Charger Forums banner

Tire help, 245/40/20?

14K views 36 replies 7 participants last post by  PC63 
#1 ·
So I need some tire help, Im getting new wheels and the tire size the shop is recommending me is 245/40/20. The tire looks like is going to be fine but I'm curious to see what the experts thinks? My car is going to be on Eibachs pro kit just to mention. Please HELP.....:beerchug::confused:

#2 ·
That's one fat tire - will fill up wheelwell nicely

#3 ·
Really, I was googling the tire size and alot say its thin. I'm curious to see what the charger pros thought? so that tire will work....?

#4 ·
245/45/20's are what comes on the srt8's and R/T's with 20 inch rims. 255/45/20's rear and 245/45/20's on the front for the srt8's with the Eagle F1 Tires.

245/40/20 is going to be a little shorter than your stock tires.

I've got the 245/45/20's on my 20 inch rims and the speedometer is dead on.

#5 ·
Right now I have the stock 17's on and I lined the 245/40/20 tires without rims next to the stock and they look the same, but im going to have it lowered on Eibachs. I dont want to regret it in the end.....

So 245/40/20 doable?

#6 ·
What's the size of the 17's on the car?

#7 ·
Their 215/65/17 Goodyears....

#8 ·
215/65/17 = 28.00 inches tall

245/40/20 = 27.71 inches tall

245/45/20 = 28.68 inches tall

So if you have the 215/65/17's stock, the 245/40/20 is a better match for your car because it's closer to the stock size.

The 245/45/20's is the same height as the 225/60/18's that come on the R/T's stock.

#9 ·
Thanks bro.....

With the 245/40/20 match the best to the stocks do you see any problems once lowered with Eibach pro kit?/or stock until my kit arrives because Ill be getting the rims tomorrow....

#10 ·
A 255/40/20 would be the closest match to your stock tire size being only .03" off. But going slighter shorter definitely won't hurt since you are lowering the car with the Eibach springs. The 255/40/20 would be about .4" inch wider than the 245/40/20

#11 ·
Cool thanks man, I now know that its not a bad size. I was just worried because I typed it in google, some other forum sites for cars said it wouldnt work? but some people said yea....:confused:

#12 ·
Well, I don't know what will or won't work for sure. Haven't been in the Charger scene long enough and I'm not a fan of big wheels. I'm happy with my stock 18" wheels and have no intentions of going bigger.

This is the tire/wheel calculator that I prefer to use.

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

It gives the most info in what I feel is the best format of any I have seen online. You can put in different tires sizes to compare the measurements side by side and also be able to see how the different sizes will effect your speedo and odo as well, unless you have some way to correct the computer for the new tire size. IMO, I'd go with the wider 255 series tire. I think it will look better on the car, but I don't know how the clearance will be on the front end.

#13 ·
Thanks man, I seen some people using the 55's on the rear. I will have my wheels tomorrow, hopefully I can get all the info before then....

#15 ·
I just want to make sure the tire is not going to look funny on the car....:confused:

The car will be lowered...

#18 ·
:bump:....:D

#25 ·
I sold my other wheels so I wanted something different. Im on my way to get my wheels I got 245/45/20 good years....

#24 ·
the first number in the tire size is the width of the tire. so a 255 width tire is 255 milimeters across(roughly 10"). The second number is the aspect ratio for the sidewall. More or less it's a percentage of the width. so a 255/40 the sidewall higth will be 40% of the width, so if the width is 255, then the sidewall will be 102mm tall or roughly 4" from the bead to the tread. Overall diamter of a 255/40/20 tire is 28.03". The stock tire size you listed is exactly 28". But as mentioned, some tires vary slightly from the "standard" sizes based on the numbers. So on 255 wide tire could be wider or narrower than a 255 tire from another manufacturer. Which is why you never mix and match tire brands on a car.

#27 ·
I'm pretty sure that the R/T's come stock with 245/45/20 not 245/40/20. I'm running 255/45/20 on the front of my R/T with SRT suspension and there are no clearance or any other issues at all with that size. 245/40/20 seems like it would have too short of a sidewall.

Edit: just verified on TireRack that the stock tire size is 245/45/20

#28 ·
Yea I seen that I googled the size and alot of people with lx's are running the 245/45's, I went to the shop and was waiting for them to put the wheels on then the worker came and showed me a scratch on the wheel. I was so pissed he asked if I wanted a new one and I said hell yea so now I got to wait until tomorrow....

I went with good year eagle's 245/45/20 all around....

#30 ·
Now that looks bad ass, I'm so excited to get mine done that I cant wait anymore LoL. Did you have to roll the fenders or camber kit?

#31 ·
I had to get the camber kit to get the alignment right but I didn't need to roll the fenders, there's still plenty of clearance, keep in mind I have the stock wheels, some after market wheels have different offsets which may push the tire out closer to the fender. i'm actually thinking about going to a 255/45, I have talk to alot of people that have that size on lowered cars and don't have issues.
If you go with the same setup as mine, you won't have any tire rubbing issues, just watch the speed bumps and driveways, you may scrape a little underneath.

#32 ·
Cool, On the camber kit did you do both front and back....?

#35 ·
I'm at work,these are all I have right now, I might have more at home I can send later.
the first pic is stock, the second is with Eibach but before the camber kit, you can see how the back wheels lean in, the last pic is with the camber kit, all the wheels are straight now.

Attachments

#36 ·
Thats looks clean bro...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.