Car key replacement - Dodge Charger Forums
Are you interested in the Dodge Challenger? Visit the Challenger Forum @ ChallengerTalk.com for your Dodge Challenger information!
Dodge Charger Forum Header Dodge Charger Header Right

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Dodge Charger Forums > Regional Forums > New England Area

New England Area Maine ,New Hamphshire, Vermont ,Massachusetts ,Rhode Island, Connecticut

ChargerForums.com is the premier Dodge Charger Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Supporting Member (Lifetime)
Lifetime Supporting Member

Car key replacement

Unfortunately one of my car keys went through the wash. Although it needed the cleaning, it is no longer fully functional. Oddly enough, the locking button still functions but unlock does not.

Anyone know a place for replacement keys other than a dealer? or is this the only way to go with programming issues?

input / guidance appreciated

Tom
MODS COMPLETE: AIRAID CAI W/CUSTOM GRAPHICS ON TUBE/BRYLCREME'D/HOOD STRUTS/BILLET TECH EMBLEMS & SHIFTER/CUSTOM SHIRTS FOR CAR SHOWS BY JINA'S EMBROIDERY/22ELITE CONSOLE W/JINA'S EMBROIDERY/REAR FASCIA "GREEN MONSTER" DECAL // FALKEN F452 TIRES ON HELO HE834B RIMS
Member of CF Photoshop/Artist Group!

MCWL AND PROUD OF IT COOKIES AND CHEESY PUFFS NOW REQUIRED AT ALL NEMC M&G'S
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2009, 02:33 PM

I believe you can order a key online, like from ebay, have it cut and there is a way to program it to your car with the other key, If you need the program procedure let me know and I will try to dig it up
07 Plum Crazy Daytona Charger #320 of 1400
04 Dodge Ram Rumble Bee #2331
05 Ram SRT 10 QC Black
Eli
Old 05-16-2009, 02:41 PM

I would try to take it apart and let it dry out first.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy777 View Post
I believe you can order a key online, like from ebay, have it cut and there is a way to program it to your car with the other key, If you need the program procedure let me know and I will try to dig it up
They DIY key programming only works if you have two functional keys already. I got burned by this one, ended up having to buy from dealer and having them program it via StarScan.
2006 Go Man Go Daytona #2441 - 20" American Racing Torq Thurst Wheels, AFE Stage 2 CAI, SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust, Diablo Predator, DIY trunk lid liner, 22elite console cover with embroidery by Jina, visor desguisers by streamlinedesign, glovebox light mod, hood prop mod
1999 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4, 6" Skyjacker suspension lift, 3" PA body lift, 38" SuperSwamper SSR tires, 16"x10" Helo Maxx 6 wheels, nerf bars
2007 Dodge Ram 1500 QuadCab 4x4, stock for now other than nerf bars
Old 05-16-2009, 05:20 PM

My Charger: 2006 RT w/ R&T
If the key still starts the car you can use it and another working key to program an additional key. The OP only indicated that the remote control button isn't working.

I agree about letting it dry out really well first.

How do I.... EVERYTHING!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:03 AM

Everything works EXCEPT for the unlock.

Unlock was getting troublesome before the "cleaning" and I should have tried to replace it but couldnt.

Is here a link for the new key reprogramming steps someone can put up? I will now be searching for a new key.

Thanks for the help
Tom
Old 05-17-2009, 01:45 PM

well this is what I found....on dodgetalk.com
If you have an active fob you can program it like this...

*quoted from the 2001 SLT Owners Manual*

Programming Additional Transmitters
Vehicles will be shipped from the assembly plants with two key fob transmitters programmed only for that vehicle. A total of four fobs can be programmed for your vehicle. Additional fobs can be programmed to your vehicle through the use of a currently programmed fob.

NOTE: When entering program mode useing that fob, all other programmed fobs will be erased and you will have to reprogram them for your vehicle.

Use the following procedure to program additional key fobs.

1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.

2. Fasten your seat belt(Fastening the seatbelt will cancel any chiming that may confuse you during this programming procedure).

