Charger Forums banner

Synthetic oil change interval

4K views 37 replies 14 participants last post by  robvia 
#1 ·
I switched over to synthetic at the first oil change, now I'm just wondering about when to do the next one. The car gets driven just about every day but we still dont put a lot of miles on it. So do I change it by mileage or time?

#2 ·
Dodgefreak said:
I switched over to synthetic at the first oil change, now I'm just wondering about when to do the next one. The car gets driven just about every day but we still dont put a lot of miles on it. So do I change it by mileage or time?
This is controversial.. I drive the car very very hard so I change right around 4000 - 4500 depends on how the oil is looking I know this is not scientifc at all..

I changed to synthetic right at 733 miles and am now gonig on about 3300 miles on the synthetic I will probably get her changed this weekend.

no good answer here ... everyone has their opinion I usually change between 3500-4000 with syn

#4 ·
This what mobil has to say.

Benefits:

Outstanding wear protection.

Excellent high- and low-temperature performance.

Pours at temperatures as low as -53ºF and protects at oil temperatures as high as 400ºF.

Improved protection against sludge and harmful deposits.

Excellent fuel economy benefits (specific grades/viscosities).

#5 ·
I'm going in for my first Oil Change this weekend, and will probably have my mechanic use Synthetic...is any one brand better than the others, or is like it is with Dino Oil, and it's personal preference?

#6 ·
In my opinion (presuming a new engine in perfect condition):

Synthetic oil is good for 20K+ miles. The filter? Depends... Prolly not that long. A good one's good for maybe 7-10k miles.

Bottom line for me: follow the owner's manual, at least while in warranty.

YMMV! :D

#7 ·
This is mobil 1 answer to the change interval that I found.

Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology exceeds the latest industry and OEM requirements. It is designed for vehicles under warranty and will provide protection for the maximum oil change interval recommended in your owner's manual or by your oil life sensor.

#8 ·
I changed my regular oil at 3,000 mile intervals, but with Mobil 1, I plan on changing it at 5,000 mile intervals.

#10 ·
HemiChemi said:
In my opinion (presuming a new engine in perfect condition):

Synthetic oil is good for 20K+ miles. The filter? Depends... Prolly not that long. A good one's good for maybe 7-10k miles.

Bottom line for me: follow the owner's manual, at least while in warranty.

YMMV! :D
ohh dear come on Chemi 20,000 ? ouch ;)

s:devil:

#12 ·
MCO_Carter said:
I'm going in for my first Oil Change this weekend, and will probably have my mechanic use Synthetic...is any one brand better than the others, or is like it is with Dino Oil, and it's personal preference?
As long as the SAE numbers are the same between synthetic brands, it won't mae a difference. Mine preference is mobil 1, cos I have been exposed to its advertising the longest.........:D

#14 ·
I still change at 3000. I think with a new motor there might be extra metal floating around from the break in. Even the fact that it gets beat on and turns high rpms often so I would play it safe and change often. Frequent oil changes will help your motor live a full life. :D

#15 ·
LosingSleep said:
I still change at 3000. I think with a new motor there might be extra metal floating around from the break in. Even the fact that it gets beat on and turns high rpms often so I would play it safe and change often. Frequent oil changes will help your motor live a full life. :D
Well - not really. Frequent oil changes are a waste of moeny and a waste of resources, as well as increasing waste oil! The filter takes care of the metal particles above a certain size, with the particles below a certain size not really doing mych harm. With synthetic, there really in't any point in changing before 6K miles IMHO (and even that's terribly wasteful - but I have to look after my warranty)!

#16 ·
arfur said:
Well - not really. Frequent oil changes are a waste of moeny and a waste of resources, as well as increasing waste oil! The filter takes care of the metal particles above a certain size, with the particles below a certain size not really doing mych harm. With synthetic, there really in't any point in changing before 6K miles IMHO (and even that's terribly wasteful - but I have to look after my warranty)!

I believe the extended warranty requires 3000.

#18 ·
#21 ·
Just my .02.

1.First off use sythetic it is far superior to tradition oil.
2.Mobil 1,Royal purple, Amsoil, RedLine are the only true synthetics on the market.(I know I will get hate mail for this but it's true,even if they advertise 100% synthetic it's not, I will elaborate later if I need too).
3.Until your engine warrenty has expirend I'd stick to the 3K intervals,un less you can get something in writting from DCX on using sythetic on an extended change intervals, just c.y.a.
4. And if you do get the nod to go longer change your oil filter about every 2-3K.
Every thing I own I use Mobil1(because its more readily available) and K&N oil fiters. filter change every 3k miles and oil every 8-10K.
My 95 sub has 250k plus miles and I still get 200psi on a cylinder comp test and I use it to pull a 6000lb boat.My wifes 98 Must GT has 140K HARD miles.

#22 ·
since we all have an opinion.....if you look at the manual there are 2 intervals...for really tough stop and go driving - every 3000.....for lots of highway mileage 6000 miles (i think schedule B).

anyway. i change at 6000 miles for oil and filter. i use mobile 1 and i use a k and n oil filter. this is how i do it. i am amazed at the quality of the oil when i change it out at 6000 miles. i could easily change out much later but i will stick with the longest schedule the book says...which is 6000 miles. personally, i think you could go an easy 12,000 miles with the combo i have but i see no need to stretch it out. 6,000 works for me.

#23 ·
GoDaddy said:
since we all have an opinion.....if you look at the manual there are 2 intervals...for really tough stop and go driving - every 3000.....for lots of highway mileage 6000 miles (i think schedule B).

anyway. i change at 6000 miles for oil and filter. i use mobile 1 and i use a k and n oil filter. this is how i do it. i am amazed at the quality of the oil when i change it out at 6000 miles. i could easily change out much later but i will stick with the longest schedule the book says...which is 6000 miles. personally, i think you could go an easy 12,000 miles with the combo i have but i see no need to stretch it out. 6,000 works for me.
Your right ...but the reason I said 3k is because if it ever came down to a nitpick issue for an engine warrenty DCX would probably try to keep from giving someon an engine because of the oil change schedule.

#25 ·
Fedexjetmx said:
Your right ...but the reason I said 3k is because if it ever came down to a nitpick issue for an engine warrenty DCX would probably try to keep from giving someon an engine because of the oil change schedule.
That is true - but they'd have to be arguing that they designed a real hunk of junk if you couldn't extend to 6K!! :dead:

#26 · (Edited)
True true true. i was thinking about my brother-in-laws run in with DCX over his engine in his dakota last year. They ended up in court because DCX claimed he had abused his truck because they found rubber inside of his fender wells which they constituted as abuse, he ask then if they had ever tried to get a boat out of a lake on a slick smooth boat ramp. And he ened up losing. (it threw a rod on the ride home from the lake):mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.