Charger Forums banner

Oil light then engine light. What should I do?

5K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  dassem 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Ok so my bad boy has not gave me amy problems. My oil change is due in about less then 50 miles ( I change every 3000mi) but this morning before leaving to work I turned car on and the oil light stayed on. So I was like huh. I go and check. It needed about a quart. So I added a quart and turned car back on. Oil light turned off. But now my check engine light turned on and stayed on. What should I do? My guess is of course do my oil and filter change this Saturday. But first should I pull out fuse 11 to refresh the computer? Just to see if turns back on? Or should I take it to my nearest Autozone to check engine light?? Any advice guys?

#2 ·
Obviously using QuantumBlue you could go 4 times that long...saving you some money and better oil........ but that is not the question here.

The oil light comes on due to lack of pressure really. Also comes on when the oil level is low and the engine oil is full of air bubbles.....cavitation.

I would use the...... on off on off on....... from your ignition switch to see what comes on the odometer. That will find the trouble code for you. Since you have a 2007, that is available for you.

Once you know the results of that trouble code post it here so we can help you.;)

Regards,
Brian
BND Automotive LLC:driving:
440-821-9040
www.bndautomotive.com

#3 ·
How to Display Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Get in the car, close the door. Perform the following steps fairly quickly (less than 3 seconds) :

Turn key to ON
then back to ACC
then to ON
then back to ACC
then to ON

Then wait.

If there are any stored codes, they will appear quickly, in place of the odometer. For instance an "INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE SENSOR CIRCUIT HIGH" error will set a code of P0113.

Once the codes have been displayed, you'll see "-----". If there are no trouble codes, the dashes will be the first item displayed.

After a few seconds, the display changes to "-dOnE-".

#10 · (Edited)
I did mine a couple of years ago. It was pretty easy; nowhere near a $350 job. I did it without taking the alternator off, since taking the alternator out is pretty fiddly on the 5.7!

The trick that helped me to do get the sensor out was to buy a socket the right size (I've forgotten what size it was, but it should be easy to figure out when you have the part).

Also, as with most of these connectors, look carefully at the video to see how to remove the connector from the sensor without breaking it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.