Charger Forums banner
3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  andreim 
#1 ·
So, I have had my 2014 Charger for almost two years now in NY and my one regret is that I do not own a garage as this city is a lightning rod for car damage. I have several scratches (a couple rather deep ones) on the exterior of the car that I got an estimate of around $400 to fix, and it did not include all of the scratches (even the tiny ones that really bother me).

I'm a DIY type of guy so I purchased a touch up paint repair kit online for about $35 on amazon. They sent me a package with little baggies of the following: scratch filler, surface cleaner, clear coat, and two jars of paint. I have never fixed a paint scratch before and have tried to find as many videos about the process as possible so I have an idea of how to fix these scratches.

ScratchWizard (the people who made the paint) has some really short videos about the process but none of their videos mention two jars of paint or my particular paint color, 2014 Dodge Charger Phantom Black Pearl Tricoat. I assume I need to put on a base coat, a second coat, then a third coat since its “tri”coat paint. But it’s not clear which of the 2 paint jars would be the base coat or whether I should let the base coat dry then apply the second coat. Also, I’m assuming the clear coat is last, which could be completely wrong in this crazy world.

Any suggestions from someone who attempted this type of job?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a chance, jump on Youtube and do a search for ChrisFix scratch:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chrisfix+scratch

He has a number of videos on how to tell if a scratch is in the paint or just the clear coat and the best way to fix clear coat scratches by wet sanding. Used the technique on my Challenger when I owned it and it worked like a champ.

Reactions: mdiym714
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.