanics will use the 'warped rotor' excuse so they can replace rotors. Many times the problem IS NOT the rotors, just brake pads, or unbalanced or mis-aligned wheels/tires.

I would get a second opinion about those rotors before wasting money on another brand.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymzilla View Post
many Service Center mechanics will use the 'warped rotor' excuse so they can replace rotors
Sounds like you need to find a new mechanic.
Best 0-60 - 5.18
Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 AM

Do your pads slide freely on their clips?

I just recently discovered how badly my caliper brackets were machined from factory, such that the pad ears tend to drag no matter how much lubricant you put on them. I'm thinking this may be a contributing factor to why some Charger owners have so many brake issues and others are fine.

In my case, I had to dremel down the pad ears very carefully to the point where they were snug and secure but move smoothly on the clips. For the first time in 3 years I don't have to fight with crazy pad dust every 2 weeks, although it's likely also going to cost me new rotors in the end.
1978 Pontiac Trans Am
1978 Pontiac Trans Am 4-speed SE
2006 Daytona R/T Tor-Red (59 of 200 - Canadian)
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM

That would be my first thought but he recommended not changing them since I had so much left on my pads.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:36 AM

Hmm, I've had R1 slotted rotors for quite some time and haven't had any issues.

2006 Torred Daytona #524
Installed Mods: Mopower Shaker, Silverstar's Hi/Low/Fogs, Painted Calipers, R1 Slotted Rotors, Half Covers, ZOOMERS!
Quote:
Torque is the low-end muscle that gets you out of the blocks when the light turns green. It's the thrust that squashes you into the seat when you hammer the gas. Torque is good. Torque is your friend.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:32 PM

It suprised me after putting so many miles on them (approx. 12-15K) I would have thought if the rotors were going to get warped it would have been alot sooner.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:49 PM

In 24k miles I've manage to warp 2 sets of front OEM rotors, a set of slotted R1Concepts front rotors, and 2 sets of OEM rear rotors.

I'm now using R1Concepts slotted/drilled rotors all around - Steve warrantied the fronts for me and I bought the rears and new pads.

Mine were warped within about 8-10 months ... I forget exactly ...

'13 Mustang GT Sterling Gray, 6-spd, Recaros, Track Pack. 2.3L Whipple, 560RWHP, 456RWTQ
- ordered 6.6.12, born 7.25.12, mine 8.11.12 -
'08 Mustang GT500 White/blue stripes, 528RWHP, 531RWTQ - girlfriend's car
For Sale >>> - 2010 Focus SE Sangria Red, 4-dr sedan, auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Wheels/Tires/Brakes/Suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.