Thinking of getting a charger - Dodge Charger Forums
General Charger Discussion General Discussion about the Dodge Charger.

post #1 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Gregger

(Thread Starter)
Thinking of getting a charger

Hello all, let me start by saying I'm 50 something and I'm in need of a sporty family car that will satisfy my midlife crisis . My current ride is a 2012 Volvo S60 which I will be giving my daughter. I'm looking a an SXT AWD (live in NE PA snow country) with most of the options. I just did a test drive over the weekend and was really impressed with the ride, handling, interior quality, etc. MY questions are: How does the charger hold up over time? I hate the rims.....any suggestions on after market rims? I like the redline color but cant find one local and was wondering which red do most of you like? Any other input will be greatly appreciated.....I plan on getting one within the next few months....Sticker on the one I'm looking at is 37,780 and right now the dealer is giving $6K off.... Good deal or do I try and get a few hundred more off? Thanks!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregger For This Useful Post:
N8ECH (03-20-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 11:34 AM
ZXMustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregger View Post
Hello all, let me start by saying I'm 50 something and I'm in need of a sporty family car that will satisfy my midlife crisis . My current ride is a 2012 Volvo S60 which I will be giving my daughter. I'm looking a an SXT AWD (live in NE PA snow country) with most of the options. I just did a test drive over the weekend and was really impressed with the ride, handling, interior quality, etc. MY questions are: How does the charger hold up over time? I hate the rims.....any suggestions on after market rims? I like the redline color but cant find one local and was wondering which red do most of you like? Any other input will be greatly appreciated.....I plan on getting one within the next few months....Sticker on the one I'm looking at is 37,780 and right now the dealer is giving $6K off.... Good deal or do I try and get a few hundred more off? Thanks!!!
I wouldnt consider an SXT sporty at all. You'd need a 5.7 hemi car or a scat pack. Otherwise you are going to be just getting a family sedan.
post #3 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM
Stevens12

Agreed. The v6 is a good motor but it's not exactly screaming mid-life crisis like a Scat Pack car does. As far as reliable, they're very reliable. Most of the issues you hear of are very minor and can be handled by the dealerships easy enough. Driveline is pretty bullet proof. And as far as color, I've loving the Octane red like crazy these days. I wouldn't settle either. If your going to buy one, buy right the first time. If your not finding the color you want, then have your dealership find it.

Current 2013 Dodge Charger SRT8, Corsa Extreme exhaust, 20% window tint, AEM drop in filter
post #4 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 12:23 PM
N8ECH

Gregger:
Whatever model Charger you end up with, I predict you will enjoy it. I too am in my 50's, and brought home my first Charger last October. I have been a sports sedan enthusiast since I bought my 1995 Taurus SHO back in 1997.
I understand that some folks think that anything with more than 2 doors can't be sporty, but I disagree. Being able to take your family or friends with you where ever you go in comfort is important. Especially, if those family members are young enough to need car seats.

I have wanted a Charger since they came out in 06, but the original body style was not my fav, and they were too new and pricey for me at the time. I think they are as reliable as any other car as long as you take care of them. The LE folks run them pretty hard, and they come back for more.

Do yourself a favor if you are not in a big hurry, and peruse the internet for the best pricing. It is not not uncommon to save $2-$3K if you are willing to travel a bit. I am in southwest Ohio, and I found mine on autotrader.com in Dundee, MI.

If you haven't driven one with a Hemi, I encourage you to do so before you buy. In my case, I had driven both, and plan on keeping mine for a long time. At this point, it is not a daily driver, so mpg is not a huge thing for me. Being semi-retired helps also.

Don

2004 Flame Red Dodge Durango SLT Hemi AWD 3/26/10
2014 Billet Silver Dodge Charger R/T Hemi AWD 10/27/16

Last edited by N8ECH; 03-21-2017 at 11:09 AM.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 12:51 PM
DROCK2K1

There are some nice RT's, Scat Packs, and my favorite Daytonas running 20% off right now. At 38 I feel like my 5.7 Daytona fit the bill for my midlife crisis. I live in Indiana and understand that I will need to drive in snow/ice. I am coming from a 2015 RWD Chrysler 300 and had no issues at all driving in winter weather with a good winter tire (Blizzak).

For red, I like the Tricoat Red and loooooove Octane Red. I went back and forth between Octane Red and the Yellow Jacket Daytona I ended up with.

Last edited by DROCK2K1; 03-20-2017 at 12:58 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM
sal jc

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXMustang View Post
I wouldnt consider an SXT sporty at all. You'd need a 5.7 hemi car or a scat pack. Otherwise you are going to be just getting a family sedan.
^ This
post #7 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 01:36 PM
JCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregger View Post
I strongly recommend making a drive outside your area and go after a 2016 model. Right now Dodge dealers are taking a HUGE amount off of the MSRP to move these since they are almost 2 model years old with the 2018s due to start in July (?). I just traded my 2014 SE with the 3.6 V6 and the 8spd and I can tell you that it was a hoot to drive. And with my sport suspension and the 8spd I was indeed "sporty" despite not having a V8 rumble.

But this is something to ponder, I just bought a 2016 R/T with the 5.7 for $28k and it has navigation as well. Like I mentioned above, dealers really want to move these units off their books so go after one of those. Frankly, with your budget you can easily get a V8 with no problem BUT if you do buy an SXT you won't be disappointed. The 3.6 and 8spd are a fantastic combo. I never had any problems in the 31k miles I had him, not even a rattle. Hit me up if you want more information about my ownership experience with the 3.6.

I'll leave you with this video of one of my last 0-60 runs so you can see what you're getting in to performance wise with just a K&N drop-in filter and nothing else with the 3.6.

2016 Dodge Charger R/T
2014 Dodge Charger SE 3.6 8AT (aka "Dirk") -- Traded and missed
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 2.4L 4x2 9AT (the wife's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, aka "Boop" as in Beep Boop Jeep)

Last edited by JCE; 03-20-2017 at 02:38 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM
R/T MUSCLE

Garage
You won't regret it, I've owned my 2010 R/T., since brand new and I still love the car..

Big John

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009 - Copy.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	245649  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2010 Dodge Charger R/T with Road and Track group package,tinted all around. Black Crystal Pearl coat paint. 1966 Pontiac GTO tripower 4spd, 390posi. GTO made the cover of High Performance Pontiac Magazine Dec/92
post #9 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 02:38 PM
JCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by R/T MUSCLE View Post
You won't regret it, I've owned my 2010 R/T., since brand new and I still love the car..

Big John

^ That is perhaps the BEST view of the 06-10 Charger right there. Looks super aggressive from that angle.
The Following User Says Thank You to JCE For This Useful Post:
R/T MUSCLE (03-20-2017)
post #10 of 30 Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
FST4DR

I don't think that the size of the engine determines "Sporty". There are dozens of cars today that are considered sporty by all the mags I read that have V6 and 4 cylinder engines and do not do that well in the 0-60 dash. I do agree about the 2016's. If you can find an 2016 AWD (Which is not offered with the Hemi) there are some great sales going on. If you are determined to get the color that you want you might consider ordering one when there are huge rebates given. April is one of the best months to order a car from Dodge with their discounts.

2013 Charger SRT8 (Diablotoona tune and CAI)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Dodge Charger Forums > Dodge Charger Discussion > General Charger Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Dodge Charger Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List