Charger Forums banner

"Battery Saver Mode"...???

76K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  cincinnatiman 
#1 ·
At least a week ago I noticed this email like icon on the information display. I thought it had to do with the Bluetooth or something. I finally figured out it was a message that reads "Battery Saver Mode".

It will not clear, been on constantly at least a week and a few hundred miles - no symptoms. Battery seems strong...cranks right up even when 30 degrees...

Ill show the dealer soon when I get the two new front wheels.....any hints as to what this is?? One of the few things these cars seem to lack is an ammeter...:(

#2 · (Edited)
I was going to post this same subject. It's been 0-10 degrees for a few days and I have been using the remote start more. Like you the one day I had a message and sure enough it was the battery saver mode. I did just get the message once this was 2 nights ago. I did not get it today. My guess is its just minimizing power so the battery can recharge quicker with the alternator due to extra drain on the battery. Just taking a guess here

I have a 2013 AWD RT

#3 ·
lg, I'm betting that this is some fancy computer controlled setting that is glitchy...

Think about it....370 hp and Dodge couldn't simply put a bigger alternator on the car??

But I have been using the remote start a lot. And on another forum I noticed folks tying the remote start to this message. I'll not use the remote a few days and see if it clears.....

#4 · (Edited)
The message is due to low battery voltage. The link to remote start seems coincindental since it's usually only employed in very cold weather.

The root cause appears to be a bad alternator (factory defective) that isn't charging the system properly. Several have fried and at least one customer had it catch fire.

The system is designed to reserve enough power to start the vehicle and doesn't let you run the ancillary systems and draw the voltage down below an acceptable "start" charge. The issue appears to be that the system isn't recharging the battery enough and the "battery saver" program is kicking in.

Now that it's cold enough to expose this issue, expect a TSB from Chrysler soon.

#7 ·
Several have fried and at least one customer had it catch fire.
Now does this make the car more "interesting" to drive knowing it may spontaneously combust on you?:confused:

But on a more serious note..... this battery saver mode is this only on the new chargers or do the older styles have it also?

#5 ·
DDaddy that makes sense....

Now that you explain it that way, it does seem like sometimes the seat heaters are very slow to work and other times they fire right up......that could be the system activating....

I will be at the dealer in a few days anyway getting 2 new wheels, they can check the alt.

thanks much

#22 ·
i have 2014 dodge charger police intercper, started with odd error would not shift out first grear, and trasmssion error light on dash, befor i ran to think was trasmission, started trace back to battery, throw would start with out a probem, that if battery drop below a targeted voltage wile starting there computers wont start, now awd system says low voltage happens when starting, quistion now is what heak, well guss what car was made 3 months after recall on ault, so even throw this has same ault was recall my car never put on recall, how i figger out was ault coil on top side was burn, meens got very hot, and as these works in 3 phase, to be able put all these phases togather just one pice could alow ault to work but when calls for more power just not there, another probem i found this car is only have one neg wire only boded to car once, got ask what they was thinking by doing this, as wireing for bout hot and neg should go to motor, should not depend on frame, as do to rezistace is not same as if was carry over copper cable, so i see this cauesing probems for all cars the basics of wireing was done cheep way out, this will cause a probem throw out the hole car, any one put a scope on this ack look at wave form there ack noise on line even if car is off some devies still work, and even throw my car has under 54k miles becuase state had it they total it for one reason main wireing harness going throw center car was cut i just replaced it, hot wire in my openion is not heavy enouf to hadle 240 amps, the neg wire is not heavy enouf to handle this kind power so what hell they thinking

#8 ·
Yikes! Looks like I might be taking her in to get a new alternator. Thanks for the posts and info.

#9 ·
OLder Gens don't have this option......

#11 ·
If Dodge had put an ammeter gauge in I would have known from the start what was going on....one of the few deficiencies I have found in the Charger.

But then I am a 56 year old engineer, my daughter wouldn't have a clue what an AMP is anyway so I guess it is a good idea.

Problem is, with cars, computers, everything......the more "idiot proof" they are made,..... the more "idiots" we are raising.....people can get through life understanding less and less about the world......

....I hire new college grads and most are engineers so they are ok. But you can get a business or accounting grad with a 4.0 GPA and ask them to hand you a cresent wrench and they give you the channel-locks. They get a flat, they are clueless and simply call dad......

#12 ·
Agreed, need at least on course in mechanics...(this is a flathead screwdriver, this is a phillipshead....etc..;))..I just use my volt meter in the evic to check charging voltage...

#16 ·
Took my charger out for the third time since I've owned it and at 191 miles the battery saver mode message came up. Disappointing.

My selling dealer has not seen any other instances of this message and asked me to double check what it said. It'll be going in to be diagnosed this week.

#17 ·
I have started seeing the same issue on my 2011 Charger.
I am in TX and its very hot right now.
I am only seeing this when using remote start and it does not happen each time. Whenever the message shows up, turning the car off and on right away makes it go away.

I have started it up many times manually and this message has not shown up.
When using remote start it shows up about 1 out of 4 times but there are no issues with starting though.

I took it to AutoZone and O'Rielly and they both ran the Starter and Charging System tests - Alternator, Battery and Starter all passed.

I am dreading taking the car to the dealer but I am at 34K miles so if there is an issue I want it fixed before the warranty is up. Seems like a computer or a remote start glitch...

#18 ·
I just got the "battery saver mode" message tonite. I will take it in the coming week.....bummer. If it is the alternator, I am going to have the parts guys get me the police alternator...I think it is 220 amps.

#20 ·
Yup, funny how they make the base models expandable with Bluetooth and heated seats etc and yet it can't even run everything it is designed to. Mine died and put a 180amp alternator in it. Problem solved. I don't have remote start and the battery saver mode message would come on 3/5 times a few minutes after starting it and the rest after I had been driving for about 10minutes. Center console would shut down, heat and ac stopped working. Parking it at home until it was fixed.

#21 ·
Mine just came up with that Battery Saver mode in my 2012 Charger with 78,837 miles on it. Its been close to 100 degrees here in Alabama this whole summer and I have been running the ac between 5 and 7 and turned off the DRL's. It happened when I was sitting idle waiting to pick up my son from school. Still have not taken it in for the alternator recall, but I found the notice and most likely will try to take it in sometime next week. Code went away on next restart. Hoping its not going to be too much of an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.