water pump replacement 6.1 - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Charger Problems/Assistance You having problems with your Charger? Check and see if it is a common problem and get answers here.

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM

water pump replacement 6.1

Hey guys,
Is there a write up on how to replace the water pump? Mine just went out due to the coolant gunk I think. didn't get the coolant gunk till now and I have 62,000 miles on my SRT.

THanks

Charger SRT8 24"x 10"s, lambo doors, k&n cai, magnaflow exhuast, hid headlight & fogs, tinted tails, led interiors, viper 5900 remote start, 22elite leather console,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned User

Its too simple to write up.
remove the lower cover, drain the cooling system, remove the belt, remove the upper radiator hose, remove the upper metal hose, remove the bolts, replace, fill system with new coolant and distilled water done
Old 06-09-2009, 07:15 PM

how do I remove the belt and where is the water pump? I have no idea what it looks like.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to JackassJesse Send a message via MSN to JackassJesse
Quote:
Originally Posted by modesto83 View Post
how do I remove the belt and where is the water pump? I have no idea what it looks like.
Google it????

2008 SXT with; MOPAR CAI, SRT8 Wheels and Exhaust (Reso Delete), Daytona Honeycomb Grille with Script Emblem, Demolded, Turn Key ESP MOD.TRADED IN FOR A...
2007 Black SRT!!!! with; K&N CAI, Yokohama 255/45/20 all around. It's alittle faster.... Added Predator 4/23/10.... Giggity Dyno 4/30/10 400 RWHP!!!
Old 06-09-2009, 07:40 PM

Is this the waterpump?
I did google it trust me. And couldn't find anything specific to the charger, found plenty on the hemi trucks, thats about it. but thanks for your help
Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 AM

HOPE THIS HELPS.W/P REMOVAL.DRAIN COOLANT BEFORE REMOVING
1.Disconnect negative battery cable.2.Drain cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .3.Remove radiator fan assembly (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Engine/FAN, Cooling - Removal) .4.Remove accessory drive belt (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Accessory Drive/BELT, Serpentine - Removal) 5.Remove thermostat (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Engine/THERMOSTAT - Removal)

NOTE: The water pump mounting bolts (2) are different lengths. Note the location of the water pump mounting bolts (2). 6.Remove water pump mounting bolts (2) and remove water pump (1).

RADIATOR FAN REMOVAL
REMOVAL

1.Disconnect negative battery cable.2.Partially drain cooling system (Refer to 07 - Cooling - Standard Procedure) .3.Remove upper radiator hose (3).4.Disconnect cooling fan electrical connector (2).5.Remove cooling fan mounting bolts.6.Remove radiator cooling fan assembly (1) from vehicle.7.Remove fan blade from fan motor.8.Remove fan motor from cooling fan shroud.

BELT REMOAVAL AND ROUTE CHART
5.7L/6.1L

CAUTION: Do not let the tensioner arm snap back to the freearm position, sever damage may occur to the tensioner.
1.Rotate accessory drive belt tensioner (6) counterclockwise until it contacts it's stop. Remove accessory drive belt, then slowly rotate the tensioner into the freearm position.

So the instructions say i have to remove the fan assembly. Seems like you guys said I just had to remove the belt and the pump.

Last edited by modesto83; 06-10-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:10 AM

?

Bringing this back from the dead. So is this pretty easy to do? My pump is leaking coolant around the seal. Anything I should look out for before I swap it out this weekend?

Inferno 06 SRT8 - Options I,II,III - AFE Stg II - 180 deg Motorad - 20% Tint - BT Mopar Hood Emblem - BT Red Anodized Catch Can - Side Moldings Removed - Trunk Debadged - SRT8 Side Badges - Slotted Rotors - Posi Quiets - HID's Lows/Fogs 8000K
Old 10-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Lifetime Supporting Member

One generic tip for removing and reinstalling items that have varying length bolts is this.

Before starting, get a scrap piece of cardboard, or styrofoam. Use a marker to draw a rough outline of the part, putiting small circles for each bolt, number them if you need to. Then, as you remove each blot, push it into the matching hole in the carboard or foam.

This way, come reassembly, theres no doubt about which bolt goes where.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:28 PM

I swapped it out, and yes what GLHS said would help a great deal. What I did is got the new water pump, and everybolt I took off i put it on the new waterpump so I would know where they are to go when installing. I replaced my water pump in about 2 hrs.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to JackassJesse Send a message via MSN to JackassJesse
Why does your water pump need replacing?!?!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > Charger Problems/Assistance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.