3. Place the key into the ignition

4. Turn the ignition to the ON position (Do not start the engine)

5. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on the key fob.

6. After holding the UNLOCK button for four seconds, also press the PANIC button within 6 seconds.

7. Release both buttons and a single chim will be heard. The chime is an indication that you have successfully entered program mode. All fobs that are to be programmed must be done so within 30 seconds of when the chime is heard.

8 Using the fob to be programmed, press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, simultaneously.

9. A single chime will be heard.

10. Within four seconds of hearing the chime, press and release either the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the fob.

11. Repeat steps 8 threw 10 to program up to two additional fobs.

12. Your vehicle will remain in program mode for up to 30 seconds from when the original chime was heard. After 30 seconds, all programmed fobs function normally.

NOTE: If you do not have a programmed transmitter contact your dealership for details.

This info was pulled off of page 18 from my owners manual. Also the dealership charges 100 dollers for a FOB, and 40 dollers to program them.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 PM

My Charger: 2011 Charger R/T Plus AWD
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumcrazy777 View Post
well this is what I found....on dodgetalk.com
If you have an active fob you can program it like this...

*quoted from the 2001 SLT Owners Manual*

Programming Additional Transmitters
Vehicles will be shipped from the assembly plants with two key fob transmitters programmed only for that vehicle. A total of four fobs can be programmed for your vehicle. Additional fobs can be programmed to your vehicle through the use of a currently programmed fob.

NOTE: When entering program mode useing that fob, all other programmed fobs will be erased and you will have to reprogram them for your vehicle.

Use the following procedure to program additional key fobs.

1. Enter your vehicle and close all doors.

2. Fasten your seat belt(Fastening the seatbelt will cancel any chiming that may confuse you during this programming procedure).

3. Place the key into the ignition

4. Turn the ignition to the ON position (Do not start the engine)

5. Press and hold the UNLOCK button on the key fob.

6. After holding the UNLOCK button for four seconds, also press the PANIC button within 6 seconds.

7. Release both buttons and a single chim will be heard. The chime is an indication that you have successfully entered program mode. All fobs that are to be programmed must be done so within 30 seconds of when the chime is heard.

8 Using the fob to be programmed, press and release both the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, simultaneously.

9. A single chime will be heard.

10. Within four seconds of hearing the chime, press and release either the LOCK or UNLOCK button on the fob.

11. Repeat steps 8 threw 10 to program up to two additional fobs.

12. Your vehicle will remain in program mode for up to 30 seconds from when the original chime was heard. After 30 seconds, all programmed fobs function normally.

NOTE: If you do not have a programmed transmitter contact your dealership for details.

This info was pulled off of page 18 from my owners manual. Also the dealership charges 100 dollers for a FOB, and 40 dollers to program them.
That's a procedure for programming seperate RKE fobs, does not apply to these cars.
2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline-5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red- Gone-5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Last edited by GLHS837; 08-25-2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: Sorry, but this procedure is ONLY for Sentry keys, not the fobs, themselves, so I removed it to stop anyone from doing this.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 PM

This wont work on the 08 because you cant push the panic button while in ignition.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 PM

Tom, I replaced my OEM key fobs with a replacement transponder key after adding a remote start system. I don't know if this would help but it's an option: http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...d.php?t=109510 I'll show the "key" when we're at Mark's on the 14th (and bring some sub nubs, too!).

Mods: Yokohama TRZs, McGards, De-Molded/De-Badged, CompuSTAR Remote Start, Bob's 6db GPSSR, SRT Spoiler, Honeycomb Inserts, Danko Chin, BT Shifter Plate, OE Fogs and Hood Struts, Cabin Air-Filter, CCD back-up camera w/ trunk lock mod, Sylvania Silverstars.
Tunes: Kenwood DNX6140 & Amps, Polk MM691s, BA G310-4 Subs & Zenclosure Box, mini-B for wifi downloading.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Regional Forums > New England Area

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.