Charger Forums banner

Does anyone know the lug nut torque on the R/T wheels?

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  PRoBLeMz 
#1 ·
I have been looking everywhere for the lug nut torque on the R/T wheels and I cannot find it anywhere...

Does anyone happen to know what it is?

#5 ·
steelwheels said:
what wrench would be best for wheels removal ?
That's actually a pretty good question. When I did mine, I reluctantly used my torque wrence to remove the lugs. However, that pained me since I was worried about messing up the calibration on the wrench. Therefore, I'm considering the purchase of a cheap Gorilla lug wrench or similar for the removal.

Also, for your torque wrench, make sure to get a deep socket and and extension so that you don't scrape the paint as you rotate.

#6 ·
Puropuro said:
That's actually a pretty good question. When I did mine, I reluctantly used my torque wrence to remove the lugs. However, that pained me since I was worried about messing up the calibration on the wrench. Therefore, I'm considering the purchase of a cheap Gorilla lug wrench or similar for the removal.

Also, for your torque wrench, make sure to get a deep socket and and extension so that you don't scrape the paint as you rotate.
I have a cheapo 1/2"-drive 18" long socket wrench (K-Mart or somesuch) that works pretty well. The my old 24" 1/2"-drive JCPenney torque wrench for tightening. (Anyone remember when JCPenney had tools the equal of Sears Craftsman stuff?)

#8 ·
Half 918 said:
severen 110 is the correct amount. Make sure that you when you torque each wheel that they are not on the ground. You can get significantly false torque numbers, this is a common mistake!:)
I did not know that! I've always torqued my wheels once the car is back down, just like I saw them do at all of the tire shops I've ever been to (I figured they knew what they were doing).

#9 ·
Yea its been my experiance that most shops just pretend to torque the lugs, they are not really intrested in getting all of them the same, any true performance shop will Torque them while off the ground using a chock to hold the wheel in position so they true numbers.:confused:

#10 ·
Half 918 said:
Yea its been my experiance that most shops just pretend to torque the lugs, they are not really intrested in getting all of them the same, any true performance shop will Torque them while off the ground using a chock to hold the wheel in position so they true numbers.:confused:
Really? OH DAMN.....so, is the risk that we overtighten or undertighten when on the ground?

#12 ·
Half 918 said:
The risk is that you will under tighten the lugs. Its not really something to worry about but for those who really want there lugs to be exactly what there expecting that is the correct way.
Incorrectly/unevenly tightened lugs can warp wheels or rotors, and may even come undone!

#14 ·
unequal pressure which might cause warpage in the rotor.... after I read the statement that the wheel should be off the ground makes total sense, im guessing the weight of the car and providing that extra pressure on the nuts could adversly effect the torque reading... I learned something new!!! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.