Charger Forums banner

2011 or 2012 Charger RT?

10K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Wingsy 
#1 · (Edited)
I own a 2011 5.0 Mustang with the brembo package. The car is fast, handles like a dream, and is a lot of fun to drive. However, the downsides to the car are really getting to me:
1. Bumpy as hell on bad roads at any speed.
2. Interior is cramped and not very well layed out.
3. I can't fit any cargo nor can I fit my friends into the car.
4. Having the fastest car around has been awesome and while I don't think I could go back to driving a slow car but it's not the end all be all. No mater how fast you want to drive around here you run into a wall of cars and the mustang sucks for creeping along.

I got the car to have some fun and do some long distance driving around(camping and the alike) but I've found it's very unsuited for long periods of driving. It's like a sports bike that's fun on the twisties but you wouldn't want to take it on a long trip. Oh and ford snyc is utter garbage.

A couple of weeks ago I rented a v6 2011 charger while getting some warranty work done on my mustang. Talk about a conformable car. Well laid out, very spacious, tons of room and still very aggressive looking. The interior made the mustang's seem like a bad joke. Of course being a V6 it has slightly more power than a lame horse.

I've resolved to go test drive a Charger RT but I got to wondering about the 2012s. Would it be worth it to order a 2012 or just pickup a 2011 off the lot? Do I need the road and track package to still have that fast car feel? Does adaptive cruse control work well? What about the Super Track Pak? Would I be able to get really good handling and a comfortable ride with the "THREE MODE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL" that comes with the Super Track Pak? Do the optional 20in tires impair handling? How's the sound system?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you're interested in the sound system, you might want to hold out for the 2012 SRT. :lol:

I don't know if there are any major changes in store for the 2012 that aren't available on the 2011. I would say that if you find an '11 on the lot that grabs your fancy, buy it.

#3 ·
2012 RT has paddles on it. Im not sure about anything else on the RT besides that. the V6 has the 8 speed.

#5 · (Edited)
I own a 2011 5.0 Mustang with the brembo package. The car is fast, handles like a dream, and is a lot of fun to drive. However, the downsides to the car are really getting to me:
1. Bumpy as hell on bad roads at any speed.
2. Interior is cramped and not very well layed out.
3. I can't fit any cargo nor can I fit my friends into the car.
4. Having the fastest car around has been awesome and while I don't think I could go back to driving a slow car it's the end all be all. No mater how fast you want to drive around here you run into a wall of cars and the mustang sucks for creeping along.

I got the car to have some fun and do some long distance driving around(camping and the alike) but I've found it's very unsuited for long periods of driving. It's like a sports bike that's fun on the twisties but you wouldn't want to take it on a long trip. Oh and ford snyc is utter garbage.

A couple of weeks ago I rented a v6 2011 charger while getting some warranty work done on my mustang. Talk about a conformable car. Well laid out, very spacious, tons of room and still very aggressive looking. The interior made the mustang's seem like a bad joke. Of course being a V6 it has slightly more power than a lame horse.

I've resolved to go test drive a Charger RT but I got to wondering about the 2012s. Would it be worth it to order a 2012 or just pickup a 2011 off the lot? Do I need the road and track package to still have that fast car feel? Does adaptive cruse control work well? What about the Super Track Pak? Would I be able to get really good handling and a comfortable ride with the "THREE MODE ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL" that comes with the Super Track Pak? Do the optional 20in tires impair handling? How's the sound system?
If your looking for a confortable ride in a 2011 r/t you wont be dissapointed, I test drove an r/t max and road and track both handled well and the ride was balanced nicely between firm and smooth. Im pretty sure all r/ts RWD come with the same "performance suspension" while the super track pack gives you upgraded and stiffer springs, shocks, and sways. So if you are looking for handling the super track pack is best way to go, although i can assume the ride will be much stiffer. Now the road and track and all wheel drive comes with the 3.06 gears vs. the 2.65 that are in the other r/ts. From take off i notice a nice throwback feeling in the 3.06 gearing and its noticebly quicker then the 2.65 but both r/ts are beasts. The 20 inch rims will only help your handling vs smaller wheels. The 3 mode stabilty control allows you to turn off traction completly for a good smoke show. 2012's get paddle shifting and the road and track gets bolstered seats as well. If those things are not important to you i would pick up an 11. I hope this helps :beerchug:

#6 ·
You will get the 11 R/T for less than the 12 R/T ,or you could get the 2012 srt8 ( over priced in my opinion ) either way you will be happy.

#7 · (Edited)
I just took delivery of a 2012 Mustang GT and after driving it for a week, I have to agree with your assessment of it. I like that it's very fast, handles great, and has better steering feel and is more communicative than the LX cars, but it has a lot of negatives too. The Mustang's ride can be punishing over rough roads, there's a lot of road noise, there's not a lot of room in the cabin (especially the back seat), the trunk isn't huge, I don't like the numerous and tiny audio and HVAC controls, and SYNC usually doesn't work. Also, traffic stinks in any car, but especially with V8 cars that want to run, like the Mustang and Charger. Although the Charger isn't quite the performer that the Mustang is, I do think it's the better car, day in and day out, and fewer corners seem to have been cut.

The new Charger is great and was in my top three choices for a daily driver. (I chose the Mustang because it was easier to park and different from my Challenger.) I would highly recommend the R/T Road and Track with the Super Track Pak. That will give you the best performance outside the SRT and won't break the bank. I always order my cars to get exactly what I want and so that it's not sitting on the lot, so I'd personally now opt for a 2012. In addition to these benefits, the 2012 will have more bugs worked out and I think the on board computer display is now in color.

#8 ·
I would suggest getting a '12. I would suggest the SRT so performance wise it won't seem like a drop. Be sure to test drive the r&t with and without stp, max and SRT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.