Charger Forums banner

BBK Shorty Headers ,

17K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  hothouse 
#1 · (Edited)
Today i will order BBK shorty Headers , Ceramic ,

1) any ideas of the quality? ,

2) i will feel a much defference in the HP and Torque?

3) i am with magnaflow cat back only , it will fit the exhaust without custom mid pipe? with the original one

Thanx

#2 ·
I was looking at these myself. They are about $100 cheaper than the JBAs and I'm interested as to the difference, if any between the two. Did you install them?

#3 ·
Got mine in today and took some pics, quality looks great and my exhaust guy said they are a good product and for 299.00 with free shipping should be jumped on. His words not mine. But so far Im impressed.

#4 ·
Sweet! Show us the pics :) How's the performance/sound change?

#5 ·
they are not installed yet. Probably later this week

#8 ·
#9 ·
Best of luck on the install. Very interested to see/hear results!

#11 ·
Won't know about fit Im having a shop do it but I will ask them.

#12 ·
Mind if I ask what they are charging you? Quotes around here are $500. I've talked to several different people who say the easiest way to install them is to pull the heads. No way somebody's pulling heads off my motor with 5k miles on it to install headers. If seals are getting broken, I might as well install a cam and do head work.....

#13 ·
I literally jus ordered some headers,was going to order the BBK ceramic coated headers but ended up ordering the jba because of thicker flange and talking to summit racing realized BBK headers are steel ceramic coated and will be cooler but won't last as long because of the jba bein stainless. Not sure if this is 100% true but I believed it haha.
Btw jus ordered some Flowmaster 10 series mufflers to replace these super 40s!!

#24 ·
My next set of headers will be made of steel..NOT stainless. My last 3 sets of stainless headers have cracked. I have a set of JBA's on my Dakota R/T right now and they are cracked so bad I believe I could rip them apart with my bare hands if I unbolted took them off the truck and just started pulling on the tubes with my hands. It sounds like a demolition derby car with the busted exhaust piffing on every exhaust stroke. I paid over $500.00 for the JBA's with the Y-pipe that connects the headers to the cat.

I've concluded the stainless headers fail due to the stress induced into the metal at the welds. Any attempt to fix the cracks is short lived.

Buy mild steel headers that are ceramic coated and save yourself some trouble and money.

#14 ·
The charge is 375 plus tax plus 400 installed for the high flow mids which includes the cost of the mids as well the install cost. Heads do not need to be pulled to install, what sense does that make anyway? The header bolts to the heads from the outside.

#15 ·
That sounds reasonable. Stu at Inertia and Brandon at MarylandSpeed both said pulling the heads is the easiest way. I know there are some motor mounts which block the bolts, but I would never pull a head to install a header unless I was already doing head work. I think I'm going with the Kooks LTs, but still undecided.

#16 ·
So Iguess for the cost of my headers 299.00, 375 for header install, 400 for mids=1074 total. When you figure mids cost more than 400 just for the mids not counting install it isn't bad. Im getting them on tomorrow.

#17 ·
#19 ·
looks like the same clip to me. Either way, she sounds good.

#22 ·
#23 ·
I did JBA Shorties, had a minor fitment issue, had to drill a hole bigger.

4 hour install on a lift, no need to pull heads or motor mounts. It was a PITA.

More power, quieter, smoother sound.

I wasn't super pleased with the JBA quality.

#25 ·
Well my exhaust guy loves BBKs and he said they are easier to install than JBA. There were no major problems with install according to him they bolted right up. The car sounds good and runs good.

#26 ·
I may give the BBK's a try. I'll have to confirm what someone said about the flange thickness though. That's assuming they make headers for my truck. The 2 most reputable companies have let me down (Gibson and JBA).

It really doesn't matter that stainless headers won't rust out in a life time if they crack and fall apart in 12 months.

#30 ·
I agree. A 7 second car probably gets rebuilt at least once a year if not more. I men my friends 68 charger that is strictly a drag car that runs in the 8's gets rebuilt once every 6 to 9 months depending on certain factors. So comparing street headers to drag headers is not a good comparison. I think personal street experience is a better comparison.

#31 ·
Thanks Jonny we would be lost without your Thermo Scientific Niton XL2 analyzer.

#33 ·
You have no idea how handy they are. Way better'n nitric acid.

Seriously though, many manufacturers of performance products are pretty clueless as far as material applications.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.