Changing spark plugs on a v6 - Dodge Charger Forums
V6 Specific Discussion This area is for discussion about V6 powered Dodge Chargers.

#1 Old 02-28-2009, 02:49 PM
KSMIKE

(Thread Starter)
Changing spark plugs on a v6

I want to change my plugs myself to save a few dollars. Changing the plugs seems easy enough, the part that I'm worried about is taking off the manifold. My experience working on cars is pretty low. I can change oil, but choose not to. So, how hard is this going to be? Are there any pictorials? Is taking off the intake manifold as easy to do as taking out the bolts, or is there more to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-28-2009, 04:46 PM
meglioed

Use the search feature. Someone here has explained this in detail.

2006 R/T....Ram Air Hood...CAI..Dynomax Mufflers..Flashpaq..180 Tstat...FlashTech Amber Halo's. Royal Purple. Traded.

2011 Jeep Wrangler....mods to come. Traded.
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, Track Pack, 6 Speed Manual, 3.92 rear gear, 20's polished, Leather....
#3 Old 02-28-2009, 05:54 PM
bpg710

Question, do the 3.5 guys need to worry about replacing their factory spark plugs? When I first got my charger that's one of the first things I researched, but read how the oem plugs don't need changing till 100,000 miles, but the 2.7 and hemi's need to be changed sooner. Will changing the plugs make that much of a difference in performance? My car is reaching 25,000 miles.

2007 Dodge Charger SXT
Performance Mods: K&N CAI, Modern Muscle Ported Throttle Body, JBA Shorty Headers, Dynomax Ultra Flo Cat-back (Single-Exit) Exhaust, PredatorCharged!!! - 89 Octane Canned Tune w/ 89 octane + ACES IV, Mobil 1 Motor Oil & QuantumBlue Gold HP Coolant. Exterior Mods: Window Tint (35% fronts, 20% backs), Rally Stripes, Daytona Style Rocker Panel Stripes w/ Honeycomb Mesh Grille.
#4 Old 02-28-2009, 06:06 PM
CHARGERTREV

You have 100,000 miles on it?

2007 Charger - SOLD

2012 Mustang - Current

1995 Honda Civic - Daily
#5 Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 PM
KSMIKE

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGERTREV View Post
You have 100,000 miles on it?
Coming up on 60,000 soon. It doesn't have the power that I learned to love anymore. I ran fuel injector cleaner through the last tank, and will probably do it again the next time I fuel up. Wanted to change the sparks also hoping it helps the issue.
#6 Old 02-28-2009, 11:13 PM
CHARGERTREV

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMIKE View Post
Coming up on 60,000 soon. It doesn't have the power that I learned to love anymore. I ran fuel injector cleaner through the last tank, and will probably do it again the next time I fuel up. Wanted to change the sparks also hoping it helps the issue.
The plugs are rated for 100K(you DO have the 3.5...correct). Try a throttle recalibration before you pull the plugs.
#7 Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 AM
msierra519

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSMIKE View Post
also disconnect the battery and reset the computer..a quick way of giving it that new car boost
#8 Old 03-01-2009, 12:41 AM
DaBlackPearl

Time for the o'l pull the fuse mod???...what was it # 11 or something..

2007 SXT 3.5 V6 Brilliant Black Pearl Jack Sparrow Doesn't Live Here!
SRT Hood w/Scoop |~| Rear Spoiler |~| Smoked Taillights |~| Tinted Windows |~| K&N CAI |~| Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust |~| 20" Torque Thrust M Wheels & 245/45/20 Nitto Invo Tires |~| Blue LED's Under Dash |~| Blue LED's Inside |~| Blue LED Cup Holder Mod |~| 8000k HID - Lo's & Fog's |~| Mopower Deep Dish Grille |~| Mopower Chin Spoiler |~| R1 Slotted/Drilled Rotors |~| Carbon Pads
|~| Flashtech Rear Halos
|~| Hood Scoop LED Lighting |~| Flashtech Blue Head/Fog LED Halo's ~ KSport Springs 1.75 Drop
www.flashtechusa.com
#9 Old 03-01-2009, 06:54 AM
meglioed

Yeah the 3.5 needs re-plugging at 100,000 because they have platinum plugs. Reason is because you have to remove the plenum to get to the 3 on the passenger side. I know on the HEMI's they are a lot easier to get to so those have copper plugs. 2.7 I think are the same, easier to get to.
#10 Old 03-01-2009, 05:51 PM
KSMIKE

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARGERTREV View Post
The plugs are rated for 100K(you DO have the 3.5...correct). Try a throttle recalibration before you pull the plugs.

Ok, did the throttle recalibration today, and it seems like it helped. At least on city streets and the short stretch of highway I got on today. Going to wait until rush hour traffic tomorrow morning to reserve final judgement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > V6 Specific Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List