Charger Forums banner

Help, Key will not turn, broken ignition switch

8K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Surfcharger 
#1 ·
So it seems bad luck is haunting me. Just got my car back from the auto body place repairing two separate fender benders (unrelated to problem), looks great. I go to play soccer with some buddies and roll my ankle real bad. I can't put weight on it so I ask my friend to bring my car closer to me. After he does so, when I get in the car I notice the lights for the stereo and a/c controls are not on. I turn off the car as I usually would and a broken plastic piece falls out of the ignition switch. I go to turn the key back on and the key will not turn. I had to call AAA to get my car towed back to my place because I can't turn the key to start it.

I suspect when my friend tried to start the car he forced the key and broke the plastic piece (if you look at image 1 it looks like what broke is the plastic at the 1:00 location of the circle where the key goes).

Sorry for the long story, but my question to you guys is, do you know what the part is called or part number is to replace the ignition switch? Is this something that can be DIY or should I go to the dealer? I have a 2010 with the square plastic key (image 2).

I tried searching around to find a thread on replacing the part the key goes into and could not find one so I started a new thread.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
wait, so maybe I've never known this, but you're telling me if you just push and hold the receiver like the guy does in the video the car turns on? I've always turned the key to turn the car on?

Btw, for those reading I pulled out the whole ignition its all one piece. The part number I found on the side is 68064789ad. Does anyone know if I need this specific part or I can use any Chrysler ignition? They all look the same but I'm assuming I can't use any because there's a chip in the key that the ignition must recognize.

#4 ·
If your car had push start like the car in the video than it should work
I can't try it because I have the regular metal key type otherwise I would have tried it
Nice feature but why did they have to make it out of plastic you know eventually the plastic will break
It probably is better to have push start with these plastic parts that way it's less likely it will break when you push compared to turning it

As far as the part not only is it made of plastic it's quite expensive too I saw one place at $289
You could ask the dealer to make sure but I am guessing you should be able to buy any part and than the dealer would have to program it to match your key or program the key to match the part

#5 ·
There is a TSB out for this issue. I have one out for my car as well, and I try to be as gentle as I possibly can with the ignition. The parts are not readily available and I don't think they ever will be. As for the push-button thing, that only works if the car actually HAS push to start. I'm sure you can find a replacement piece for the ignition online though.

#6 ·
Here is a link to ebay that contains your part number 68064789ad if that is the broken part
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Chrysle...NEW-/281253963798?hash=item417c0ae816&vxp=mtr

They claim that they can code the key to your vin so theoretically all you have to do is just replace it
But as I said it's on the expensive side but than again if you go to the dealer it might be the same or more

A better idea would be to replace the whole thing so it will work with the metal key that way you won't have any more problems with broken plastic pieces but I am not sure if it can be converted back to that system

#7 ·
It's funny you point that seller out. I found videos of his on YouTube and noticed he specialized in Chrysler WINs (Wireless Ignition Nodes). I was able to get a hold of him and send off my WIN and FOBIK (the plastic key) today. He services chrysler's ignitions frequently and had great feedback from his customers so I thought I'd give him a shot. He charges $250 to service any Chrysler WIN and he includes a new programmed FOBIK, so I'll have 2 keys now.

Thanks for your help with everything, I'll let you all know if his service works out for me. Sure hope it does.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.