Charger Forums banner

Slotted rotors and brake pads

7K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Krazy Charger2 
#1 ·
hey guys its time to upgrade the brakes on my Daytona it has the original rotors. So Im just going to upgrade to slotted rotors. If you guys can give me some input on this that would be awesome

#3 ·
If you really want slotted rotors the R1 concepts premium slotted rotors are nice and they have good guys with good support working there. I had them but ended up going back to smooth rotors after a few years since (1) they're harder to get machined if you notice steering wheel shudder on braking, (2) they didn't seem to provide any improvement in braking, and (3) they were a bit noisier than smooth rotors. They do look nice, but that's about all. If you're considering it a performance improvement, I don't think you're going to see any.

#4 · (Edited)
I noticed a huge difference stopping my big booty girl. I did the r1 slotted/drilled, hawk ceramic pads and stop tech braided brake lines. These upgrades gave quite a bit more bite especially in emergency situations. With the smooth rotors i just felt like i got no response over 90mph. It was worse at 130mph. I guess it depends on your driving style and needs. They are a lot noisier and youll have to get used to the grind feeling they have under hard braking as they age, but I drive it like i stole it !

#7 ·
I would imagine that the noticeable difference was more due to the Hawk pads more than the rotors/brake lines. You went from a standard "lowest bidder" pad to a high performance friction pad so that's probably more of what you noticed. I got a huge upgrade just from going to the EBC Redstuff pads.

IIRC where you'll notice the impact of your slotted/cross drilled rotors is over the distance of a stop with less brake fade due to the fact that the friction material that wears away will be cleared out quicker through the slots/holes in the rotor. Cross drills are used a lot in ATV's and off road racing because of all the dirt/mud buildup on the brakes, it allows somewhere for that to go so you have a clean contact surface.

As for the OP's question regarding who to buy your rotors from, I've heard a lot of good stuff about R1 Concepts here and my buddy uses EBC rotors on his car and those are pretty nice too.

#5 ·
Slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads work really nice. I've used them on all my trucks when the time was due and they always made a nice improvement.

#24 ·
How do the $100 per set (front or back pads) Hawks compare on your SRT8 to the $400 per set original Brembo pads? :beerchug:

#6 ·
I upgraded to slotted/drilled + ceremic pads. They work well at all speeds, but you have to get used to the "gearing down" sound they make when they heat up a little. I got mine from these people for a decent price. They've held up well so far, but I do have concerns that one of the rotors could possibly be out of round (can't be sure) due to some vibration that only occurs once in a great while after using the brakes a lot. I'm guessing the Pep Boys ceramics aren't holding up well, so make sure you get good pads.

#9 ·
Actually i didnt have the "standard lowest bidder pads "...i changed my stockers 2days after buying my car 4 years ago. I had been using red stuff with stock rotors. My upgrade was a totally different feel. I actually felt like i could stop a lot faster in an emergency. Not so sure it was the pads so much as the braided lines and rotors. Im going back to the red stuff this next time, to see if they feel better with the d/s rotors and stop tech braided lines.
Hmm...Thats interesting. I had guessed that you swapped it all at once, thus noticing the big upgrade.

I guess using my same logic, the slots will help clear away the friction wear material (not to mention the gasses that build up during heavy braking) quicker so it could see a gain. I guess I just never thought the rotors would make that much of a deal when compared to pads.

#17 ·
To answer the original question, I got a Wilwood kit and really like the look. As for performance, no more shaking at high speed braking. However, I have noticed they don't do nearly as well in the rain. Maybe I still have some air in the system but I doubt it. It brakes quiet at all speeds, no noise like some of the others mentioned.

If you have the cash I recommend them. :bigthumb:

#19 ·
I just ordered me some drilled and slotted rotors from Breakperformance.com i read a lot of their Customer Testimonials and i didnt see a single bad on and for the price i figured why not plus they come with free pads so we shall see plus they had free shipping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.